Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Declan Rice chooses England

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Is he all that?

i know he’s had a good start this season , but  a West Ham fan I know reckons Rice is worth 75 million, turned down a move to a top 4 club, and is miles better than Joe Gomez!
    How can they compare the 2

Gomez-Defender
    Rice-Midfilder

You cant compare players who play in different position as each offer different attributes
  • Options
    Is he all that?

i know he’s had a good start this season , but  a West Ham fan I know reckons Rice is worth 75 million, turned down a move to a top 4 club, and is miles better than Joe Gomez!

Gomez-Defender
    Rice-Midfilder

You cant compare players who play in different position as each offer different attributes
    How do you reason with a West Ham fan?
  • Options
    Is he all that?

Gomez-Defender
    Rice-Midfilder

Exactly!

He thought Declan Rice was the best defensive player since Bobby Moore!
  • Options
    A player will always want to play at the highest standard he can so no real surprise. 
  • Options
    Plastic not so plastic after all...  fiddly-dee!

Welcome to the fold Declan.
  • Options
    It's not his parents anyway, it's his grandparents on one side, so he's basically English

I hate the way nations fight over players, especially ones brought up in another country, if you can't produce your own find players with parents or even grandparents from your country. Wales in recent years have captured a number of young players born in England, who are basically English.

England in football are usually the country losing out, though to be fair in other sports like cricket the boot is on the other foot, with all the Saffers who've played for England, Morgan who's Irish and Archer who could/should be playing for the Windies.
    really? who have England missed out on?

• Options
    Qualifying criteria should be country of birth or parents nationality only. 

none of this grandparents malarkey. 

Once you play for the senior squad squad that should also be it. Doesn’t matter if it is a friendly. 
  • Options
    It's not his parents anyway, it's his grandparents on one side, so he's basically English

I hate the way nations fight over players, especially ones brought up in another country, if you can't produce your own find players with parents or even grandparents from your country. Wales in recent years have captured a number of young players born in England, who are basically English.

England in football are usually the country losing out, though to be fair in other sports like cricket the boot is on the other foot, with all the Saffers who've played for England, Morgan who's Irish and Archer who could/should be playing for the Windies.

Garreth Bale had an English grandparent and so could have played for 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿!
  • Options
    If I was Irish I'd have wanted him to fuck right off as soon as he said he had a decision to make. 

No way could he have gone back into that squad if players if he had decided to stay Irish, he's a decent enough player I just don't think he's much of a character 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Garreth Bale had an English grandparent and so could have played for 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿!
    Harry Kane could have played for ROI
  • Options

The hero that is Wilfried Zaha.

Could have outstripped Tom Daley one day.

• Options
    Is he all that?

He's looked really good when I've seen him this year to be fair.  That's only 2 or 3 full games admittedly.
  • Options

From the recent Wales squad, David Brooks, Ethan Ampadu, Ben Woodburn all could have chosen to play for England. Indeed around 2/3 of their squad were born in England

Scott McTominay, Matt Richie, Tom Cairney, all English born etc

Not saying England would want any of those players, but it's generally a one way street with the home nations, I can't think of too many England footballers born in the other home nations, who  chose England due to an English grandparent.
  • Options

Well he is just as English as Raheem Sterling 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    You shouldn't have to think about who you play for internationally, your heart should tell you.
  • Options

Thinking of this I can’t recall anything like fuss over Declan Rice being made when zaha switched allegiances!
  • Options

Thinking of this I can’t recall anything like fuss over Declan Rice being made when zaha switched allegiances!
    Apologies if I’m having a “whoosh” moment but I think that’s because he isn’t English (not even by birth) and wasn’t playing anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Apologies if I’m having a “whoosh” moment but I think that’s because he isn’t English (not even by birth) and wasn’t playing anyway.
    Thats kind of the point.

Rice was born in England but represented Ireland at youth level and played friendlies for Ireland due to his grandparents, but has choosen now to play for england the country of his birth

Zaha was born in Ivory Coast but represented England at youth level and played friendlies for England due to growing up in England, but has choosen to represent Ivory Coast the country of his birth.

So no differet to Rice but less fuss
  • Options

Thats kind of the point.

Rice was born in England but represented Ireland at youth level and played friendlies for Ireland due to his grandparents, but has choosen now to play for england the country of his birth

Zaha was born in Ivory Coast but represented England at youth level and played friendlies for England due to growing up in England, but has choosen to represent Ivory Coast the country of his birth.

Yeah that’s pretty much it. Also the fact that zaha chose to represent a “worse” country so nobody seemed bothered but with Rice it’s being seen as a career move. The rules have changed so unless you’ve represented a county in a competitive match you’re eligible to play for another nation, which Rice has taken advantage of rightly or wrongly. FWIW is have him over dier or Henderson so think it’s a good decision for England but time will tell for him whether it’s good move
  • Options

Thats kind of the point.

I think there was less fuss because  a) neither Zaha nor his parents/grandparents/great grandparents are English so some people didn’t think he should be playing for England anyway and b) Ivory Coast didn’t approach a player that was actually playing for England at the time so would be like Scotland calling up Steven Caulker 

dont get me wrong, he is just as much of a cock as DR and I genuinely don’t understand how you could represent two different countries as your heart wouldn’t be in it for one of them.

Mark Noble is a good example imo, has been sounded out by Ireland and stated its England or nothing for him.
  • Options
    And yet we think it's OK for Joffra Archer to play cricket for England? Played for the West Indies and has a father born in the UK but lived here for just 4 years.

Surely he's less English than Rice? 
  • Options

I'm sensing a rather nasty undertone that some don't want foreigners playing for England.

That's hardly an inclusive or progressive mindset and will only serve to alienate these young people. We should be encouraging them to blossom however they wish and to fully support their life choices by embracing them and welcoming them.

• Options

I'm sensing a rather nasty undertone that some don't want foreigners playing for England.

That's hardly an inclusive or progressive mindset and will only serve to alienate these young people. We should be encouraging them to blossom however they wish and to fully support their life choices by embracing them and welcoming them.

Bbw going fishing. Putting an accusatory/inflammatory post up here and waiting for it to catch fire. 

Just when you'd built up a rep and being accepted on this forum.
  • Options

Tony Cascarino
    Born and bred in st.mary Cray.
    I used to work with high father Dominic .
    He was Italian btw.
    The amount of players born in England over the past 20 years who have opted to play for ROI is staggering. 
    Not that it bothers me because it doesn't. 
    But it's a bit rich for ROI to moan when they lose out to a player born in England 
  • Options

Bbw going fishing. Putting an accusatory/inflammatory post up here and waiting for it to catch fire. 

Just when you'd built up a rep and being accepted on this forum.

Hi @maddferrett, I hope you're well.

If you swap out 'accusatory/inflammatory' for 'tongue in cheek' then you'll not be far wrong.

Apologies if my previous post has harmed my aforementioned 'rep' and I hope that your acceptance levels for me are restored to their former glory forthwith.

• Options

Payback for Clinton Morrison.

Exactly this.  It’s modern football.  It’s not great given he spent so many years training with the Irish team etc and I know it’s different to the Morrison example, but unfortunately, these guys pretty much have the world at their feet at the moment.  Whatever example you look at, be it KAG with us leaving for Huddersfield or Rice here.  These guys have a limited career on the pitch and they want to win as much or be as successful as possible and I think Rice has probably based his decision on this given he thinks he’s as much English as he is Irish.  Might not sit right with some (I’m indifferent), but for me it’s just another example of the power players have these days.

It’s a loss for Ireland as he looks a top player, but in all the years I’ve been watching football, I’ve always admired their team spirit and togetherness.  I think they will bounce back.