Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    As recently as the Alex Ferguson regime, Man United have played two top flight games in two days. 1st January 1988 v Charlton at Old Trafford (0-0  Bob Bolder heroics) then the next day they played away at Watford winning 1-0
    Perhaps Bolder's best game for us? His worst was undoubtedly just over a year earlier a few miles away at Maine Road on his debut. I remember thinking that we needed Johns back as soon as possible, without thinking that he would go on to be our deserved number 1 for a number of years. 
  • Options
    As recently as the Alex Ferguson regime, Man United have played two top flight games in two days. 1st January 1988 v Charlton at Old Trafford (0-0  Bob Bolder heroics) then the next day they played away at Watford winning 1-0

Manchester United and Arsenal played Premier League games on November 4th 2001 and then met in the League Cup a day later.

Arsenal hosted Charlton Athletic in their league game but staggeringly lost 4-2 despite having 27 shots on goal.

United had an even worse day - they lost 3-1 away to arch-rivals Liverpool thanks to a Michael Owen brace and that John Arne Riise free-kick.

One day later, the two rivals met in the cup 

The final score? Arsenal 4-0 Man Utd. That's what happens when you put Dwight Yorke in centre-midfield.

• Options
    Football fact:

Football loyalty by players is a myth:

Both Rooney and Gerrard were given massive pay rises to stay put.

Aubamayang will be on 250k a week for 3 years at the Arsenal ! Not bad for a guy who is now 32 ! 

Matt Le Tissier, may have been an exception and the Guernsey born player was the most naturally gifted footballer I have seen on the ball who have played for England (Paul Gascoigne was the main rival for that title)

Matthew was loyal to Southampton where he played for 16 years but his work rate and stamina was problematical, he had no pace and knew that he wouldn't be given a free reign at any of the top clubs. Only 8 caps for England proves that unless you build a team around him, Matt wasn't going to chase back. 
    This is not a fact. What about Steve Bull?
    Not where near a fact, just an opinion. 

Gerrard may have got a pay rise to stay at Liverpool, but I bet he could have earnt more at Chelsea. Yes it wasn't complete loyalty because he got an incentive to stay, but loyalty nonetheless. 
    But this thread is entitled facts. 
    Yes I was agreeing with you. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Probably isnt surprising seeing the amount they get but in the last two years Man Utd have had 42-penalties!!

Thats more than one every other game
  • Options
    I guess the argument will be that they play on the counter attack quite a bit with fast forwards in Martial, Rashford etc so are running at unorganised defences at pace, hence the penalties.

But some certainly seem very soft!
  • Options
    I guess the argument will be that they play on the counter attack quite a bit with fast forwards in Martial, Rashford etc so are running at unorganised defences at pace, hence the penalties.

But some certainly seem very soft!
    Man Utd have always managed to win soft penalties though dating back to the Fergie days
  • Options

Surely this isn’t true , madness if it is .
    nearly as good as Inniss and Famewo 
  • Options
    this cannot be true
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s as a central defensive pairing , obviously Maldini was usually at left back 
  • Options
    It’s as a central defensive pairing , obviously Maldini was usually at left back 
    yeah but the played 196 games as a central partnership and conceded 23 goals

thery played 1621 games together in all.

• Options
    Charlton Athletic have never won a game after going 1-0 down.

I know it's true, I read it on here.

• Options
    The Maldini-Baresi stat has been around for a while and is 100% absolutely fake. No doubting that they're 2 of the very best defenders of all time, but as if it's possible to only concede the equivalent of 4 goals a season for about 6 years.

The actual CB pairing stat is still extremely impressive though, 297 games, 221 goals conceded. 

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Last time Man Utd and Liverpool met as 1st v 2nd was in 1997

No guarantee it will happen this weekend either
  • Options

Stat continues 
  • Options

Stat continues 
    It's 1st v 3rd now unfortunately 
  • Options
    Lewington has played 89.86% of Mk Dons's league games.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Doesn't surprise me really... He was in the Wimbledon academy and came through their ranks just before they became Milton Keynes 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't surprise me really... He was in the Wimbledon academy and came through their ranks just before they became Milton Keynes 
    Do you want to come and piss on my chips as well? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    The ball burst in the 1946 final involving Charlton, and it burst in a league match Charlton played a week later, and in the 1947 cup final too.
    And in the 1998 Play-off final
    Never knew that one...
    That's not true.
    Yes it is. Deep into the second half. Danny Mills was about to take a throw in on the right, but felt the ball deciding. He signalled to the ref who checked it and swapped it for another match ball.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What I didnt realise was the fact that Dean is Ray's son!! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Doesn't surprise me, I thought everyone knew that!

:wink:
    I'd say Dean and Ray do, at least.
  • Options
    I don’t have the answer to this, but during the WBA v Man City game tonight, the NBC commentator said that if they win, Man City will be the 9th team to top the league at the end of a day this season. He also said this will be the first time this happened for 34 years. 
    I’m assuming he’s right, but if so, I was wondering who were those 9 teams in 1986-87? And were we one of them? (Remember, this was the year we escaped relegation by beating Leeds at St Andrews.)

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Doesn't surprise me, I thought everyone knew that!

:wink:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Over a third of the goals Manchester City have let in this Premier League season (and nearly 30% of the goals in every competition) came in one game.
  • Options
    Saw a good one tonight - Manchester City have become the 5th club to record 2000 victories in League football.

Top 3 victories in League football are Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Can you name 4th and 6th on the list?
  • Options
    Everton?