Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

4K UHD Movies

Finally got the ability to watch a 4K movie, has anyone seen any good ones / got a go to place to buy them , Amazon seem quite dear, or is that just the going rate.

Can you rent '4k' movies?

Do existing blu ray movies get 'upscaled' to 4K or do you have to buy movies that specifically say 4K ( or is it a marketing ploy?

Thanks for your help, i'm outta kilter with technology, still got an iphone 5!

Comments

• Seen a few bits and bobs on Sky in UHD - some movies and some football.  Can't really notice a huge difference

I'm waiting for VR football.....sit on your sofa and watch a match through a VR headset.  Look around the stands.  See essential stats above the players.  Zoom in.  Rewind.  Slow Mo. 

It's going to be awesome
  • edited March 2019
    I have a 4K TV.  I watch the Champions League games and a few other sports in 4K UHD on BT.   There are more and more titles appearing in 4K UHD and I recently bought The Matrix only to find out that my 'standard' Blu-Ray player wouldn't read it - you need a 4K UHD Player.  Fortunately the pack included a normal Blu-Ray version.  Standard Blu-Ray are supposedly upscaled but hard to notice.

• Swisdom said:
    Seen a few bits and bobs on Sky in UHD - some movies and some football.  Can't really notice a huge difference

I'm waiting for VR football.....sit on your sofa and watch a match through a VR headset.  Look around the stands.  See essential stats above the players.  Zoom in.  Rewind.  Slow Mo. 

It's going to be awesome
    Did you do this for the World Cup? It was sodding brilliant, despite being in its infancy.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Swisdom said:
    Seen a few bits and bobs on Sky in UHD - some movies and some football.  Can't really notice a huge difference

It's going to be awesome
    Did you do this for the World Cup? It was sodding brilliant, despite being in its infancy.
    I didn't but will do for the Euros if it's sorted by then
  • There is not a great deal of difference between HD & Ultra HD . I switch to it during football on SKY and it’s difficult to see the difference.
  • There is not a great deal of difference between HD & Ultra HD . I switch to it during football on SKY and it’s difficult to see the difference.

It depends on the size of the screen I would suggest.
  • There is a difference and I do notice it on my 65”, but it’s not huge like you would have seen from VHS to DVD. 
    I 4K stream from amazon and Netflix just because it’s there and sort defaults to my tv rather than me intentionally seeking it out. Like most things you get used to it quickly.
  • edited March 2019
    bobmunro said:
    There is not a great deal of difference between HD & Ultra HD . I switch to it during football on SKY and it’s difficult to see the difference.

It depends on the size of the screen I would suggest.
    It's because 4K content on sky, Netflix, etc is massively compressed or up scaled from HD. The resolution is 4k but the bit rate, etc is not.

Edit - A few calculations later...4k at 30fps is 720Mbits per second. Given this is just the raw data, you're likely to need a stable 1.5 - 2Gbps Internet connection to stream 4k in all its glory. That's 5 times quicker than what virgin offer and about 70 times quicker than what Netflix recommend. Gives you a good idea on how much they compress their 4K content.

Edit 2 - I miscalculated, make that about 8Gbps Internet. 

Go watch a UHD bluray like Planet Earth 2 / blue planet 2 with HDR and then you'll see the difference.