Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the most ridiculous competition of all time. 
    Imagine if it is - we could start the season two weeks later, have more CC matches at the height of the season and have 16 of them instead of the 14 and this ludicrous situation where teams play six teams twice and two teams once. 
  • Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the most ridiculous competition of all time. 
    Imagine if it is - we could start the season two weeks later, have more CC matches at the height of the season and have 16 of them instead of the 14 and this ludicrous situation where teams play six teams twice and two teams once. 
    Plus we could have a proper 50 overs competition where the counties play their 1st eleven and not their reserves. 
  • From what I've read it's proposed to be an 18 team league + some Minor Counties but with 1/3 local private investment allowed (No IPL franchises so we don't get Kent Knight Riders and MI Birmingham Bears) , more like Tony Bloom gets a chunk of the Sussex side , someone like Steve Lansdown with Gloucestershire. 

Looks like the ECB has realised The Hundred is getting blown out of the water in terms of what they can offer players by the MLC being in the same window and want to change things again. 

Although the article does say no changes until potentially 2028 due to the existing TV deal. 

• 2028 is when the TV deal runs out and there are no takers , so it’s probably getting binned …. Good 
  • What the hundred had going for it was that it was on the TV and gave decent billing to women's cricket. The problem was the format was cack
  • Sponsored links:

• Women's cricket is getting plenty of airtime on sky.
    We don't need the 100 for this to continue 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    From what I've read it's proposed to be an 18 team league + some Minor Counties but with 1/3 local private investment allowed (No IPL franchises so we don't get Kent Knight Riders and MI Birmingham Bears) , more like Tony Bloom gets a chunk of the Sussex side , someone like Steve Lansdown with Gloucestershire. 

Looks like the ECB has realised The Hundred is getting blown out of the water in terms of what they can offer players by the MLC being in the same window and want to change things again. 

Although the article does say no changes until potentially 2028 due to the existing TV deal. 

Sky will surely be amenable to rewriting their 100 contract. They'll know it's a tarnished competition, and would surely be happy if it was replaced with something more popular.
    Plus we could have a proper 50 overs competition where the counties play their 1st eleven and not their reserves. 
    Reserves? At times, Kent were playing their thirds plus some other players from Tunbridge Wells!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    From what I've read it's proposed to be an 18 team league + some Minor Counties but with 1/3 local private investment allowed (No IPL franchises so we don't get Kent Knight Riders and MI Birmingham Bears) , more like Tony Bloom gets a chunk of the Sussex side , someone like Steve Lansdown with Gloucestershire. 

Kind of poetic should the MLC go on to be the better competition, if the ECB decide to try to compete directly against it... they completely cocked it up didn't they?

• MarcusH26 said:

Kind of poetic should the MLC go on to be the better competition, if the ECB decide to try to compete directly against it... they completely cocked it up didn't they?

Oh I think they've already cocked it up - they just aren't going to get the big name players when MLC is offering a lot more money , looks like Steve Smith is potentially going to play for Washington next year too. 

Had a quick flick through the squads and I'd be surprised if any of the test squad played a game in it this year. 
  • edited July 2023
    If the 100 is binned then the county game is going  to be battling the MLC. If it takes off in the US and the Indian franchises throw huge money at it , it will become more difficult to attract the best players to play here , unless the counties have deep pockets, which we all know isn’t the case. 

We need a product and the financial backing to compete. 
  • Well I'm off to Blighty today & all being well with the weather I shall be at the double header on Wednesday at Sofia Gardens 😁
  • And now Rashid Khan has pulled out of the tournament and isn't going to play for Trent Rockets 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz normally has his say on this subject
  • edited July 2023
    IAgree said:
    Awful artificial unwanted competition which no self respecting cricket fan is anything but scornful for. Losing money hand over fist and doing nothing constructive for any of the formats of the game. 

And I understand that this is the reason five tests were squeezed into a few weeks……
    So absolutely loathe it!
  • IAgree said:
    IAgree said:
    Awful artificial unwanted competition which no self respecting cricket fan is anything but scornful for. Losing money hand over fist and doing nothing constructive for any of the formats of the game. 

And I understand that this is the reason five tests were squeezed into a few weeks……
    So absolutely loathe it!
    Agreed. Too hard on the players with the matches in the best cricket series squeezed in to too short a timescale for a stupid tournament. I'm going to so miss the cricket but no way will I watch that feckin excuse for cricket!
  • my lad has decided he wants to go to a Hundred game, so gateway drug hopefully 
  • McBobbin said:
    I seem to remember that part of the reason we have this 100 ball nonsense is because of time constraints on terrestrial TV? If that can be sorted and we have an actual T20 competition that people without sky can actually watch, that would be a good thing.
    Part of the problem is how slow T20s are these days, I'm sure the old Sunday League 40 over matches didn't take much longer to complete!
  • IAgree said:

All competitions are artificial…
  • Have no intention of watching this completely useless competition. Didn't watch it last year either! Hope it gets binned as soon as possible!
  • Have no intention of watching this completely useless competition. Didn't watch it last year either! Hope it gets binned as soon as possible!
    I think that unfortunately the viewing figures will be distorted by those pining some form of cricket after the Ashes. But hopefully it is still doomed. And very soon! And hopefully they will turn off when it isn't remotely as good or indeed cricket at all!