Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Says something about the current finances of football when a move from Charlton to Brentford can be life changing. 
    Brentford have money and are building a brand new stadium ready to move into next season. I bet they offered more in wages than what he is earning at our place.
    I wouldn't consider Brentford much of a step up from us anyway, not when you look at the other ex Premier League clubs in this division. Their new ground will be nice but much smaller than The Valley, while their training facilities need a lot of work done to them

Yes they buy well, but they are also a selling club, Mepham to Bournemouth in January, then Konsa and Maupay this summer
  • Thing is, Lyle will never really had a pay day despite being 29. His wages at charlton or when he was at sheff u are probably the highest he’s been paid. He may only have 2-3 years left of earning at the top end before he’s back to his afc salary. Can’t blame the fella for wanting a pay day.
  • The best way to move onto bigger and better things is to play bigger and better, Lyle comes across as an intelligent mature guy, I’m sure IF he does want a move in January he will know it’s in his interest to perform to the highest standard.  As BFG did, really don’t see his performance being an issue.
  • Genuinely think that if this deal has fallen through, we will look to get in another striker who is currently out of contract. A deal until January will suit both parties and we can reassess and bring in someone else if needed.
  • The bottom line with Lyle is you can understand at this stage in his career why he would want a massive pay rise if the opportunity arose, as it did. But he signed a two year deal with us and that has been working out pretty well for him and it is quite possible he wouldn't be offered a pay rise of that magnitude had he not joined us. Who knows but when you are under contract, you don't have the final word.

What I do know is that his opportunity for a big pay day has not gone and if he is going to get it, taking any percentages off his performance levels is not going to help him. There seemed to be a bit of desperation with Brentford, as to be fair, Taylor is 30 and unproven at this level. I think he will do well in the Championship, but for clubs to want him going forwards, he is going to have to show he is a good championship player so a sulk would do him actually no favours.

He has been so good for us, I hesitate to say it is possible to step up a gear. But I would have thought his motivation would be to try to do that rather than not do his best. At the stage he is at in his career it would be massive error to ease off and I believe him to be a very intelligent bloke who will realise that.

I think Taylor may think he has done his bit for us and we owe him. I suspect Bowyer had some sympathy for this, hence the attempts to get Toney. But what Bowyer can't do, and I'm sure Taylor will appreciate, is risk our season over this. Bowyer clearly tried to help him but it wasn't to be. If we could have got Toney, I'm sure Taylor would have been a Brentford palyer now. Hopefully we can offer him an improved deal, which he deserves and a buy out clause (£4m say). And hopefully he won't want to activate it come January.

If blame has to be passed out, why did Brentford not go about this sooner? 
    Because he was not their main target  

They became desperate. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    This is terrible of FA. They set a transfer deadline odmf 5pm yesterday. 24hrs later we are still waiting for a decision. Fucing useless. What happens if they bow approve? He should be allowed to play tomorrow. Have they got 1 82yr okd processingvthese?
    The FA may well have given their decision. Would the club announce that we have failed to sign someone or will LB just mention it in his presser after the match tomorrow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Rudders22 said:
    This is terrible of FA. They set a transfer deadline odmf 5pm yesterday. 24hrs later we are still waiting for a decision. Fucing useless. What happens if they bow approve? He should be allowed to play tomorrow. Have they got 1 82yr okd processingvthese?
    The FA may well have given their decision. Would the club announce that we have failed to sign someone or will LB just mention it in his presser after the match tomorrow?
    Wonder if Mr Cawley be able to illicit some more detail from the club regarding the hold up?
  • Anyone know what happened to Herbie Kane?

I don't think he moved anywhere yesterday. Saw something earlier about Portsmouth eyeing him up as a potential loan as L1 and 2 have additional time before their window closes.

Imagine he'll go to league one again
  • It feels nice to wake up on a morning like today, out here, and have no complaints about our club.
  • It feels nice to wake up on a morning like today, out here, and have no complaints about our club.
    Have you totally forgotten about the potholes ? Ffs.
  • Thing is, Lyle will never really had a pay day despite being 29. His wages at charlton or when he was at sheff u are probably the highest he’s been paid. He may only have 2-3 years left of earning at the top end before he’s back to his afc salary. Can’t blame the fella for wanting a pay day.
    he should be getting the payday with us though, he earned it IMO.
    Agreed and so should those staff who had their bonuses cancelled.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    T_C_E said:
    Lyle said himself he doesn't follow football nor any team in particular, its what he does for a living and he has to maximise his potential in what time he has left as a footballer. While Lee and others have helped him grow into what he has become, he must look around him and say this owner is hardly rewarding players for their loyalty. Lee and his staff as well as the fans can tell him how much he wanted at the club until they are blue in the face, what is in his pay packet is just as important if not more so. I see it written that Jonny Williams is the type of player wanted at Charlton, Williams has been paid probably in excess 20/25k (a guess) for the last 3? years. Taylor has never had that and at almost 30 his chances are limited.
    Can you imagine not being that into football when you're as good as Lyle? 
    David Batty, funny enough ex team mate of Bowyer, hated football, hasn't watch a game or kicked a ball since his last match.  It was his job, end of. 

It's hard for us to imagine, it's the same for train drivers, they don't all collect numbers on their days off :wink:

Most of us would give our left bollocks for either job 
  • Sponsored links:

• They’ve all gone home for the weekend so our case isn’t getting reviewed till next week. They are an absolute joke haha 
  • edited August 2019
    T_C_E said:
    Lyle said himself he doesn't follow football nor any team in particular, its what he does for a living and he has to maximise his potential in what time he has left as a footballer. While Lee and others have helped him grow into what he has become, he must look around him and say this owner is hardly rewarding players for their loyalty. Lee and his staff as well as the fans can tell him how much he wanted at the club until they are blue in the face, what is in his pay packet is just as important if not more so. I see it written that Jonny Williams is the type of player wanted at Charlton, Williams has been paid probably in excess 20/25k (a guess) for the last 3? years. Taylor has never had that and at almost 30 his chances are limited.
    Loyalty, he has been with us a year/ half of his contractual liabilities.  That is not loyalty.

he will rightly be disappointed not to get a life changing salary at age 30 but if he has any sense (and he comes across as intelligent enough) he will realise that if he has a successful 5 months, then he will likely be able to demand even more in wages from someone in Jan and with 6 months left until he is free and no more transfer windows we will be feeling the pinch to sell.  

He will realise he is in a strong position and play even harder than usual if you ask me, he is within sniffing distance of being sorted for life.
  • That is a fucking joke. Deadline at 5pm last night.  Won't can't it be announced today? Supposed we had no strikers tomorrow or lose tomorrow. We could argue that (if they do approve his confirmation), then we have been impededed by lack of stikers. FA are a bunch of arseholes. 
  • Leuth said:
    Solly covering at left-back last season was, I am sorry to say, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Charlton player, culminating in a ridiculous red-card tackle I think 
    Daft comment
    Why? I've only seen about 200-300 Charlton games total, maybe (in person or on TV) - not many of those games have featured someone routinely losing the ball, getting skinned and then diving in two-footed when we're chasing the game against 10 men
  • Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Now Lyles head has been turned, I dont think you get that 110% commitment to the cause we used to get. He will still perform and put a shift in, but it wont be because hes doing it for the good of Charlton. 

I think he will be gone in Jan and hopefully we will get Toney to replace him, Id take that. 

No resentment to Lyle from me if he does go, anyone would change jobs if a better offer came in. Ill be saying thanks for the goals and good luck in the future!
     Let's wait and see before writing him off.

Personally think there's going to be little to no change in his application.
    This for me. The only reason why Taylor would have gone to Brentford would he money. They are in the same League as us so you cant even use the Grant or Aribo analogies.

IF it is only about the money the  someone suggest to him to get a 2nd job. Players usually finish training by lunchtime so would have plenty of time for a shift at McDonalds or couriering. Yes, I'm being sarcastic but thats where we are atm. I dont believe he will sulk or throw his toys out the pram, but he may well do if some idiots BELIEVE all they read on social media & give him a hard time tomorrow. We all need to get behind him & give him our full support.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Solly covering at left-back last season was, I am sorry to say, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Charlton player, culminating in a ridiculous red-card tackle I think 
    Daft comment
    Why? I've only seen about 200-300 Charlton games total, maybe (in person or on TV) - not many of those games have featured someone routinely losing the ball, getting skinned and then diving in two-footed when we're chasing the game against 10 men
    What about players like Polish Pete who only get three minutes of Football or Christophe Lepoint who ran around as though he'd won a competition?