Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Samuel Smiths pubs ban phones

Good for business or not ?

I suggest not.

Samuel Smiths pubs have banned people from using phones, in an attempt to foster "social conversations". Various pubs across the country have been sent a memo making clear that people should not be allowed to use their phones or chat in the bar, and that if they wish to they should be directed outside in the same way as if they were smoking.

It follows a similar rule that saw swearing banned in the pubs. The strange rules are said to be enforced by the company's 73-year-old owner, who is rumoured to enter the pubs undercover to check that they are being kept to. The phone rule enforces a wide-ranging ban on phones and tablets, as well as including particular bans on "pictures of sport" and "music apps".

://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/samuel-smiths-pubs-ban-phones-to-protect-social-conversation/ar-BBVoN8s?li=BBoPWjQ

Comments

• Options
    If my phone rings when I am in the pub, the above is what I do - or, kill the call - good idea.
  • Options
    What is it about people who run chains of pubs thinking they should rule the world? :lol: 

I like the idea BTW, just not sure how commercially successful it would be? What attracts me to Sam Smiths pubs is the decent quality ale and the good value that they offer. Like a chav free spoons...     
  • Options
    Banning all use of phones, tablets and laptops seems crazy to me. You're on a long walk and fancy a quick pint and sit down to read Charlton Life, and this isn't allowed any more?
  • Options
    I should like Sam Smiths pubs. They normally have character, prices are cheap, they don’t attract the chav market, they make their own beer, etc.

But I just don’t like them. Can’t really put my finger on why not.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I should like Sam Smiths pubs. They normally have character, prices are cheap, they don’t attract the chav market, they make their own beer, etc.

The lager”s shit
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I find the beer range really dull. The one cask ale is fine, but I like a range to choose from
  • Options
    Can I say I absolutely detest these pubs.  Never once had a decent pint in one and would avoid at all costs.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Maybe I'm not used to London prices, but I don't find them cheap. The only ones I ever go in are the Cittie of York and the Captain Kidd and I always think 'ouch'.

As for banning phones and swearing, It seems like Humphrey Smith is setting himself up to be the second maddest pub chain owner in the country. I wouldn't want to be one of his staff trying to enforce that.
    "I'm sorry sir, but your not allowed to use your phone in here"
    "Fark off you carnt, I'm foning for a cab. Muppet."
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Can I say I absolutely detest these pubs.  Never once had a decent pint in one and would avoid at all costs.
    Their chocolate stout is phenomenal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

I find the beer range really dull. The one cask ale is fine, but I like a range to choose from
    Dull. That’s what they are. Full stop. They’re dull pubs.

Thanks for that. Was struggling to put my finger on it.
  • Options
    Bit like Sun In The Sands when it declared itself a "football free zone" during the Euros one year (was run by fat non sporting types, but who claimed to like rugby, you know the sort), was empty throughout the tournament 
  • Options
    great idea
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Agree with that with regards to the cask ale....try some of their bottled beers.
  • Options
    I can see the logic. I work away three or four days a week, and forgot my phone last week. Absolutely liberating. Will forget it again next week.
  • Options
    Bit like Sun In The Sands when it declared itself a "football free zone" during the Euros one year (was run by fat non sporting types, but who claimed to like rugby, you know the sort), was empty throughout the tournament 
    you sure they weren't just Scottish 
    Possibly, always wearing rugby tops though
  • Options
    Banning all use of phones, tablets and laptops seems crazy to me. You're on a long walk and fancy a quick pint and sit down to read Charlton Life, and this isn't allowed any more?
    I usually take a book to the pub...
  • Options
    I usually take a book to the pub...
    That's what doesn't make sense about this "ban". You're allowed to sit there and read a book (or a paper), but you can't read a kindle or your phone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How are you supposed to tell your wife, yes you did find it ok, no I’m not really enjoying myself, yes I’ve got my keys, no I won’t wake the kids, yes I’ll open the kitchen door if I bring food home, yes I was just about to leave but Pete has just bought me another beer, I’ll have to buy him another one back, yes I’m glad Strictly was good, yes it was a surprise that one got eliminated, yes Pete and Phil are fine, no I’m not sure because I haven’t actually asked them but they seem fine, yes it is busy tonight...
    Before you go out, say to her 'I'm going to the pub. See you later.'
    job done
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Off_it said:

The lager”s shit
    What do they serve these days? They used to serve Ayinger Brau, which I thought was OK.

Quite like the Sam Smiths pub on Marylebone High Street. Can't remember the name. Dark, plain wood paneled moody pub with a real fire last time I went.
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Off_it said:

The lager”s shit
    What do they serve these days? They used to serve Ayinger Brau, which I thought was OK.

Quite like the Sam Smiths pub on Marylebone High Street. Can't remember the name. Dark, plain wood paneled moody pub with a real fire last time I went.
    Angel in the Fields.

The bar is in the window, which seems to block out the natural light and makes it all a bit .... dull.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Boom said:
    Off_it said:

The lager”s shit

Angel in the Fields.

The bar is in the window, which seems to block out the natural light and makes it all a bit .... dull.
    Popped in there the other week for a swift 1/2 while I was in the area.
  • Options
    How can a pub, which depends on people turning up and staying around for few hours, to make money, ban what is now an essential everyday harmless item? 

Are they expecting their staff to tell Terry a 40 pint a week punter to not use his phone or get out?
  • Options
    How can a pub, which depends on people turning up and staying around for few hours, to make money, ban what is now an essential everyday harmless item? 

Are they expecting their staff to tell Terry a 40 pint a week punter to not use his phone or get out?

Suppose it is all about how annoying "Terry" is, and how loud while sitting at the bar

• Options
    Went in one yesterday, it was strange not being able to follow the game on twitter.  At one point an old fella bellowed across the pub "you can't flecking use your phone or swear in here love".