Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Hollis - RIP

Just heard that the Talk Talk (band) main man has died aged 64. Another of my heroes gone if true.

Comments

• Options
    Really sad news - had just started listening to their stuff this year and he was an amazing songwriter. RIP.
  • Options
    Devastating, Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden are favourite albums of mine. 
  • Options
    Very sad. Fantastic songwriter. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Some stunning songs across all their career.  Only 64 as well. Rest in Peace Mark
  • Options
    Very sad news . Saw them live a number of times . Very distinctive voice . Life’s what you make it is a  great song .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very very sad, they were in the late 80s my absolute favourite band. and live at Hammersmith Odeon is possibly my favourite live concert ever. I was gobsmacked when that very concert appeared on a CD around 2002. If you are a fan, it's a must have, you hear a band -and an audience - that knows it is playing out of its skin. Mark Feltham guests on harmonica on a stonking "Living in another world".

Going to play it right now. RIP, sir.
  • Options
    Life’s what he made it. RIP - I’m gutted.
  • Options
    genius, last 2 talk talk albums personally favourite 
  • Options
    RIP, he produced some amazing music. Far too young too
  • Options
    All you do to me is Talk Talk but sadly no more, loved that song.

RIP Mark
  • Options
    RIP...Good band Talk Talk.
  • Options
    RIP - very underrated band. 
  • Options
    RIP. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    RIP to Benfleet's best.
  • Options
    Posted elsewhere, but sums up the impact this man's creativity had on this one man:

Genius, pure and simple.

So myself and a few friends had a way of introducing each other to quality music.  On random Sundays we would each bring ten tunes that we would play one at a time before the next's turn.  There were three of us that day.

Anyway.  I had just had my turn.  Next up, Dunk reaches for Spirit of Eden.  Talk Talk? Says I, adding something derogatory to the effect 'weren't they some kind of also-rans from the new romantic era?'.  I expected to be distinctly underwhelmed.

So, the first track starts and I am immediately intrigued, then totally absorbed, then utterly blown away.  After that track finished, it was Leyton's turn.  Shall we just leave it on? He suggests.

We did, none of the others wanted their 'turn'.  The album got better and better and I realised that I had missed out on something very, very special.  These days I consider it a contender for the best album ever made (next to Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime, most probably).  There is nothing else like it and it is, quite simply, beautiful, stunning, pure emotion, bliss, sadness......well, actually, words don't do it justice, so I'll stop trying.

Anyway, thanks Dunk!

RIP Mark
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are very few albums that I can listen to, at any time, and they put me in a certain mood.

Spirit of Eden is one of them. RIP
  • Options
    So I did a bit of a search on the net, and was mildly alarmed to discover that Talk Talk played two nights at the Odeon on 7th and 8th May 1986, and suddenly thought, was I really at the one that's on the CD? Well, from the set lists I am honestly not sure now. Both end with Renee, and here it is; which of the two nights, it doesn't say, but it sounds like I remember it, with him quietly saying "thank you very much" at the end and walking off, leaving us all in frantic disbelief that he is ending the concert this way;  and as we now know, the 8th was their last live concert ever. 
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    His solo album is very good too if you can track it down.
  • Options
    Very sad. RIP