Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last quarter of the regular league season left, what do you think we can do?

Following the relief of yesterday’s first win in 5, we now have 12 games left of the league season.

I’m confident we’ll be in the top 6, but would like to see some momentum going into the final 6-8 games by winning all of them.  For those of us that can remember, winning 7 out of our last 8 when we went up in 98 was a huge factor in going up.  Of course, I’m not saying we go missing now for the next couple and don’t win, but I’m keen to see what everyone thinks we can do in the remaining 12 

March

Donny (a) - lose
Pompey (h) - draw
Burton (h) - win
Bristol Rvrs (a) - win
Wycombe (a) - draw
Bradford (h) - win

April 

Plymouth (a) - draw
Luton (h) - win
Oxford (a) - win
Scunthorpe (h) - win 
Gillingham (a) - lose 

May 

Rochdale (h) - win 

Reckon that puts us on 83pts by the end of the season.  Is that too much and am I being too hopeful.  

Would be great to get your thoughts 

Comments

• Options
    Been saying for a couple of weeks it's a 3 game season max for us now.
    Just hoping the play off semi final away leg I don't have to endure the coach.
  • Options
    Long given up trying to predict actual results

Think our aim should be fourth though to get that home advantage for the second leg of the Play-Offs

Of course yesterdays win might not be a return to form and may have been a one off so at the same time would still be happy with 6th
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I think LB is realistic enough to see that the PO is the best we can achieve.
    This brings us back to the same question as last season - Who in the likely top 6 can we beat over 2 legs?

Last seasons away leg at Shrews was V poor after a good run of results.

So it's Barnsley or Sunderland in 3rd place, then Pompey or Donny in 4-6, with maybe Posh,Fleetwood or Blackpool in the mix too.

IMO we could maybe beat Pompey or Donny over 2 legs, but then to face Barnsley or Sund in a final would be too much for us.

Get ready for another season of L1 dross I'm afraid, maybe without LB and JJ, and without some key players.
    Nice one Roland. Any more fantasy bidders turned up with an offer lately ?

• Options
    I’m just hoping we can do enough to stay in the playoff position then everything clicks and we go on to win promotion in the final at Wembley.

i honestly can’t see us making the top two now.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Even though they're well clear of us at present; Luton dont look great today against Coventry (Currently 1-1)
  • Options
    I think we're in danger of being the side that secures its play-off place with 4 games to spare and then finishes the season going through the motions, avoiding injuries and suspensions, etc, arriving in the play-offs with no momentum and a bit rusty from lack of intensity. Potentially tricky situation for Bowyer to manage.

That aside, we've taken points of all the top three and deserved much more than we got from the trips to Luton and Sunderland, but that was all before Grant went. Wouldn't want to face any of them over 2 legs but in a one-off we'd have a chance.

I'd be happy with 4th and facing a slightly demoralised Pompey side.
  • Options
    We need to work out an attacking method and avoid injuries. That's all really. Then bring on anyone in the playoffs
  • Options
    if we don't get to the play offs given our present position, all the players and managerial/coaching staff should be sacked
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    I think we're in danger of being the side that secures its play-off place with 4 games to spare and then finishes the season going through the motions, avoiding injuries and suspensions, etc, arriving in the play-offs with no momentum and a bit rusty from lack of intensity. Potentially tricky situation for Bowyer to manage.

That aside, we've taken points of all the top three and deserved much more than we got from the trips to Luton and Sunderland, but that was all before Grant went. Wouldn't want to face any of them over 2 legs but in a one-off we'd have a chance.

I'd be happy with 4th and facing a slightly demoralised Pompey side.
    As per the first paragraph it would be similar to last season really - Its ironic and irritating that we're facing Rochdale on the last day of the season as see a scenario playing out that is like the last day up there last season
  • Options
    Important to try and finish 4th rather than 5th or 6th so we can play 2nd leg of playoffs at the valley 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Important to try and finish 4th rather than 5th or 6th so we can play 2nd leg of playoffs at the valley 
    Nicky Bailey might not agree with that.....

:smile:
  • Options
    We’ll finish 5th or 4th imo so we’ll avoid Sunderland / Barnsley until the final (if we make it, which I think we can). Then it’s just 90 minutes and we can beat any team in this league if we show up
  • Options
    Simple really, goals win matches. Is anyone really confident that we have the squad that will suddenly go on a high scoring spree between now and May? Can't see it myself. Play-off spot should be achievable but I fear we will come up short. Just saying it as I feel it - hope I'm proved wrong.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Simple really, goals win matches. Is anyone really confident that we have the squad that will suddenly go on a high scoring spree between now and May? Can't see it myself. Play-off spot should be achievable but I fear we will come up short. Just saying it as I feel it - hope I'm proved wrong.
    Goals win you games but they also lose you games

Thankfully whilst our strikers arent producing our defence is... Whilst we remain solid at the back there is always a chance of nabbing a single goal or two
  • Options
    Cling on to our playoff place and lose in the semis and hope the club doesn't fall apart in the summer  
  • Options
    Reading this thread has made me nervous :-(
  • Options
    Doncaster are scheduled to play 8 games by end of March including Barnsley (home) & Luton (away).
  • Options
    Think we will make one of the play off spots but won’t make it to Wembley.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Only 2 clubs in the top 7 won this weekend ..... Charlton and Sunderland.
    Other teams dropped points against teams they were fancied to beat.

It's totally unpredictable and too early to call. At the beginning of Christmas, Portsmouth were several points clear at the top, 11 points above Charlton.
    People said at the time, Portsmouth were certainties for the title ........ now they've gone 8 games without a win.

This is the time of year when even the best teams get hit by injury, suspension and tiredness as matches come thick and fast. And as struggling teams suddenly begin to make a big fight of it, the formbook can go out of the window. There's still dog-eat-dog matches as teams in the promotion pack play other - they can't both win. Plenty of points yet to be dropped.

We're 8 points behind 2nd place, lost our leading goalscorer and just won our 1st game in 5.
    Right now top 2 looks unlikely, but it's not impossible should we go on a run and other teams go through what we've just gone through in the last month. And some of them will.

It's still all to play for.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick05 said:
    Goals win you games but they also lose you games

Thankfully whilst our strikers arent producing our defence is... Whilst we remain solid at the back there is always a chance of nabbing a single goal or two
    Yes, but our defence has been good for most of the season - BUT, you still have to score to win games.
  • Options
    I think Rochdale will be down by the game in May so we won't need to not turn up. It could also still make the difference between us having home advantage, i.e. 4th or 5th.

• Options
    Last quarter? Regular season? What is this, MLS??
  • Options
    Going to be tight....Portsmouth surely have to improve 

This is what form guide says for last 12 games going into last 12 games:

Luton 100

Barnsley 95

Sunderland 90

Charlton       78

Doncaster    76

Portsmouth 76

Peterborough 64

Looks like we would have to be really bad to not be in the playoffs at least ....

• Options
    BR3red said:
    Going to be tight....Portsmouth surely have to improve 

This is what form guide says for last 12 games going into last 12 games:

Luton 100

Barnsley 95

Sunderland 90

Charlton       78

Doncaster    76

Portsmouth 76

Peterborough 64

Looks like we would have to be really bad to not be in the playoffs at least ....

Surely someone like Blackpool or whoever in 8th downwards would have a higher  projected score than Peterborough 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Portsmouth have won 2 in the last 11. They need to improve otherwise they will be out of the play off places.

We need a minimum of 5 wins to secure our play off place. Can’t see us finishing below 6th, as we are difficult to beat and our defensively sound with only conceding 5 goals in the last 9 matches. 

I live in hope that we will find our mojo with 6 games to go and can only hope that other teams will bottle it on the final matches.
  • Options
    We can only hope that Igor comes good,if he does we can get a lot of goals,the defence is solid,and man for man we have possibly the best midfielders in the league(although I admit they are yet to show it).I still think Luton will wobble,Portsmouth are having a crap time,We have beaten Bransley and to be fair should have  done Sunderland at least once.Anything can happen Liverpool blew a 7 point lead in 3 games.Keep the faith.
  • Options
    15 more points required, some of our fixtures are kind in that they are teams that are struggling also not everyone around us will win every game. 
  • Options
    Beating luton
    Uve got to be joking