Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    damp squib start, however the Brave will still be the team to catch .. the fire ? .. they need some fuel to combust a lot more and that fielding ? .. say no more
  • Options
    I flicked between the cricket & The Commonwealth Games, but after about half an hour of smoke & boring cricket played by 2 made up teams, I pretty much kept with the athletics.
    NB the TV screen scorecard is ridiculous.
  • Options
    /killerandflash said:
    Leaving aside my general disdain for the format, tonight's game has so far hardly been a great advert for short form cricket to a "non watcher".

Another turgid pitch, with the batters struggling to get it away, when the whole appeal of short form cricket is seeing loads of runs and big shots.
    Whilst it wasn't one necessarily to get the pulse racing, I agree, there's a bit of an element of "damned if they do, damned if they don't" about this. SB bowled quite well, restricting WF to a very moderate total. They then set about doing their job with a bat pretty efficiently too.

Had both sides gone out and got 170+ then they get accused of being all crash, bang wallop with no technique on show.
    If both sides had scored 170, then the "pundits" would have drooling over the shots, and the crowd would probably be happier too. It's not like Test cricket where a over of brilliant bowling testing the batsman's defences is gripping viewing, in white ball cricket it's the 4s and 6s that people want to see, just as in baseball it's the home runs which get people most excited.

WF looked rubbish, and of all the franchises were always the one with the least justification when you consider how weak Glamorgan are, and how many players Somerset have produced for example.
    The Welsh Fire - what a misnomer. Not a single Welsh player and they fire nothing but blanks!!!
  • Options
    First time I’ve watched it and thought it was awful. Even the start was delayed because of the firework smoke. Didn’t help that it was so one sided I guess. Reckon they’ll can it after this season. 
  • Options
    First time I’ve watched it and thought it was awful. Even the start was delayed because of the firework smoke. Didn’t help that it was so one sided I guess. Reckon they’ll can it after this season. 
    They can't - the ECB are pot committed to make this a success and have already agreed TV rights 'til 2028 - but only guaranteed the counties their distribution of £1.3m each 'til 2024.
  • Options
    I adore cricket but I can’t get excited by this tournament. Watched it tonight and I was bored by it . We just don’t need it . 

• Options
    T20 was enough innovation that was required.  I don't think it will last and putting it up the start of the football season seems completly mad.  if you need a 100 competition month then it should be early July to early August when football really is not about. 
  • Options
    pickwick said:
    T20 was enough innovation that was required.  I don't think it will last and putting it up the start of the football season seems completly mad.  if you need a 100 competition month then it should be early July to early August when football really is not about. 
    I'd wondered about the timing too. Timed to coincide with the school holidays yes, but also smack against the football season so any "crossover" media interest will be swamped
  • Options
    It's shit. 
    End of 
    I agree..it is a form of franchise sport....I dislike that. Who can love a team that as an appendage affixed to the name like Brave or Fire. 
    Or Athletic ? 
  • Options
    Leaving aside my general disdain for the format, tonight's game has so far hardly been a great advert for short form cricket to a "non watcher".

Another turgid pitch, with the batters struggling to get it away, when the whole appeal of short form cricket is seeing loads of runs and big shots.
    Whilst it wasn't one necessarily to get the pulse racing, I agree, there's a bit of an element of "damned if they do, damned if they don't" about this. SB bowled quite well, restricting WF to a very moderate total. They then set about doing their job with a bat pretty efficiently too.

Had both sides gone out and got 170+ then they get accused of being all crash, bang wallop with no technique on show.
    If both sides had scored 170, then the "pundits" would have drooling over the shots, and the crowd would probably be happier too. It's not like Test cricket where a over of brilliant bowling testing the batsman's defences is gripping viewing, in white ball cricket it's the 4s and 6s that people want to see, just as in baseball it's the home runs which get people most excited.

WF looked rubbish, and of all the franchises were always the one with the least justification when you consider how weak Glamorgan are, and how many players Somerset have produced for example.
    What have Glamorgan or Somerset got to do with it? 

These are franchises with no link to the counties 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have they kept the same awful on screen scorecard as last season or has it been updated? 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I find the constant 'bigging up' from the commentary team tiresome. 

It's just too obvious they are trying to sell this product, the upbeat messaging and platitudes sound so false and strained.  
  • Options
    Bring on the T0 when stars from around the world sign up to represent England and other countries. Kohli playing for England. Yep, if we bid enough. TV viewers then vote on which team would have won in a format chosen at random from a spinning wheel set off by a celebrity. The winning team get £50 million per player per match. Proper entertainment.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Have they kept the same awful on screen scorecard as last season or has it been updated? 

Same rubbish graphics 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What have Glamorgan or Somerset got to do with it? 

These are franchises with no link to the counties 
    But they're located at county grounds, where the home county gets massive benefits from the association, as any new fan attracted by the 100 will be more likely to gravitate to that county if they want to see some other cricket.

Everyone sees the Manchester Originals for example as an extension of Lancashire.
  • Options
    Part of the attraction for me was having the women playing first.
    Why didn’t that happen yesterday?
    Was it because of the Commonwealth Games?

Was really diluted yesterday.
    Very poor.
  • Options

Very poor
  • Options

Very poor.
     Women's 20/20 is part of the C Games .. I believe the women's 100 starts on August 11th (ish)
  • Options
    Just a shame that the first game was so poor and one sided.. bonus was a great Vince innings even given he was dolly dropped on zero ..
    silly really to pit the best team against one of the worst on what looked to be at the start a very poor pitch .. the smoke at the start was ridiculous .. and lastly, the Sky commentary was awful, the Beeb's was much better .. I enjoyed last year's 100, I wonder if this season's will be as enjoyable
  • Options

Very poor.
     Women's 20/20 is part of the C Games .. I believe the women's 100 starts on August 11th (ish)
    Shame.
    Thats really going to change it for me.
    Thanks for the reply x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 London teams tonight .. both look powerful 'on paper' .. at the Oval
  • Options
    Battle of the out of form opening batsman. Though I suppose you could argue if Zak Crawley was ever in form. 
  • Options
    Battle of the out of form opening batsman. Though I suppose you could argue if Zak Crawley was ever in form. 
    very true .. there is some good pre match coaching for young kids going on with Maxwell, Pietersen and Ward
  • Options
    Eoin Morgan .. super innings for London Pride

• Options
    so Roy goes 1st ball .. great catch, at least Crawley had a decent cameo
  • Options
    It's still shit 
  • Options
    That was an exciting finish.
  • Options
    Ignore it and it will go away…………
  • Options
    I so resent how this “format” runs simultaneously with, and undermines, the One Day Cup. The hundred is designed for a minimum attention span and to entertain with bright colours.

Still I guess it prepares our national “hundred” team for the Hundred World Cup & Hundred tests. Oh no wait…………..
  • Options
    That was an exciting finish.
    No... our Wembley  finals had exciting finishes. This Hundred thing is ruining cricket. Us how many 6's in 100.  16.67 ?
    I'm not in a position to say whether or not The Hundred is ruining cricket, but I found that finish exciting.