Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Oscars

Oscars tonight, are they a well informed portrayal of the current cinematic landscape?

Or a load of old pony, and pats on the back for the rich?

I have no idea who is up for any of them?

Comments

• Both.

It's the Oscars.
  • The Academy will get it wrong again and give it to ROMA . Good film but nowhere near the best. 

• edited February 2019
    I used to really enjoy it. Then realised it’s not much different from Starbucks doing awards for the best makers of coffee and asking me to care. 

Loads of trades have awards, fair enough. But how seriously actors take themselves is cringe-inducing. 
  • edited February 2019
    Green Book wins best picture.

Rami Malek wins leading actor.

Olivia Colman wins leading actress.

Alfonso Cuaron (Roma) wins best director.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Pleased for Coleman. She’s come a long way from starring in the peep show and Hot fuzz.
    Seems like a genuinely lovely lady too.
    And The Office...
  • edited February 2019
    They got best film right for me this year. Loved Green Book. 
  • Riviera said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Pleased for Coleman. She’s come a long way from starring in the peep show and Hot fuzz.
    And The Office...
    She did her yards as well, in the early 2000s she was in loads of adverts before getting any sort of break 
  • Sponsored links:

• Deserved award for Regina King.
  • edited February 2019
    Carter said:
    Riviera said:
    Laddick01 said:
    And The Office...
    She did her yards as well, in the early 2000s she was in loads of adverts before getting any sort of break 
    Yep. I'm sure a lot will remember this one: Bev & Kev
  • I see Bohemian Rhapsody won best film editing... that’ll go down well. :wink:
  • Congratulations to Bohemian Rhapsody for winning the Oscar for most film editing.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I used to really enjoy it. Then realised it’s not much different from Starbucks doing awards for the best makers of coffee and asking me to care. 

Loads of trades have awards, fair enough. But how seriously actors take themselves is cringe-inducing. 
    Totally agree. It is just opinions of a few stuck up movie related people. Because of criticism, it has even moved beyond the best, and other considerations come into play.  
  • edited February 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:

Totally agree. It is just opinions of a few stuck up movie related people. Because of criticism, it has even moved beyond the best, and other considerations come into play.  
    The voters for The Oscars are 8,000+ people who work in the industry. 

I think there's a lot of cultural value in storytelling - we've always done it - since we were sat around campfires or drawing on cave walls. Its how we passed on lessons and morals and tales of our ancestors and it carries a lot more weight and meaning compared to drinking coffee.
  • Laddick01 said:
    And she got her growler out in Confetti
  • Laddick01 said:
    That's a Google search I'm going to resist
  • I see Bohemian Rhapsody won best film editing... that’ll go down well. :wink:
    Can't wait for the jazz remix.

BTW, love the avatar @lordromford, I hope you are going out and about like that.
  • I caught Green Book yesterday, and came out raving about what a great film it is. To be honest, I wanted to see Bohemian Rhapsody to win, partly as I thought it was brilliant, and partly for the many critics who felt it would be more important to maintain some sort of finnicky adhesión to every minute detail, no matter how wretched a film that made it, Difference between good film makers and people who créate nothing but naively criticise the successfull who do I guess. 
    Anyway, i was happy Bohemian Rhapsody got most Oscars, happy enought that the best firm was one that I enjoyed so much (I really didn't want Roma to win - a film that spends more money in oscar promotion than on actually being made really didn't deserve it, and I picked up a bit of a phobia about it having listened to so many critical intellectuals going on about how important and how bloody wonderfull it was.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Academy will get it wrong again and give it to ROMA . Good film but nowhere near the best. 

I'm so glad you were wrong about that one, Roma was beautifully shot but oh my god it was dull. would have been a travesty if it had won
  • Schrader's screenplay absolutely robbed tbh
  • I thought Black Panther was a good film, but I can think of a few super hero movies that were better. Is it really so significant a movie as people are claiming?  
  • Laddick01 said:
    Showbiz weddings eh?...........
  • Chunes said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

The voters for The Oscars are 8,000+ people who work in the industry. 

I think there's a lot of cultural value in storytelling - we've always done it - since we were sat around campfires or drawing on cave walls. Its how we passed on lessons and morals and tales of our ancestors and it carries a lot more weight and meaning compared to drinking coffee.
    The crazy thing is, many of those voters don't watch a lot of the movies they're voting for.

It's bizarre how the human brain works. We get told there's an official seal of approval and we buy into it. We ignore that the voters are just ticking boxes on a sheet of paper. Some of them are thinking "Well I want to vote for Black Panther cos it's got a great Africa thing going on" even though Black Panther really isn't that good a film.

Or "First Man didn't get a nomination for the 10 categories it should have done, I think I'll give it the special effects award" - I love First Man so much, but the special effects were beautifully simple (they built a giant LCD screen and played the backgrounds 'live' behind the actors). Infinity War is a far more incredible achievement. 

How many of those 8,000 can tell the difference between sound editing and mixing? Or really know what makes a great adapted screenplay? 

And if they really cared about editing, there's literally no way Bohemian Rhapsody could have won!! 

There's nothing 'official' about the actual voting. It's just human beings bashing out some votes, but once the seal appears on a movie, the movies seem to carry more clout and receive an upload of gravitas! 
  • And when you get criticised for being racist, you try to show you are not. 
  • I thought Black Panther was a good film, but I can think of a few super hero movies that were better. Is it really so significant a movie as people are claiming?  
    I think yes, in regards to African culture and black actors featuring so heavily in a big-budget tentpole movie. It should lead to some degree of change in Hollywood.

Personally I think that was rewarded by a huge box office take. I don't think there's a single element of it that deserved to win an industry award, it's a standard 3 out of 5 Marvel movie. As someone said on the Latest Films thread, it's not even the best Marvel movie of 2018.  
  • edited February 2019
    For me the best Marvel movie was the original Iron Man. As a piece of entertainment, the original Guardians of the Galaxy was up there too. I also really enjoyed Doctor Strange. For me, a film like Django was much more significant as is the trend of black actors playing the parts they would not normally be considered for. The BBC adaptation of Les Miserables, although not a film, was a great case in point and it did not detract from the narrative at all.