Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth | Sat 09 Mar | 5:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Back from Honkers for this one and very excited. 

Seven members of the grumpy clan will be in the east stand Block F to cheer the boys on to an historic victory and the breaking of the 300 year old Sky curse.

3-1

• Options
    1-1.
  • Options
    0-2; TV curse; can't score for toffees.  But, I would readily accept 5-0 if LB's premonition of giving someone a thrashing soon comes true. 
  • Options
    2-1 Taylor bounces back with a brace, hopefully. 
  • Options
    1-0 tricky win, cement playoff position, autos are gone im afraid 
    Has anybody looked at what remaining fixtures the teams above us have? There must be games against each other in there that will mean somebody has to drop points. We just need to win our games and close the gap again point by point, starting Saturday. 2-0 to the Addicks 
    I have and can’t see us gaining any points on top two let alone catch em.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    We seem to have the an indian over them, unusual for us of course, but then we are pony whenever live on TV. It's a hard one to call...    1-1
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The crux of this one is Igor virus free and keeping their CHs deep, or if Parker plays, he is on their shoulder, not drifting deep into Lyle territory. 2-1
  • Options
    Nothing to fear in Pompey. However, this is Charlton - 1-1. 
  • Options
    The TV curse and the Duchatelet curse plus Pompey want revenge so 1-1.
    I just feel the whole dynamics of the team has changed with Grants departure. 
    If Taylor made Grant look good I'm convinced Grant made Taylor look good.
    They were a great partnership with totally different attributes. Karlan's pace and work rate are sorely missed, plus his goals.
    Parker, Vetokele and Fosu have to step up to the plate for us not to blow a top 6 position.
    4 points from Pompey and Burton.

• Options
    0 - 3 cheers sky cameras
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We always beat Portsmouth. 2-0
  • Options
    2-1 win with Taylor and OG getting the goals.

4 points from the next to home games will be crucial to keep a healthy gap between us and Doncaster/Posh.

Phillips 

Solly Sarr Bauer Purrington 

Belik Cullen Aribo Lapslie

Igor and Taylor.
  • Options
    Go out and try to beat them 3-0 and we will beat them 2-0 :)
  • Options
    Back from Honkers for this one and very excited. 

Seven members of the grumpy clan will be in the east stand Block F to cheer the boys on to an historic victory and the breaking of the 300 year old Sky curse.

3-1

So you're the culprit that's booked all the tickets in our row.....had to buy a ticket 2 rows further forward than normal. !!

Game on Sky.....Pompey starting to fire again (2 successive wins, 7 scored & 1 conceeded)....we are in the doldrums.

1-2. 
  • Options
    I wish it was true that we always beat Portsmouth or do folks not remember the 25th anniversary home game last season. 

Think it will be tight, but looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    4th place is realistically the highest position we can achieve, which would give us a second home leg in a play-off semi-final. This is our best chance to close the gap on Pompey, although they really need a win to get closer to Barnsley, who have now gone 15 games unbeaten. I’d expect them to start cautiously and go for it in the second half, which may leave some space for someone like Fosu to exploit if he comes off the bench.

I can see this playing out as a gritty and hard fought draw, which won’t do much for either team’s promotion aspirations.
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton, got a feeling. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I think the quality in the side is there, we now have to work on the balance so that we can be more incisive in front of goal without negating the things that are working too much. Get that right as we approach the play offs and we will have a good chance.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    2-0 Charlton, got a feeling. 
    you might want to go see a doctor @Croydon

• Options
    Comfortable 0-0 draw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we need to go for it.

Parker Taylor Fosu
    Aribo Bielik Williams
    Purrington Sarr Bauer Solly
    Phillips

Front 3 should cause a threat and give us some much needed width. 

Williams to pull the strings from a deeper role.

Puts a lot of pressure on Bielik and it really needs Aribo and Williams to help him out but at home I reckon it's worth a try.
  • Options
    We normally do well against Pompey but it's live on TV.

Drab 0-0 it has to be.
  • Options
    I wonder if Taylor's dipped form is because he is trying to play without getting a yellow card
  • Options
    I think he hasn't been that bad, but seems to try to do too much sometimes. This can be great if others step up and score the goals through the chaos he generates, but they aren't.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I wonder if Taylor's dipped form is because he is trying to play without getting a yellow card
    Quite possibly .
    Personally I think it's due to losing Grant. 
    They had a very special and successfull partnership .Taylor has not looked the same since Grant left.
  • Options
    Are we sure Bielek and Taylor are both fit? One subbed off in the dying minutes of the Donny game, one rumoured to have left the ground in a protective boot. I haven't heard any of Bowyer's interviews this week so a genuine question.

Assuming they are all fit I think we should start with the same team that played Donny. They played well for large spells and it was the first time we finally got what looks our best 11 on paper out at the same time. No one played so badly as to force Bowyer to drop them so I think there is value in showing some faith and consistency of selection to build understanding in the team, especially up front where we are trying to replicate what was a genuine partnership in Taylor and Grant. Taylor and Grant hit ot off, but it didn't come overnight, Bowyer said several times, earlier in the season, about G&T needing to build and work on an understanding and the way to get that was to play them together constantly in matches and training. He needs to pick who he thinks is his best bet between Igor and Parker and stick with them for a good run of games, I'd go with Igor but he does need to start doing a bit more, that is for sure. Maybe his injuries mean he;s now best utilized from the bench.

One thing for sure, I don't want to see us anywhere near a 4-3-3 as we've looked totally lost every time we have attempted to play that. Pompey carry a significant threat out wide though so we do need to make sure Sols and Purrington are getting protection.

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Quite possibly .
    Personally I think it's due to losing Grant. 
    They had a very special and successfull partnership .Taylor has not looked the same since Grant left.
    Combo of the two imo
  • Options
    masicat said:
    We always beat Portsmouth. 2-0

No, we don't. You must have a short memory mate.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    We are strange to watch as when we have the ball from the back, we often build like a Premier League side. But it seems to be style over substance at the moment.