Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    Well…  they are the most geographically specific team in the competition. Designed solely to get the Surrey fans supporting. They don’t want/need fans from rest of the south east 

at least London Spirit is all encompassing of the London environs. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    All the cricket commentators at the BBC/Sky have become schills for the ECB.

Like in so many things these days, there is a narrative that must be served, whether it reflects reality or not.

Understandably, said commentators will not bite the hand that feeds them, but it has breached the trust between them and the public, many of whom will not appreciate being treated like idiots.  I do have some sympathy for them though; if they do happen to mention the Emperor's new clothes, then they would be frozen out from the game that they love and replaced with another fashionable identikit PR spouting nonentity that seem to infest the media these days.

Most in their situation would do the same.  Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, though.

The money taken by the counties will prove to be the 30 pieces of silver that killed county cricket.

I truly despise the ECB.
    Could not agree more. I can get behind the Hundred as a concept to a point, I've no doubt it's brought a lot more attention to the women's game which can only be a good thing and I'm sure there are fans watching the hundred who wouldn't have interest in other formats of the game. 

However how it's been rammed through at all costs regardless of the impact it has on counties and test cricket as a format is an absolute disgrace. If the ECB put 10% of the effort they've put in to promoting the hundred into promoting county cricket then it would be in a much better place. I don't have an issue with the Hundred in itself, it's not a format I particulary enjoy however I can see why others enjoy it.  It's the fact ECB have suddenly found time and resources to spend grand sums of money on it which seemingly didn't exist to do anything about the state of county cricket. 

I genuinely feel test cricket is seen as an inconvenience by the powers that be, and if it was up to them the format would disappear. You only had to watch the last match between England vs India to realise the impact the Hundred is already having on the standard of test cricket. If that team goes to Australia for the Ashes this year and plays anything like they have so far we are going to be well and truly stuffed. 

• Options

Like in so many things these days, there is a narrative that must be served, whether it reflects reality or not.

Understandably, said commentators will not bite the hand that feeds them, but it has breached the trust between them and the public, many of whom will not appreciate being treated like idiots.  I do have some sympathy for them though; if they do happen to mention the Emperor's new clothes, then they would be frozen out from the game that they love and replaced with another fashionable identikit PR spouting nonentity that seem to infest the media these days.

Most in their situation would do the same.  Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, though.

The money taken by the counties will prove to be the 30 pieces of silver that killed county cricket.

I truly despise the ECB.
    Could not agree more. I can get behind the Hundred as a concept to a point, I've no doubt it's brought a lot more attention to the women's game which can only be a good thing and I'm sure there are fans watching the hundred who wouldn't have interest in other formats of the game. 

However how it's been rammed through at all costs regardless of the impact it has on counties and test cricket as a format is an absolute disgrace. If the ECB put 10% of the effort they've put in to promoting the hundred into promoting county cricket then it would be in a much better place. I don't have an issue with the Hundred in itself, it's not a format I particulary enjoy however I can see why others enjoy it.  It's the fact ECB have suddenly found time and resources to spend grand sums of money on it which seemingly didn't exist to do anything about the state of county cricket. 

I genuinely feel test cricket is seen as an inconvenience by the powers that be, and if it was up to them the format would disappear. You only had to watch the last match between England vs India to realise the impact the Hundred is already having on the standard of test cricket. If that team goes to Australia for the Ashes this year and plays anything like they have so far we are going to be well and truly stuffed. 

What effect do you think the Hundred has already had on the England Test team already? 

Or, would you say that it's really a bit too soon to say? 

Reminder, we lost to New Zealand before the Hundred; the best players in the England team in the series against India so far all played in the Hundred (exception, Sam Curran); the worst, didn't. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Tell you what, this is a fantastic opening spell of swing bowling from Kapp

10 balls, 2 for 3
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I truly despise the ECB.

What effect do you think the Hundred has already had on the England Test team already? 

Reminder, we lost to New Zealand before the Hundred; the best players in the England team in the series against India so far all played in the Hundred (exception, Sam Curran); the worst, didn't. 

I'd say it already has had an impact as a lot of those players have barely faced a test ball this summer due to the crazy schedule and are then expected to be on top form against one of the best teams in the world. Are we genuinely saying that's the right preparation for a test series?

We are then replacing out of form players with players who again have barely any test cricket under their belt this year. I may be wrong but I'm sure David Malan has not faced a competitive test ball this year yet has just got a call up. We then wonder why so many look out of form.

I'm not against the Hundred as a format, I am in my mid twenties and barely anyone in my social circle follows cricket. Yet I know of loads who have been to Hundred matches this summer who would never in a million years have gone to any other form of cricket and they all really enjoyed it and I'm sure will be back again next year. 

The issue for me is it feels like the ECB have gone all out promoting this new format and trying to attract new fans without any consideration to the other formats of the game, and the fans of those formats. 

I absolutely understand that I am probably a dying breed in terms of a genuine fan of county cricket, and all the evidence suggests these new formats are where the new fan base is at, and therefore where the money is at.

However I also think if the ECB invested just a tiny fraction of their time and resources into the county game then there is potential to attract new fans to that format as well. I would add investing time and resources is very different to just handing the county teams bags of cash as seems to happen now,  its about making efforts to try to attract a new audience to a format of cricket as they have done to great success with the hundred.
    I'd say it already has had an impact as a lot of those players have barely faced a test ball this summer due to the crazy schedule and are then expected to be on top form against one of the best teams in the world. Are we genuinely saying that's the right preparation for a test series?

We are then replacing out of form players with players who again have barely any test cricket under their belt this year. I may be wrong but I'm sure David Malan has not faced a competitive test ball this year yet has just got a call up. We then wonder why so many look out of form.

I'm not against the Hundred as a format, I am in my mid twenties and barely anyone in my social circle follows cricket. Yet I know of loads who have been to Hundred matches this summer who would never in a million years have gone to any other form of cricket and they all really enjoyed it and I'm sure will be back again next year. 

The issue for me is it feels like the ECB have gone all out promoting this new format and trying to attract new fans without any consideration to the other formats of the game, and the fans of those formats. 

I absolutely understand that I am probably a dying breed in terms of a genuine fan of county cricket, and all the evidence suggests these new formats are where the new fan base is at, and therefore where the money is at.

However I also think if the ECB invested just a tiny fraction of their time and resources into the county game then there is potential to attract new fans to that format as well. I would add investing time and resources is very different to just handing the county teams bags of cash as seems to happen now,  its about making efforts to try to attract a new audience to a format of cricket as they have done to great success with the hundred.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I truly despise the ECB.

No, no-one has said, genuinely or otherwise, that playing the Hundred is 'the right preparation for a Test series'.  But you said that it's already having an impact.  I completely disagree.  It's far too soon to say that it's already having an impact.  Since the start of the Hundred, we've played two Tests against one of the best teams in the world, and lost one of them, due in part to having had two of the best players in the world (Stokes and Broad) missing.  Generally, those who have played in the Hundred have been the better performers in the Test series versus India and the worst-performers didn't play in the Hundred.  

It's too soon to come up with the argument that having a high-value, high-quality, short-form, white ball competition (as the best Test nations do) will be detrimental.  I am sure those who have a blinkered, closed view on the Hundred will want to make that point as the seasons continue, as the Hundred continues, and, no doubt, as counties continue not to play 'friendlies' while there are gaps in the schedule.  And that argument may turn out to have legs.  It doesn't yet.  

I am really pleased your social circle - I assume they're mainly in their twenties, too, are getting in to live, domestic cricket.  That, after all, is the best measure of success of the Hundred.  

It's worth noting, also, that the ECB haven't excluded any other format this year.  There is still First Class, county championship cricket this year; still T20s, still one-day matches; full Test series against the best two teams in the world; T20 internationals and ODIs.  And the women's game has undergone absolute transformation this year, thanks to the many more full-time, professional women cricketers and the incredible figure of 250,000 people watching women's Hundred matches in its first Summer.  

Not everything is rosy in the world of cricket in this country; but the Hundred is making it better. 
  • Options
    Just turned it on, to catch the end of the first innings. And now a DJ set at Lord's  :D
  • Options
    Thoroughly enjoyed that final. I did feel sorry for my son though who turned down a free ticket because he was going to Charlton instead.
  • Options
    Great tournament - loved it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Glad thats over. Now back to the proper cricket. 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    For the proper cricket fans.
  • Options
    Is this garbage over & done with now - hopefully a one season wonder, the whole rotten structure at the ECB needs binning asap
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Whats a ‘proper cricket fan’? 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Why can't there be room for both types of cricket?

Thousands of people have thoroughly enjoyed watching The Hundred. Many will continue watching and be the cricket fans of the future, or even the new players of the future, that must be a good thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Stig said:
    Thoroughly enjoyed that final. I did feel sorry for my son though who turned down a free ticket because he was going to Charlton instead.
    Me too, especially as my nephew insisted I pick a team at the start to follow and we both went with the Brave as they're the closest. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed every game that I saw, which was most of those on the Beeb. As has my wife who has previously shown zero interest in cricket. How could anyone not enjoy Livingstone's knock the other night? 

The quality of the cricket has been much higher than many of those grumbling about it will concede too I think. Given the format, where every run counts, some of the fielding has been exceptional for example and as we saw last night there's been some high quality bowling too. It's different from a 5 day test but that's not to say a lot of the talent, skill and experience are not transferable. 

I've enjoyed the knockabout stuff too. The music's far from my taste but so what? The commentary, and having current players involved, has been spot on in tone. As we saw with the Ravi's pants running joke it's much more TMS at its lighthearted best than listening to Boycott moaning because someone's not given themselves 20 overs to play themselves in. 

After the last 18 months we've all endured it's great to see families out for a great night out together. Are we not allowed to have some fun watching sport? I'm sure many of those new to cricket will now be back for other formats of the game too.

If enjoying the 100 means you're not a proper cricket fan then so be it.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Me too, especially as my nephew insisted I pick a team at the start to follow and we both went with the Brave as they're the closest. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed every game that I saw, which was most of those on the Beeb. As has my wife who has previously shown zero interest in cricket. How could anyone not enjoy Livingstone's knock the other night? 

The quality of the cricket has been much higher than many of those grumbling about it will concede too I think. Given the format, where every run counts, some of the fielding has been exceptional for example and as we saw last night there's been some high quality bowling too. It's different from a 5 day test but that's not to say a lot of the talent, skill and experience are not transferable. 

I've enjoyed the knockabout stuff too. The music's far from my taste but so what? The commentary, and having current players involved, has been spot on in tone. As we saw with the Ravi's pants running joke it's much more TMS at its lighthearted best than listening to Boycott moaning because someone's not given themselves 20 overs to play themselves in. 

After the last 18 months we've all endured it's great to see families out for a great night out together. Are we not allowed to have some fun watching sport? I'm sure many of those new to cricket will now be back for other formats of the game too.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoyed him stupidly running himself out :D
  • Options
    Maybe it was meant as ‘proper cricket’ fan rather than proper ‘cricket fan’ 
  • Options
    16 Crazy Cricket Fan Around The World  Sports Maniac  Reckon Talk
  • Options
    As I have stated previously. 
    It is the scheduling to the detriment of the other formats that have most people annoyed. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Stewart said:
    Whats a ‘proper cricket fan’? 
    Obviously not me - I only have played for 20 years , attend test matches every year and county championship games as well as t20’s and one dayers — but I like the  hundred - so I am not a proper cricket fan. 
  • Options

Thousands of people have thoroughly enjoyed watching The Hundred. Many will continue watching and be the cricket fans of the future, or even the new players of the future, that must be a good thing.
    If the 100 could be scheduled in a way that it doesn't interfere with the county championship and the 50 overs competition it would be easier to accept. 
    In its present format it means county sides are having to play weakened sides which is not acceptable to most cricket fans. 
    Perhaps that is the lesson that needs to be learnt, this year has probably been more difficult because of Covid.
  • Options

If the 100 could be scheduled in a way that it doesn't interfere with the county championship and the 50 overs competition it would be easier to accept. 
    In its present format it means county sides are having to play weakened sides which is not acceptable to most cricket fans. 
    Counties still manage to cobble together teams when players are on England duty. So, should Tests, ODIs and T20Is be rescheduled to accommodate the County Championship and its enough grounds too? 
  • Options
    Stig said:

But all the positives you mention already existed in the T20 Blast, the big hitting, great fielding and "razzmatazz". The 100 didn't invent any of this, and nearly all the players on show last night in the final would have also played in this season's Blast, the 3 Sussex bowlers Jordan, Mills and Garton, Milne for Kent, Livingstone for Lancashire, Stirling for Middlesex etc

• Options

Well that was brilliant!

I’m not hanging about as I’m not a proper cricket fan.

Toddle pip 😁
  • Options
    Note that the Hundred has reached its spectacular denouement, we can look forward to an exciting, gripping and crowd-packed week of county championship matches to unlock the huge, latent demand for 'proper' cricket. 

Wait, what..?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Note that the Hundred has reached its spectacular denouement, we can look forward to an exciting, gripping and crowd-packed week of county championship matches to unlock the huge, latent demand for 'proper' cricket. 

Wait, what..?
    You are obviously a very intelligent person capable of holding your own on many a subject. 
    But on the cricket thread you come across as being a bit of a wum.

No offence meant as I quite enjoy debating with on on other threads. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Wait, what..?
    You are obviously a very intelligent person capable of holding your own on many a subject. 

Just highlighting that every reason given for not supporting the Hundred is, to a greater or lesser extent, contradictory. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Wait, what..?

Just highlighting that every reason given for not supporting the Hundred is, to a greater or lesser extent, contradictory. 
    No it  isn't; you are just repeatedly ignoring the many valid arguments that you disagree with!