Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I can't help but feel a lot of if not all of our signings have been made with another campaign in league one in mind. Then when we got promoted we thought well we are not going to be able to any better with our budget now, so stuck with the original targets. I feel the loans may be a little less preconceived.
    Best of both worlds in that case surely?

Either the players are good enough and we stay up, or we go down and already have one of the best squads in League One so can make an instant return to the Championship
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I can't help but feel a lot of if not all of our signings have been made with another campaign in league one in mind. Then when we got promoted we thought well we are not going to be able to any better with our budget now, so stuck with the original targets. I feel the loans may be a little less preconceived.

Either the players are good enough and we stay up, or we go down and already have one of the best squads in League One so can make an instant return to the Championship
    You won’t, because the players are going to be in the main loans... equally as before the best get cherry picked once they have had a taste of championship football...
  • Options
    There are undoubtedly many things wrong with the structure of youth football and the stockpiling of so many players by certain clubs.

But Charlton have used other clubs to develop our players via the loan system. Philips at Cheltenham is a prime example, Grant at Crawley is another that benefitted us, and the player, greatly.

On the other hand the many loan keepers and strikers limited both players opportunities.

Bowyer has said he told Morgan at the start of pre-season that he'd be going out so this is not a reaction to Gallagher being available but a necessary part of Albie's growth. And whichever club he goes to he'll displace on of their own players.
    Cant really compare the loan system used by Charlton or Chelsea though can you - We dont really stockpile talent and loan out loads of players

We'll tend to send out about five or six over the course of the season which I think is a fair figure for clubs to do
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

You won’t, because the players are going to be in the main loans... equally as before the best get cherry picked once they have had a taste of championship football...
    We're only allowed 5 loans in a match day squad, so no, the players will be 'in the main loans'

I'm not quite sure what you want us to do, put out inferior sides just to play our own youth products? 
  • Options
    You have to play a long game with loans too. It is in our interest to get a high percentage of our loans right. Simply because if big clubs think their player is more likely to develop with you, they are more likely to loan him to you. Money is a lesser consideration for these clubs. 

Bowyer is building a good reputation with his loan signings and I suspect it is because he does his homework beforehand. If we loan a player who doesn't play, it will do some reputational damage, and a few of those and bringing in the right players will be harder. As we are now, Bowyer has a great pitch he can make to big clubs who may be in a position to loan us a player he thinks will improve us.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Last summer we had Simon Dawkins and Elliott Ward on trial. Some wanted them signed up as we needed numbers. Dawkins made 2 sub appearances for relegated Ipswich and Ward signed for Notts County in League 2.

Instead we brought in Cullen and Bielik. Cullen had some experience, Bielik on the other hand had only made 8 starts for Birmingham and none for Walsall due to injury.

One year on we’ve been promoted yet most think Bielik is now too good for us and we’re hoping we have a chance of Cullen coming back.

I’m not getting excited about a Chelsea youngster I hadn’t heard of until yesterday, but I also won’t write him off as no better than what we have. It’ll only happen if Bowyer and Gallen are confident that’s the case.

We’re looking for as many as 5 loans, bringing in Gallagher doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be an automatic first choice, neither does it stop us bringing in a few experienced midfielders to play alongside him.
    We had Duane Holmes on trial then too (or the summer before that) he’s ended up at Derby and played well in the play off final.

its all relative 
  • Options
    Oztumer CAM Perm
    Gallagher CM loan
    Whelan CM/CDM (Somehow perm)
    Cullen Loan CM
    ??? Loan CM
    ??? Loan ST
    ??? Loan ST

*IF* the above happened I would be happy.
    Plus what we have added, I think we would be around the 14-19th mark which I would happily take
    Would take that don't get me wrong, but I cannot see how we could possibly afford Whelan's wages
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    We have a worse budget than last season  and the worst in our league. What/who did you expect us to sign ?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glenn Whelan? I don’t think a 35 yo midfielder who’s on 30k+ a week will be what we need this year
  • Options
    Glenn Whelan? I don’t think a 35 yo midfielder who’s on 30k+ a week will be what we need this year

putting wages to one side you don't think we need an older head with extensive PL experience in midfield?
  • Options
    Where is this Glenn Whelan rumour coming from and is there any credibility to it ? 
  • Options
    edited July 2019

putting wages to one side you don't think we need an older head with extensive PL experience in midfield?

Can't Bowyer just put his boots on again. 
  • Options
    No one has picked up Frazier Campbell yet and he is out of contract. Probably out of our reach wages wise, but boy would that make a big difference.
  • Options
    The trick to a successful loan is getting someone in who make you forget that they are loanees by fitting in and taking real ownership. Bielik and Cullen weren’t just good players, they really got the club and the mission. Da Silva was the same.  Others like Kaikai my have been bigger ‘names’ but they never really gave a toss. It’s not just “who” we get, it’s how they get the gig.  That’s LB’s biggest challenge. 
    This, they were in it for the team, not for Cullen and Bielik.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Redrobo said:
    No one has picked up Frazier Campbell yet and he is out of contract. Probably out of our reach wages wise, but boy would that make a big difference.
    Turned down Millwall. Suspect he favours staying up North. 
  • Options
    Whelan last not on any wage at the moment. It’s how low he will go most of the time the players won’t accept lower wages but sometimes they do ie Jonny Williams 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Turned down Millwall. Suspect he favours staying up North. 

Not necessarily, who would want to play for that lot....

out of our budget no doubt, would love him to come

• Options
    There are undoubtedly many things wrong with the structure of youth football and the stockpiling of so many players by certain clubs.

But Charlton have used other clubs to develop our players via the loan system. Philips at Cheltenham is a prime example, Grant at Crawley is another that benefitted us, and the player, greatly.

On the other hand the many loan keepers and strikers limited both players opportunities.

Bowyer has said he told Morgan at the start of pre-season that he'd be going out so this is not a reaction to Gallagher being available but a necessary part of Albie's growth. And whichever club he goes to he'll displace on of their own players.
    When you have a prospect like Morgan, it doesn't do to harm his confidence. Give him the space to improve and reap the benefits. Everybody wins that way!
  • Options
    Remember Scott Parker being sent out on loan, did him no harm 
  • Options
    Conor Gallagher not in the Chelsea squad at all playing Barcelona this morning, he had previously been in the squad for both of the other Chelsea fixtures. 
  • Options
    On the Morgan vs Gallagher debate...

Could it actually be a case that, Lee knows whoever is with us out of those two - they won't feature as heavily in first team football. So sending Albie out means he gets to play more first team football, has more growth etc, and therefore we're not wasting one of our youth on the bench...whereas if Gallagher doesn't start as often, hey it's not our player who's missing out...
  • Options
    I trust that whatever Bowyer and Gallen do will be the best decision possible
  • Options
    RedRyan said:
    On the Morgan vs Gallagher debate...

Could it actually be a case that, Lee knows whoever is with us out of those two - they won't feature as heavily in first team football. So sending Albie out means he gets to play more first team football, has more growth etc, and therefore we're not wasting one of our youth on the bench...whereas if Gallagher doesn't start as often, hey it's not our player who's missing out...
    I'd be surprised if Chelsea wouldn't have imposed some playing time clauses in the contract. Suspect we will be pitching top clubs based on game time because frankly we won't be offering to cover much wage wise.
  • Options
    Why does everyone seem to think there's no chance of getting Bielik back? 

I know it might have been heat of the moment stuff, but having just caught up with his post match interview at Wembley, if they send him out again and he has any say in the matter, I reckon he'd be back here in a heartbeat. 

Would probably say the same about Cullen, but all depends there how they think he performed while in Asia. 

My worry is that those two were integral to our late surge to promotion, and if we are a division higher but have not replaced them like for like, we are weaker overall, while the opposition is stronger. 

All of which is down to Duchatelet, of course. I agree that the business we have done seems to be excellent, could hardly be better with the budget involved.
    Even if we were to get them both back (keeping everything crossed) it's also a step up for both of them from what they played last season. I have no doubts they could make that step up but they wouldn't necessarily be head and shoulders above the opposition as they often were last year.

I'm excited about the new signings so far but more so by how Bow and his team have shown how they can improve players. 

If we use the loan market well again then we have a very good chance of staying up, possibly even more. As you say just a shame our owner is Roland otherwise we could really get to see just how good Bow could be with a bit of money at his disposal.
  • Options
    Fancy the Chelsea kid to be announced sharpish as I guess there was no intention of him being in the 25, whereas a Cullen type would be last day.