Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views - Charlton v Burton

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I like Purrington. Aside from the fact it means we don't have to play a RB or CB at left back, he's a solid player who shores up our left side. When you play a diamond you need to have full backs who won't regularly get caught out of position on transitions and he is rarely so far up the pitch we can be got at down our left. He's not the kind of LB to bomb forward but he does support attacks as required and provides an outlet for attackers to lay off the ball and receive it back. He's quite decent at beating his man from a standing start, which opens up options for crossing. He is however not brilliant at crossing. He's rubbish in the air however and if an opposition player gets even half a yard run-up on him they'll win the header. He's got a LB's brain. Dijksteel is learning but I do find he plays like an athletic midfielder filling in at full back. When the pressure ramped up against Pompey it was Dijksteel who started to sweat more than Purrington and I was more nervous of attacks coming that way than the other side. All in all, he's a League One level left back who had had a huge impact just by restoring balance to our line-up, for that alone we should be grateful. If we go up this season then I doubt we'll be looking to bring him in again, otherwise we could do a lot worse than have him permanently. Even if we don't get him again, given what's available in January on loan we've done well to end up with him. I get why his player marks are low as he's unspectacular, but if you took him out of the team now we'd feel it.
    He's fine defensively and he seems to get low marks because he's not an attacking player. Fans rave over attacking full backs even though a lot of them are s*** at defending.
    Let's not over egg the pudding he's generally ok defensively but has had his moments and at fault recently for the Donny away equaliser and the Pompey equaliser having been roasted early on in the latter match. 
  • Options
    I like Purrington. Aside from the fact it means we don't have to play a RB or CB at left back, he's a solid player who shores up our left side. When you play a diamond you need to have full backs who won't regularly get caught out of position on transitions and he is rarely so far up the pitch we can be got at down our left. He's not the kind of LB to bomb forward but he does support attacks as required and provides an outlet for attackers to lay off the ball and receive it back. He's quite decent at beating his man from a standing start, which opens up options for crossing. He is however not brilliant at crossing. He's rubbish in the air however and if an opposition player gets even half a yard run-up on him they'll win the header. He's got a LB's brain. Dijksteel is learning but I do find he plays like an athletic midfielder filling in at full back. When the pressure ramped up against Pompey it was Dijksteel who started to sweat more than Purrington and I was more nervous of attacks coming that way than the other side. All in all, he's a League One level left back who has had a huge impact just by restoring balance to our line-up, for that alone we should be grateful. If we go up this season then I doubt we'll be looking to bring him in again, otherwise we could do a lot worse than have him permanently. Even if we don't get him again, given what's available in January on loan we've done well to end up with him. I get why his player marks are low as he's unspectacular, but if you took him out of the team now we'd feel it.

Dyksteel is a defensive midfielder filling in at right back, which is why I thought he could have played yesterday in that position. Fosu on the bench and Reeves in the hole.
  • Options
    Moo said:
    RedChaser said:
    Purrington's average mark from the Statbank for his 9 matches with us prior to last night is very steady Eadie ish at 6.43.
    Still only 22. He can improve. I would like to see us sign him. 
    Fine in L1 but I can't see him pushing on. 
  • Options
    Before I get off my soapbox can I just say that the 2nd half was pants because we were kicking towards the empty Jimmy Seed stand.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I like Purrington. Aside from the fact it means we don't have to play a RB or CB at left back, he's a solid player who shores up our left side. When you play a diamond you need to have full backs who won't regularly get caught out of position on transitions and he is rarely so far up the pitch we can be got at down our left. He's not the kind of LB to bomb forward but he does support attacks as required and provides an outlet for attackers to lay off the ball and receive it back. He's quite decent at beating his man from a standing start, which opens up options for crossing. He is however not brilliant at crossing. He's rubbish in the air however and if an opposition player gets even half a yard run-up on him they'll win the header. He's got a LB's brain. Dijksteel is learning but I do find he plays like an athletic midfielder filling in at full back. When the pressure ramped up against Pompey it was Dijksteel who started to sweat more than Purrington and I was more nervous of attacks coming that way than the other side. All in all, he's a League One level left back who had had a huge impact just by restoring balance to our line-up, for that alone we should be grateful. If we go up this season then I doubt we'll be looking to bring him in again, otherwise we could do a lot worse than have him permanently. Even if we don't get him again, given what's available in January on loan we've done well to end up with him. I get why his player marks are low as he's unspectacular, but if you took him out of the team now we'd feel it.
    He's fine defensively and he seems to get low marks because he's not an attacking player. Fans rave over attacking full backs even though a lot of them are s*** at defending.
    Let's not over egg the pudding he's generally ok defensively but has had his moments and at fault recently for the Donny away equaliser and the Pompey equaliser having been roasted early on in the latter match. 
    He gets a lot of unwarranted criticism because he's often given no cover by our midfielders who neglect their defensive duties - this has happened in a lot of games. Some of our fans just want to pick holes in him because he's not an attacking full back.

Bauer carelessly gave away a penalty last night yet seems largely to have escaped criticism.

Purrington is fine at this level and can only get better - we seem pretty solid defensively of late.
  • Options
    Can only assume that Burton won the toss and decided to screw us up by having us play the wrong way. Didn’t matter for them as their crowd looked like less than 100.
  • Options
    Can only assume that Burton won the toss and decided to screw us up by having us play the wrong way. Didn’t matter for them as their crowd looked like less than 100.
    Said to my son in law looks like they came in a mini, did we sing it to them? 😀
  • Options
    Good call from the Referee...

Looks similar to the one we got given against Accrington

To be honest - it looks to me like the first offence ( ie the push) was committed outside the area.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    We certainly got away with one tonight, although this was always going to be difficult game against a decent footballing side who were unbeaten in their last seven away league games. That was particularly so with Bielik and Williams out and a couple of other players carrying strains (Aribo and Sarr were mentioned in that respect by Bowyer on the weekend). Saturday's game clearly took a bit out of the team and a three quarters empty and freezing Valley probably didn't help either.

I thought that we made a very good start, got our noses in front thanks to Taylor's trickery in the box, but then conceded a penalty when Burton opened us up rather too easily down Chris Solly's side. A great cross by Taylor and Reeves' diving header (his 4th goal of the season) edged us ahead, although I thought at half time that there would probably be further goals.

in the event, Burton dominated the second half but, for all their possession, they lacked a cutting edge in the final third and Dillon was not unduly troubled. 

In terms of our players, I thought that Bauer was excellent again at the back, repeatedly winning headers and stepping out to win the ball as a result of his superior reading of the game. Naby was a little off his game tonight and the full backs were very average.

Cullen turned in a man of the match performance and effectively held the team together. With two of Saturday's quartet out injured and Joe Aribo not fully fit, that was just as well. Apart from his goal, Reeves didn't contribute much, whist Fosu turned in a typically frustrating performance, although he's much better out wide than at the tip of the diamond, where he seems to lack the necessary craft and intelligence required in that position.

Up front, Lyle Taylor baled us out and he was, ultimately, probably the difference between the two teams. Josh Parker tried hard and won some useful free kicks, although his touch is heavy and he carries very little goal threat. Igor got on for a late cameo but looked a little flat-footed and off the pace and we have to pray that Taylor stays fit until the end of May.

An undeserved win perhaps but a great result in all the circumstances. Tonight's results probably leave us only needing a point a game from the last nine to guarantee a top 6 finish, although overhauling Pompey - a distinct possibility - would give us a second leg semi-final at home.

Excellent summary. 
    They always are
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phillips doesn't come for most crosses. He was doing practice for about 5 minutes before the game. His kick outs to Bauer and Sarr yesterday were dreadful. (Pitch didn't help.)
  • Options
    Always appreciate the post match threads more when I’ve not gone to the game, so thanks to all the summaries so far.

Reading these past 5 pages though, I’d have thought we lost if didn’t already know the score. Is it because peoples expectations are rising dramatically at this stage of season and they think 2-1 win against Burton is not good enough. 

Purrington and Phillips seem to take on the majority of the negative comments this season (well since they’ve been in the starting 11 anyway).

I know it’s been mentioned by others before, but it’s important to see performances in where they are, not where you want them to be. No point being frustrated with Phillips because he’s not the complete package with every ability, because if he had all of those, then no one here would be watching him this season. 

We've had so many good/great keepers over the years (going back to mid 90s when I started attending) who couldn’t kick straight or struggled to find a teammate from a goal kick. There’s a reason the price of a keeper has shot up in recent years and personally feel that Phillips is more than acceptable for a league one promotion chasing team. 
    The problem is that you weren't there & the vast majority of the posters were.....we can't all be wrong. It wasn't about expectations of winning, but the fact the team were a shadow of the one that played just 3 days previously. Being without Beliek didn't help, or that we now know Aribo wasn't well.....but by god I expect that in 45 second half mins of football we actually put together a meaningful attack. That 2nd half reminded me if the bad old days of fighting relegation with no hope of getting anywhere near scoring a goal. 

Phillips kicking, especially from back passes were dreadful......most didn't even stay on the pitch. The defenders would be better off just booting the ball into the stands because usually that's where the ball would eventually end up.

No problem with him as a goalkeeper, ie saving & catching the ball, but unless they teach him how to clear his lines it's probably not worth passing the ball back to him. 
  • Options
    As for Purrington......the sooner Page is back the better. Purrington is ok defensively (was at fault for the Pompey goal) but going forward he is no better than having Solly play there. He hardly ever takes on a defender & although presumably left footed he doesn't ever cross with his left foot, deciding to cut inside & then lay the ball off. When Pearce is fit I'd play Sarr there....either part of a back four or back 5. 
  • Options
    "Told you I'd get through these three games without getting booked..." #cafc

• Options
    Always appreciate the post match threads more when I’ve not gone to the game, so thanks to all the summaries so far.

Reading these past 5 pages though, I’d have thought we lost if didn’t already know the score. Is it because peoples expectations are rising dramatically at this stage of season and they think 2-1 win against Burton is not good enough. 

Purrington and Phillips seem to take on the majority of the negative comments this season (well since they’ve been in the starting 11 anyway).

I know it’s been mentioned by others before, but it’s important to see performances in where they are, not where you want them to be. No point being frustrated with Phillips because he’s not the complete package with every ability, because if he had all of those, then no one here would be watching him this season. 

We've had so many good/great keepers over the years (going back to mid 90s when I started attending) who couldn’t kick straight or struggled to find a teammate from a goal kick. There’s a reason the price of a keeper has shot up in recent years and personally feel that Phillips is more than acceptable for a league one promotion chasing team. 
    The problem is that you weren't there & the vast majority of the posters were.....we can't all be wrong. It wasn't about expectations of winning, but the fact the team were a shadow of the one that played just 3 days previously. Being without Beliek didn't help, or that we now know Aribo wasn't well.....but by god I expect that in 45 second half mins of football we actually put together a meaningful attack. That 2nd half reminded me if the bad old days of fighting relegation with no hope of getting anywhere near scoring a goal. 

Phillips kicking, especially from back passes were dreadful......most didn't even stay on the pitch. The defenders would be better off just booting the ball into the stands because usually that's where the ball would eventually end up.

No problem with him as a goalkeeper, ie saving & catching the ball, but unless they teach him how to clear his lines it's probably not worth passing the ball back to him. 
    Very few keepers are particularly good with the ball at their feet - this doesn't just apply to Dillon. A poor back pass will invariably put the keeper under pressure and composure will go out of the window.

Hamer had good distribution but I didn't particularly rate the rest of his game.

How much difference does it really make if the keeper has good distribution - it doesn't seem to be a game changer whereas a keeper who can't keep the ball out of the net is. 
  • Options

Boys dug in deep to get the win tonight. Not the best performance, but most importantly we got the 3 points! Thanks for your continued support! #CAFC #COYR

• Options

Another win for the team!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

We got 3 points - I don't care how we get them at this stage of the season as long as we get them.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

So it proves me right & Taylor and Bowyer wrong.
    Taylor doesn't have to foul continuously, play act & whinge all game to be effective.
    He played well last night, although there was still too much arm waving & looking to the heavens.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

We got 3 points - I don't care how we get them at this stage of the season as long as we get them.
    How do we get them I don't know. 
    How do we get them I don't care.
    Alli I know is charltons on our way.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Did what was needed but made hard work of the 2nd half 

one thing I will say, disgusted at Fosu’s work rate tonight.  One of the laziest performances in a Charlton shirt I’ve seen in a long time.  Didn’t care and based on that, I’m pleased to see the back of him if he goes 

Must be the most frustrating thing for a Manager when he knows the boy has game-changing talent but the player leaves it on the training ground.

You’d think he’d be taking his chance when getting selected to start but dream on.

Bielik and Williams were huge misses last night, especially Bielik.
    Good header from Reeves finishing a great cross but Reeves was chasing shadows when Burton in possession and he is never going to be a play breaker.

The midfield on Saturday against Portsmouth could play in a Championship side, no problem. That is the midfield that will take us to the promised land, injuries aside.

• Options
    purdis said:
    cabbles said:
    Did what was needed but made hard work of the 2nd half 

one thing I will say, disgusted at Fosu’s work rate tonight.  One of the laziest performances in a Charlton shirt I’ve seen in a long time.  Didn’t care and based on that, I’m pleased to see the back of him if he goes 

Must be the most frustrating thing for a Manager when he knows the boy has game-changing talent but the player leaves it on the training ground.

You’d think he’d be taking his chance when getting selected to start but dream on.

Bielik and Williams were huge misses last night, especially Bielik.
    Good header from Reeves finishing a great cross but Reeves was chasing shadows when Burton in possession and he is never going to be a play breaker.

The midfield on Saturday against Portsmouth could play in a Championship side, no problem. That is the midfield that will take us to the promised land, injuries aside.

midfield last night was poor apart from Cullen - I'm assuming Aribo was ill. Lapslie failed to impress.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Fosu was the hole in our side today, not Parker 
    Aribo was, but that was tiredness I think. 

Fosu started well and tired late on. 

Parker did about as much as Vetokele has done lately, maybe runs a bit more than Vetokele, but I believe Igor would still have been the better player to start alongside Taylor. 

If Vetokele is going to continue to be our striker alongside Taylor, they need to remain a strike partnership.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Agree with your sentiments but I was there and second half we really did look like a relegation side - for whatever reason (tiredness for those who started on Saturday or big win come down after Saturday?).

Not only did we not get a shot away all half but we actually could not even pass the ball as Burton pressed us hard and we simply weren’t up for it.

Hopefully this one bad performance will be the last this season - seriously, the second half we were like a Sunday morning pub team after a big Saturday night and Sunday morning out - it was sh*te.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Regarding Aribo's below par performance;

Aribo had been nursing a tight groin after the victory over Portsmouth on Saturday but Bowyer says that wasn’t why he made an early exit this against the Brewers.

“Joe is ill,” he explained,

“Yesterday he came into work, didn’t feel good and he said he got worse through the night. He keeps coughing, he’s chesty. He looked like he wasn’t his normal self, that’s why we brought him off. He wasn’t his normal self, that was obvious to see.”

• Options
    ross1 said:

So it proves me right & Taylor and Bowyer wrong.
    Taylor doesn't have to foul continuously, play act & whinge all game to be effective.
    He played well last night, although there was still too much arm waving & looking to the heavens.
    He's definitely got more 'Hollywood' as the season has gone on