Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When / If we go back up...

Just reading about the stupid amounts of money that West Ham have been offering about (and surprisingly been turned down with) does that mean that missing out on this seasons stupid revenues will make us even more unable to compete than we were previously? And then where does that leave us in terms of retaining our PL status that season?

Comments

• Options
    i think in the long-run, what has happened to us may well benefit us.

There is an argument that the finances had spiralled out of control a bit. We had too many on the wage bill not providing value on good contracts, we were chasing money by trying desperately to compete, and we were probably having to pay a bit of a premium to convince players to come here post Curbishley. Off the pitch, i don't know but the liklihood is after a decent run on Premiership growth, the organisation may of become a bit fat and needed streamlining.

What we have now is an opportunity to trim the fat, reassess, and restructure for the next '5-year plan'. Its just become essential we get it right though.
  • Options
    nice posts chaps, can see both of your points
  • Options
    I see what youre saying Smudge but wont we just have to "fatten up" again once we're back?
  • Options
    Providing we do it right and don't get stuck in this league.....
    then I feel AFKA's got a point about the Board taking a good look at the running of the club, paring away non productive and unjustified non economic excesses and starting afresh.

Since the last time we restructured, the club has come a long way - and as a whole, is stll geared up for the PL.

Taking a fresh plan and putting it into practice should point the way forward to a new era. We hope (!).
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]I see what youre saying Smudge but wont we just have to "fatten up" again once we're back?

Naturally.

But in the modern game, the football and non-football aspects of running a club have moved on considerably in the past few years and when it comes to evolving, in the long-term it can sometimes help to take one step backwards, to be able to take 2 or 3 forwards.

In footballing terms, we have seen a big drain on the finances from players acquired in the late Curbishley years, who were squad players at best, and a complete waste last summer by Dowie. Towards the later Premiership years, we also probably let our guard drop in making sure realistic fall-in-wage clauses in the event of relegation were implemented properly.

These combined have left a legacy on the wage bill that meant we were paying out more for what we were getting back. It needed not just to be trimmed, but culled to enable a fresh start. Hopefully the players Pardew will bring in this summer will add more value on more realistic contracts.

Off the pitch, in times of turnover growth like we were experiencing, you always end up taking on more than leave. Certain units of the non-footballing side of the club may / may not of grown in staff numbers, but haven’t really delivered to the level they should be during a Premiership period. This will give an ideal time to reassess, and get a strategy in place not just for the interim, but equally in the event of a Premiership return.

And finally, in terms of supporters, a little reminder that the Premiership shouldn’t be the be-all and end-all of following a football club, that there is another world that can be equally as enjoyable, is certainly no bad thing. There is a strong argument that a successful season at a lower level, is far more advantageous and enjoyable than a moderate one at a higher level.

It’s important to look towards the positives, but its equally essentially the club works intensely to deliver the positives.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    IF we go straight back up, we'll be going up with what i would consider to be our worst side (based on what we currently have and the inevitable departure of d bent) to attempt to stay in the premiership and therefore think a lot of money will need to be spent to help us stay in the promised land..... but agree with the trimming of some of the deadwood at the club
  • Options
    ooh ahh, if we go back up, how will you have a clue what the squad will be like in 12 months time ???

there is little left already from last season, we've got the rest of the summer and the transfer window to get yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]ooh ahh, if we go back up, how will you have a clue what the squad will be like in 12 months time ???

i'm just judging it on what i've seen so far with the signings made , obviously it's all hypothetical because we wont go up;-)
  • Options
    the time you start getting optimistic mate will be the time i'll start worrying :-)
  • Options
    Look on the bright side everyone - if we don't go up - as well as Palace, we could be playing Millwall soon......

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Look on the bright side everyone - if we don't go up - as well as Palace, we could be playing Millwall soon......

;o)
    you mind reader....although palace might go up;-(
  • Options
    Don't spoil the season before it's started........!!!
  • Options
    My feeling was that maybe we were becoming a team of mercanarry footballers, Marcus Bent, JFH for example clearly didn't care about the club and one or two others. Hopefully they'll be cleared out in favour of a few players who we can bring through or give a chance in the higher leagues - like Kins, Robbo, Kieley etc. If we use this time and the parachute money/the money from Darren Bent's transfer well then we have the prospect of coming back stronger.

The riches that the Premiership teams have will attract a lot of foreign stars in and that creates an opportunity tfor some good younger players outside the Premiership who might prefer playing at Charlton and getting a regular game than sitting on the bench every other week.
  • Options
    We were all frustrated and disappointed with JFH, but he had a good reputation on the training ground. It was just on the park he was too immobile to work the channels like Darren Bent, and to be fair, rarely was on the end of any decent service.

In plain English, our departed friend Mr Dowie signed a player past his sell by date.