Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Have you ever been misinformed about a Charlton Result ...

Many years ago in foreign climes I overheard a guy giving out the final scores - I asked about Charlton who were playing Ipswich away and he said 1-1 - we get home and I pick up the Mercury to find we won 5-1.  Last Wednesday in a Curacao bar the missus manages to get wifi and proclaims 2-1 Burton Albion.  Arriving back today i find out via CL the correct score ...

Comments

• Green writing eh!?
  • A few weeks back at Doncaster away I didn't realize until about 5.30pm that we'd actually drawn the game 1-1 when I thought we had lost 1-2 with the last minute disallowed goal.

I was listening on Charlton Live, heard them score, heard silence briefly and then switched it off, turned the TV on to another channel and only then when I clicked into the post match thread on here at about 5.30pm I think AFKA it was mentioned it being a draw.

So I thought WTF did we draw 2-2 and how when that disallowed goal was so late on. I didn't realize until I checked on the website and it said we'd drawn 1-1 and it had been disallowed.

I'm actually surprised I didn't make it in to work Monday morning thinking we'd lost 1-2 as often when we lose i'll switch off from football completely for the rest of the weekend especially when I thought we'd lost so late on to a play offs rival.
  • I was away in France when we beat Chelsea 4-2 on Boxing Day. Rang my mum to find out the score, she said we'd won 4-2 and I didn't believe her, thought she'd made a mistake. Was only when I spoke to my dad the next day...
  • On Saturday FlashScores said Charlton were the 1-0 up and didn’t correct for a good couple of minutes, gutted when it corrected!
  • edited March 2019
    Few years back Sky sports news had us 1-0 down in the scores on the right (think against Plymouth) so was gutted, only for them to go to the reporter and say we were winning (BWP with the goal I believe). Was one of Powell's early games and the goal was late on so that was nice. 
  • The season we got promotion back to the championship with Powell, we played Brum at home in Feb 2013.  I was up in Nottingham for a mate’s 30th.  He’s a dons fan and we’d all gone to their game at Chesterfield and then onto a night out in Nottingham.  Basically, I check the bbc website and they’d listed it as 1-0 ft after a late Kermorgant goal (I think).  I’m celebrating and really happy with the result.  Check it again at about 5.15 as we’re on the train and it says 1-1 ft.  The pissing bbc website had called ft too prematurely.  It really riled me
  • Not a wrong result, but got told we beat Man City 4-0 at home in our first season in the Premiership when we were on holiday. Didn't believe it until we picked up the day late English paper in the hotel shop
  • cabbles said:
    The season we got promotion back to the championship with Powell, we played Brum at home in Feb 2013.  I was up in Nottingham for a mate’s 30th.  He’s a dons fan and we’d all gone to their game at Chesterfield and then onto a night out in Nottingham.  Basically, I check the bbc website and they’d listed it as 1-0 ft after a late Kermorgant goal (I think).  I’m celebrating and really happy with the result.  Check it again at about 5.15 as we’re on the train and it says 1-1 ft.  The pissing bbc website had called ft too prematurely.  It really riled me
    Yep I remember getting done by that one when I was living in Sweden. Gutted. 
  • Back in about 2003 I picked up a French newspaper whilst in Paris to find out our result and read Charlton 1 Leeds 6. Must be a typo I thought, we'd have won 1-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• drewman said:
    Back in about 2003 I picked up a French newspaper whilst in Paris to find out our result and read Charlton 1 Leeds 6. Must be a typo I thought, we'd have won 1-0.
    Leeds were bottom as well. 
  • Flash Scores misinforms me of results on a weekly basis, they update the scores so quickly that every time the ball hits the side netting or a goal is ruled out for offside they have already given it. I thought Charlton were 1-0 up at HT vs Bristol Rovers and we had lost to Donny in the last couple of weeks
  • I can trump all of that. On the last day of the 91-92 season I was working in Germany. My girlfriend told me we had won the last game of the season, which depending on the Blackburn result would have put us in the playoffs.
    It was much later that day I discovered the real result.

We are not still together.
  • Night game at Wolves, Charlton leading 3-1 with minutes to go. Teletext then shows 4-1 goal from Pringle, game over.

Then it gets corrected 3-2 Pringle own goal. We held on and won though.
  • Southbank said:
    I can trump all of that. On the last day of the 91-92 season I was working in Germany. My girlfriend told me we had won the last game of the season, which depending on the Blackburn result would have put us in the playoffs.
    It was much later that day I discovered the real result.

We are not still together.
    But once Roland goes, you’ll will be reunited.
  • I landed at Hong Kong airport and took the train into town. The train has a rolling news service which includes Premier League scores. I discovered that Charlton had lost to Everton. It was a day later that, in fact, I discovered that the score was reversed and we had won.
  • MrOneLung said:
    drewman said:
    Back in about 2003 I picked up a French newspaper whilst in Paris to find out our result and read Charlton 1 Leeds 6. Must be a typo I thought, we'd have won 1-0.

WTF???

I always presumed they were around the European spots as don't remember the table from back then!!

Was in a state of shock going into College the next day because of the scoreline

• I landed at Hong Kong airport and took the train into town. The train has a rolling news service which includes Premier League scores. I discovered that Charlton had lost to Everton. It was a day later that, in fact, I discovered that the score was reversed and we had won.
    This reversing of the score ... I believe this was because of the early trials of VAR
  • Only time I've left a match early. Was 1-5 at the time. Not an enjoyable drive back to Bristol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not quite the same but was in Barcelona and popped into a bar where I thought the TV said we had beaten Arsenal 4-2. I dismissed it, thinking they'd got it wrong, and had a few more before getting the good news confirmed next morning.
  • 22 February 1997 Darren Eadie has just put Norwich 4-2 and there was absolutely no way Charlton we’re going to get back into the game. Didn’t realise that we’d got a point until I went into work on Monday morning. No home internet for me in those days. 
  • Not Charlton but I turned off England Portugal 2004 after Portugal took the lead in extra time thinking there was still golden goal. Woke up to find out we lost on pens
  • Not misinformed, but many years ago we played Plymouth away. I was so pissed that when Darren Pitcher (RIP) scored an OG to make the score 2-0, I thought he had equalised. We were staying down for the weekend and when I phoned home, I was told you went all that way and you lost 2-0. Sod off I said, it was 1-1, I should know as I was there.
    I did similar for an evening game against Cardiff I think at the Valley in the early 80s. Was really despondent when I got home that we'd managed to lose 2-1.  Found out the following day that we'd actually drawn 1-1. To this day I've no idea how I managed that. 
  • follett said:
    Not Charlton but I turned off England Portugal 2004 after Portugal took the lead in extra time thinking there was still golden goal. Woke up to find out we lost on pens
    Probably dodged a bullet there!
  • Not Charlton but my brother once played a cracker on me the evil sod. 

I had an accumulator going and got 6 out of 8. We went to the pub on the Sunday, a Bank Holiday weekend and was watching the footie. The 7th result came in courtesy of a relatively late goal so I was jubilant as the 8th team (Juventus) were 1 up fairly late on. He informed me of a 2nd goal, also for Juventus so money was in the bag! He confirmed it finished 2-0 and I had won about £1200. We started celebrating in this pub and the one next door. It was a City Centre so I went to Paddy Power after spending about £200 to collect my 'winnings'. After a 10 minute row with them refusing to pay out I was told Juventus had conceded fairly late and drew 1-1. I had been paying for my brother and our 2 mates drinks for the last few hours. Wasn't particularly happy!
  • drewman said:

God, I remember that game, was halfway down Sundorne when they scored the sixth goal.
  • Not such much of a result, but when plonked on the East in seventies there may have been a stretching of the truth ,regarding how good we actually are.
  • MrOneLung said:
    drewman said:

WTF???

I always presumed they were around the European spots as don't remember the table from back then!!

Was in a state of shock going into College the next day because of the scoreline

Just checked - they were 16th

BBC match report

Leeds finally shrugged off the malaise that has dogged their season with a blistering display against Charlton that saw Mark Viduka score a hat-trick and Peter Reid underline his case for the manager's job on a permanent basis.

It was Leeds' first Premiership away win since Boxing Day and significantly eased the relegation worries that were threatening to turn their sour season into outright disaster.

Eirik Bakke Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell celebrate another Leeds goal
    Leeds celebrate yet another goal

Leeds dominated from the opening whistle, Harry Kewell opened the scoring after 12 minutes and the visitors led 3-1 by the break.

Ian Harte and Viduka added to Kewell's goal before the break, while Jason Euell scored for Charlton.

Viduka twice added to his tally after the break, the third a penalty, while Kewell scored a fine individual goal to round off a wonderful afternoon for Leeds.

Reid, who dropped several players from the squad and deployed Dominic Matteo in midfield, can take huge credit for the victory.

The start of the match was delayed by 17 minutes due to crowd congestion.

And Leeds started the match as though they had some catching up to do, soon breaching Charlton's defence.

Kewell picked the ball up on the left and cut inside before passing to Viduka.

The Australian striker picked out Alan Smith, who crossed to the far post, allowing Kewell to finish the move he started.

Leeds almost doubled their advantage after Niclas Jensen inadvertently turned a Kewell corner towards his own goal, but the danger was cleared off the line.

KEY MOMENTS
    12 mins: Kewell opens the scoring
    33 mins: Harte scores from the penalty spot
    42 mins: Viduka makes it three for Leeds
    44 mins: Euell pulls one back
    54 mins: Viduka scores again
    56 mins: Viduka completes his hat-trick
    76 mins: Kewell completes the demolition

However, Charlton's respite was short lived and Harte made it three from the penalty spot after Richard Rufus fouled Smith his own penalty area.

The home team's aspirations of a win to keep alive their hopes of qualifying for a Uefa Cup place were further dented when Viduka hit Smith's knockdown past Kiely.

But the Addicks gave themselves a lifeline when Euell scored the second penalty of the match following Lucas Radebe's foul on Scott Parker.

And, but for a brilliant save from Paul Robinson, Charlton would have reduced the deficit to just one goal early in the second half.

Parker played a neat one-two with Euell and struck the return pass first time, but he was thwarted by the Leeds keeper.

Smith eluded two Charlton defenders before squaring the ball to Viduka, who smashed the ball into the bottom corner for his second of the game.Shortly afterwards Leeds restored their three-goal cushion.

Viduka then scored from the penalty spot after Smith was again fouled in the penalty area.

And to cap United's finest afternoon of the season, Kewell scored a superb individual goal after picking the ball up on the half-way line.

Charlton: Kiely, Young, Rufus, Fish, Konchesky (El Khalej 67), Kishishev (Svensson 45), Parker, Euell, Jensen, Johansson, Lisbie (Powell 45).
    Subs not used: Rachubka, Robinson. Booked: Kiely, Svensson.
    Goals: Euell 45 pen.

Leeds: Robinson, Mills, Radebe, Duberry, Harte, Kelly, Matteo, Bakke (Milner 86), Kewell (Wilcox 80), Smith (Simon Johnson 78), Viduka.
    Subs not used: Martyn, Barmby. Booked: Matteo.
    Goals: Kewell 12, Harte 34 pen, Viduka 42, 53, 56 pen, Kewell 76.
    Att: 26,274

Referee: E Wolstenholme (Lancashire)

• Only time I've left a match early. Was 1-5 at the time. Not an enjoyable drive back to Bristol.
    Imagine if you'd got home and found that we'd gone on to win 7-6....