Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackpool | Sat 16 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Blackpool
Saturday 16th February 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Kevin Johnson (Weston-Super-Mare)

Introduction
Well gone are the days of the fixture list which would see teams playing home and away on alternate games and this Saturday has the Addicks back at the Valley for the second time in quick succession before another two trips on the road. Last weekend would see Charlton bouncing back from defeat up in Fleetwood with a 1-1 draw at Southend… It’s been nearly a month since our last victory (coming against Accrington), wins must start to return and fast as the chasing pack start to smell blood, one of those sides: Blackpool visit South East London this weekend knowing that a result could either end their Play-Off aspirations or set up would could be a chaotic finish to the season.

The Opposition
Name: Blackpool | Manager: Terry McPhillips
Ground: Bloomfield Road

Like the hosts; Blackpool are one of a number of teams in the Football League that are these days owned by rogue Chairman with little interest in what happens on the pitch – The links created by Charlton and Blackpool fans of late (culminating in joint protests at the Football League) show how Football fans can unite and paint a bright picture that the media seem so reluctant to portray us in at times...

For our opponents this weekend its been an interesting 24-hours with court proceedings voting in favour for what could be a big moment for getting the bad apples out of their club yet for the time being our happiness at their joy should be put to one side, for ninety minutes am sure both sets of fans will be wanting the three points that could end a long absence from England’s second tier.

On the playing front you certainly have to give credit to Terry McPhillips; like our own Lee Bowyer he’s been forced to do a job with his hands tied behind his back but with an even smaller budget than ours is probably doing even better – After briefly defeating Charlton (2-1) at Bloomfield Road in November; the Tangerines would go on to lose three on the bounce, undefeated since New Years Day though has seen Blackpool return to the Play-Off fight though, and having earnt a 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light last time out proves that this wont be an easy fixture by any means!!

Charlton Team News
Without a win in three games; Lee Bowyer was forced to change things last time out which saw the surprise inclusion of both Tariqe Fosu and Mark Marshall into the side… Afterwards Lee would admit that he was unhappy with the two players and their performances in the final third so it would be a surprise to him persisting with the same formation as last week.

Today though was greeted by the extra good news that Joe Aribo is in line to make his return following a knee injury that has kept him out since the Gillingham clash – With Lyle Taylor and Patrick Bauer also returning from suspension it means that the squad is almost back together again, just Jake Forster-Caskey, Lewis Page and Krystian Bielik will be forced to miss this fixture with the latter serving the first of his two match suspension after reaching ten bookings.

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Williams | Cullen | Aribo
Reeves
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pratley | Fosu | Lapslie | Parker | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
When Karlan Grant left the Valley many predicted that the loss wouldn’t be so bad because of the good work from Lyle Taylor, well the latter returns from suspension this weekend so will be time to see what the Tonic can do without the Gin… No one can deny that we’ve missed our marquee signing these last few weeks but still expect this to be a challenging fixture

Comments

• Options
    Apologies for the formatting... Dont know whats happened this weekend with the new setup for posting
  • Options
    2 - 1 to us , Taylor with both. ( welcome back Lyle ).
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.

Ha, ha. We couldn't score four if the other team wore blindfolds!

OK so now go out and prove me wrong... I'll take the pelters!

1-1 or worse.

• Options
    We'll score 4 when we least expect to.

It's the Charlton way, don't you know?

• Options
    Great preview as usual FA.
    Taylor and Bauer return to bolster the side.
    Taylor and Parker to both score in a 3.1 victory to give us much needed breathing space over the chasing pack.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Play-Off Final against Sunderland then

Only they'll do the same leaving both sets of fans rocking in their seats muttering: "Its happening again" - You'll only tell the two sets apart by the manic grins on the faces of the Charlton supporters
  • Options
    Expect to see Lapslie start in favour of Aribo from your selection list, with Joe on the bench.   Otherwise we might need to take off Aribo, Williams and Reeves to save them from doing a full ninety!  Great to have Lyle back, and whether he plays with Parker or Igor we need to get goals...

2-1 Addicks
  • Options
    1-0. Taylor in the 97th minute. Takes his shirt off to celebrate and having already been booked is subsequently sent off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Great preview as always @ForeverAddickted. I agree with @ross1on the selection. Parker up front with Lyle and Aribo on the bench although I suspect LB may be under pressure to play Igor to get him match fit. Hard game to call as we are in a bit of a trough and they are on the up and buoyed by some good ownership news. But we have our talisman back so I’m hopeful. Crucial game. Win and we are back on track, lose and they are right up our backsides with some momentum. I fear another draw but hope for a win. 
  • Options
    Hard fought win for the Addicks. 2-1
  • Options
    Hope Taylor is under orders to be on his best behaviour. Can't afford to be without him again
  • Options
    8.0 to the Tangerine Wizards. Whatever happens, enjoy the day. We will be partying. 
  • Options
    We are all hoping that Taylor's return will put the good ship promotion back on track. But, think our miserable recent performances, will be a drag on the team. Sorry 1-1 an no goals for Taylor who puts in a stinker ! 

Its the Charlton way ! 
  • Options
    Difficult game with a great scoreline 2-0 Taylor and Williams, very rare goal for the latter. 
  • Options
    2-0. Grant will claim one of the goals.
  • Options
    I have a feeling Parker will start rather than Vetokele. Hope so. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We really need the win. LB has said that Parker now understands what is required from him, and I think he’ll start along side Taylor. Hopefully they’ll click and get the goals flowing again. A squeaky bum 2-1 to the reds. 
  • Options
    3-0 to us without any fuss. 
    The play offs are on!
    Taylor is back in
    Let's leave the valley with a big smile.
    That doesn't rhyme. :/
  • Options
    Worried about this one in case LB has finally been exasperated by the inept ownership and his patience has run out.

A strong performance and win will be a good indicator that all is still well in the dressing room but I worry the wheels of Bowyer's half decent bus have, once again, been removed by Roland.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

1-4 at QPR when we hadn't won on the road all season and most of the previous one.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    I have a feeling Parker will start rather than Vetokele. Hope so. 

Yeah I've gone for Vetokele over Parker as the latter was signed as a last resort rather than an actual Bowyer target and so will have to prove himself a bit more to earn a starting berth - I'd much prefer Parker starting though based on last week - I think he could cause opponents as much trouble as Taylor and in the same sort of way
  • Options
    Will be a tough match with us having the lion share of the ball. Fancy us to sneak over the line with a 2-0 win.

Taylor & Reeves

Phillips

Solly, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington 

Cullen, Reeves, Williams, Aribo

Taylor and Vetokele.

• Options
    Bows has the skills and know how to build a Rolls Royce of a team; unfortunately Roland has given him the designs and budget to build a Robin Relient, which was due to his foggy miss firing brain having made an unlikely link (for him), that Charlton and a robin we’re somehow connected.

Dispite being a wheel short I think Taylor’s return will fire up the team and the crowd and he will drive us home to victory.

(looking forward to the art work that will surely follow!).
  • Options
    When was the last time we didn't lose a player to either injury, suspension, recalled loan or being transferred after a match ! 

Lee Bowyer has done a fantastic job considering the situation at Cafc. He must miss the fishing.

From memory, haven't the last two home games finished in draws against Blackpool after we were well on top ?

I'm going for a crazy score line of 4-2 in front a 14K crowd. I'm a broken glass type of guy but I have a feeling in my water.
    (It may just be an infection)
  • Options
    This game is a definite six pointer .. Blackpool are in decent form ..  they don't score or concede many .. if we take the lead (big IF a t m ) they will be in trouble, so best we get off to a quick start and attack them from the go .. 
    Our recent scoring drought has been put down to the departed Grant and banned Taylor .. the latter is back so we'll see how we go .. hope Aribo is selected to start, if he tires replace him rather than bring him on when it might be too late .. about time Parker got a start (Vetokele is a waste of space) .. they beat us at theirs with a very late goal (of which we still concede too many) and proved to be a tough (if not another dirty L1) outfit
    We need to win games such as these to prove our right to be in with a promotion chance .. we will win this .. JUST

CAFC 2 v Blackpool 1