Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Seasons Derailed by Player Sales

edited March 2019 in General Charlton
So when I saw our 🐕💩 performance today... I kept thinking how many times have Charlton owners let us down by losing a player in January when realistically we could have gone onto glory or at least have been competitive had we either held onto them or at least found suitable replacements.

So over to you... In your opinion whose sale and why..

List the player, the owner and the reason it derailed our season: 

Comments

• Options
    Andy Reid, 07/08

Plummented from 2nd when he went to Sunderland
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So when I saw our 🐕💩 performance today... I kept thinking how many times have Charlton owners let us down by losing a player in January when realistically we could have gone onto glory or at least have been competitive had we either held onto them or at least found suitable replacements.

0-0 draw and our season has been derailed, where was this when we won 3 of our previous 4.

We are still more than likely in playoffs

If Grant stayed would we have got automatics, maybe maybe not we will never know, but in no way has our season been derailed
  • Options
    Scott Parker Jan 2004.

Completely fucked us over and in my opinion stopped us from moving to that 'next level'. I'm convinced we'd have finished that season in the top 6 and got into Europe.
    Would have been in the England squad, stopped the hun from scoring that goal, we would have gone on to the European Cup. 

Selfish talented bastard!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

0-0 draw and our season has been derailed, where was this when we won 3 of our previous 4.

If Grant stayed would we have got automatics, maybe maybe not we will never know, but in no way has our season been derailed
    This owner has removed any chance of any success every season he's been here. Watching so many games this season has shown me how inept we are since Karlan has gone. Selling him will be the reason we are not still in 3rd vying for autos right now...

This game was just spectacular in terms of how average we looked.

My list since Roland came is as follows:

Grant January 19
    Holmes January 18
    Lookman January 17
    Morrison January 15
    Stephens January 14
    Kermorgant January 14

Before then I can only really remember Parker as a mid season sale that really hurt us.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

This owner has removed any chance of any success every season he's been here. Watching so many games this season has shown me how inept we are since Karlan has gone. Selling him will be the reason we are not still in 3rd vying for autos right now...

Grant January 19
    Holmes January 18
    Lookman January 17
    Morrison January 15
    Stephens January 14
    Kermorgant January 14

Before then I can only really remember Parker as a mid season sale that really hurt us.
    We will never know how we would have done with Grant here until the summer, but we weren't looking like automatic promotion hopes when Grant left either, let's not forget here. We can blame Roland for many things, and even selling Grant, but let's not pretend we were looking like title winners. 

Same as Lookman, did he really remove a chance of success? We weren't going to get promoted even if he stayed. 

I do however agree we would obviously stand a much better chance in the play offs if we had Grant. 

And of course I am not defending him, I just think the January thing is exaggerated. We have lost key players in most windows, not just January ones. 

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Grant January 19
    Holmes January 18
    Lookman January 17
    Morrison January 15
    Stephens January 14
    Kermorgant January 14

We will never know how we would have done with Grant here until the summer, but we weren't looking like automatic promotion hopes when Grant left either, let's not forget here. We can blame Roland for many things, and even selling Grant, but let's not pretend we were looking like title winners. 

Same as Lookman, did he really remove a chance of success? We weren't going to get promoted even if he stayed. 

I do however agree we would obviously stand a much better chance in the play offs if we had Grant. 

And of course I am not defending him, I just think the January thing is exaggerated. We have lost key players in most windows, not just January ones. 

And our form since Karlan left really hasn’t been that bad. We had a four or five game wobble, only one of which we actually lost, but people do love to over react these days.

Same goes for selling Kermorgant and Stephens. Bad decisions in terms of being able to field the very best team possible, but derailed the season? Not really, we were having a crap year even with them, cup run aside.

Only ones that truly led to a collapse in form were Parker and Reid. Both all the more frustrating because at the time we were far less in need of the money than we have been in recent seasons. 
  • Options
    Only just saw this thread but already posted on the post match thread, probably more suited here as it shows it may not have derailed our season exactly, but hurt us hugely no doubt...

“Since the very strong rumours of Grant leaving and him actually leaving, we have failed to score in 4 of our last 9 games. Scoring only 8 goals in that time.

Prior to those rumours and Grant leaving, we failed to score in only 3 of the previous 29 games, two of which coming in August. That means we had failed to score only once in our previous 24 games, away at Rochdale where Taylor missed a penalty.

I said at the time how much we would miss Grant, how many points he won for us, how his goals directly won us an additional 18 points. And I got laughed at and took the criticism. People thought we wouldn’t miss him that much or whatever else.

I am certain that if Grant were still here we would have an extra 4 points at least, as he would have scored probably a further 3 or 4 goals let’s say. That’s the difference between settling for a play-off position and fighting it out for automatics.

I know that it’s gone and this is the post match thread, of which I believe we played okay all things considered, but it is true we are not scoring anywhere near enough goals. There is a big reason for that and he scored twice for Huddersfield in the Premier League yesterday.

With Grant at the club we averaged 1.62 goals per game. Since the partnership of Grant and Taylor was broken and the strong possibility of Grant leaving happened, we have averaged 0.88 goals per game. The same goes for our points per game ratio, 1.83 per game with Grant, 1.55 without. Huge difference.”
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Andy Reid, 07/08

Plummented from 2nd when he went to Sunderland
    It did make a huge difference to lose him but pardew lost the plot as well. We had no goal scorers and the tactic became lump it up to iwelumo
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott Parker Jan 2004.

Completely fucked us over and in my opinion stopped us from moving to that 'next level'. I'm convinced we'd have finished that season in the top 6 and got into Europe.
    Me too, only pretty sure it would have been top 4. We did finish 7th after all.

We had a double whammy when we lost Reid who did elevate us at Championship level. The problem was that we also bought Gray and had to play him because we spent so much on him and he wasn't right. Iwelumo was a better bet for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott Parker Jan 2004.

That's the only other example I can really think of.
  • Options
    Every season under Michael Gliksten.
    The man who had zero ambition and saw crowds of 5k in the early 70's because we were shite.
    68/69 season was a freak season under his useless tenure.