Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Change in Occupation/Career ...... new start

Hi not sure if anyone can give me some advice
I've been working in Reprographics/Print for 16yrs on a 4 night shift in London earning 30k, the night shift hours are starting to age me

I don't mind the job but it only pays well on a night shift.
I'm 44 and live nr Rochester, I could do with a change in career and happy to try most things, but need to earn around the same money as I have two boys in university, I would love for a Mon - Fri 9-5ish

Any help or advice welcome

Comments

• Options
    Bus/tube driver.
  • Options
    I don’t have any suggestions, but I changed my career and times of day I work and couldn’t be happier.

good luck. 
  • Options
    Walking into a new career on 30K is difficult, most switching career paths need to drop down a peg or two and work their way abck up. Good luck bud, hope you find something.
  • Options
    Are you an Artworker? Retoucher? etc
  • Options
    I have worked with photoshop a little, but my work is more digital printing
  • Options
    It might sound daft but have you tried other digital printing companies that have opportunities on a day shift, in a managerial capacity?
    Or how about talking to your present employer, and asking if you can go on days on the tools but in a supervisory/managerial capacity, as this will pay more. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't want to lose someone with 16 years experience, so they may be able to accommodate.

Good luck.

• Options
    I changed my career to be a bus driver 6 years ago. I’m now a coach driver. People turn their noses up but the pay isn’t actually too bad. Think my first year on the buses was just over £30k but you do have to work for it. 
  • Options
    Seriously, look at becoming a tube driver. Just looked it up, basic salary £55k a year, £36/h overtime, free travelcard for you and partner, 43 days leave, pension retire at 50.

insane and as a non tube driver, depressing!
  • Options
    Seriously, look at becoming a tube driver. Just looked it up, basic salary £55k a year, £36/h overtime, free travelcard for you and partner, 43 days leave, pension retire at 50.

how do you get into that?
  • Options

Just looked at that as well and it turns out you can’t. You have to work for TFL in some form as they only advertise internally. No tube driver jobs advertised externally since 2008.

what a carve up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    40 tube drivers earned over 80k last year and 9 earned over 100k
  • Options

Just looked at that as well and it turns out you can’t. You have to work for TFL in some form as they only advertise internally. No tube driver jobs advertised externally since 2008.

what a carve up
    Maybe get a job in, for example, the ticket office and then apply internally?
  • Options
    Good for them.
  • Options
    Train manager for LNER starts at 31k, not too shoddy if you like trains. 
  • Options
    Yes, like it's hard work. Fgs....they run on rails....you don't even need to steer  !! ;)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

what a carve up
    Maybe get a job in, for example, the ticket office and then apply internally?
    Ticket office? Boris closed them all! 
  • Options
    No wonder they’re always on strike
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Had a friend who looked into it recently.  For every job they advertise they get thousands of applicants!  They are very strict on health, eyesight, etc. and your age (although I don't think they can officially say that).
  • Options
    Surely it will all be automated in 10 years? If not (probably down to unions), it should be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @markofkent Forget. The. Salary.  

If you switch jobs because in order to take home more money - or the same money for better hours - it won't take very long before you start to regret it.  It will be great at first.  Exhilarating, even. But then you'll soon remember it's only work; you're only doing it for the money; and the money isn't worth the change. 

There are two people I have heard about, you should learn from.  I will tell you about them. 

But first, you should forget work, forget money and forget hours.  Instead, try to think about the one thing you have a passion for.  The one thing that makes you tick.  The thing that you would *really* like to do.  And then find a way of earning money by doing that.  Only by doing what really pulls at your heart will you earn the right amount and work the right hours.  

No-one can tell you what your passion is.  But whatever it is, follow it.  

You might have to invest time in doing that.  For instance by taking a lower salary for a while.  Which will mean living within your means.  It will only be for a short while, but you will enjoy the investment of time you put into your new career, far more than you "enjoy" the hours you're doing now.  Think of it like putting in some graft now, perhaps for a few years, in order to earn yourself the right to walk in to a great job, on a good salary.  

The two people are also doing that.  They'll spend the next few years with very little money, but spending a great deal of time preparing to make a great career for themselves.  I think that's what you should do. 

(I think you know which two people I am referring to).  

Good luck Mark!
  • Options
    No worries, I worked Pre Press Artworking for over 10 years. Kept seeing more and more people getting laid off with the demise of print and digital taking over. So started teaching myself After Effects back in 2013 by watching youtube Videos etc. Im a single parent so was a bit of a gamble. But have been Freelancing for 2 years now. slow start but the last 6 months have been flying.

Learn something new in the same industry whilst your still earning
  • Options

what a carve up
    Yup, or if you know the right people in TFL.
  • Options
    Money is more important than saving life. 
    That is why when tube drivers go on strike they win.
    When fire fighters go on strike they get shafted. 
    When the tube goes on strike it costs the city millions. 
    As for the fire brigade it doesn't cost the city fuck all apart from a few people unlucky enough to be involved in a fire.
    Nothing against tube drivers earning a decent wage good luck to them.
    As for the gready bastards in the city who earn millions. 
    Fcuk em .
  • Options
    No worries, I worked Pre Press Artworking for over 10 years. Kept seeing more and more people getting laid off with the demise of print and digital taking over. So started teaching myself After Effects back in 2013 by watching youtube Videos etc. Im a single parent so was a bit of a gamble. But have been Freelancing for 2 years now. slow start but the last 6 months have been flying.

Being in the same industry myself (an industry which became less well paid due to Adobe and Apple), I’d say this is good advice, if you can access the Adobe software.
  • Options

Agree with this, worked in graphic design/print my whole career but now do more video graphics than any other type of work. There’s a huge market out there for companies wanting video for their social channels.
  • Options
    16 years on 30k?? Wow.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd add my precautionary tale of freelancing with self taught digital media.

I taught myself FCP7 and freelanced through existing family contacts and got work for 2-3 years building up reference content for cheap fee's editing digital video media. I had to work extremely long hours that I couldn't fully charge for, because my learning curve made tasks take much longer than companies will allocate funding for. These family contacts eventually dried up, a couple of my clients closed down completely and I was left competing on the open market for work - and got absolutely nowhere.

You will find yourself competing against other new start-up creatives who will work for cheap/free in order to build up their credit/references. Lots of production companies will deliberately exploit the next batch of 'creatives' and drift from one cheap new start-up to the next. I saw a video once of a school classroom where a whole room of 15yr olds were being taught editing software on new computers. Every year you will be competing against 100's, if not thousands of new young wannabies having to work for cheap/free to build their credits. Everyone and his dog likes to think they're creative in some way, whether writing a blog, editing software, making jewellery in their home study or just taking Photo's, there's a whole ton of people out there dabbling in hobbies that they'd like to earn money from. In my experience, making a successful sustained career from being 'a creative' is really, really hard - you need an element of either luck, or family/friend contacts to succeed.

Teaching yourself software from online video's is possible, but it can be extremely frustrating. It can be done, but I found that tutorial video's whether free on youtube or paid for through sites like Lynda.com never quite match what you're looking at infront of you. I guarantee it will take an absolute age and drive you nuts. Do you have the perseverance to get through that frustration and out the other side?

By the end of my 3 years, the video industry had clearly moved from Apple to Adobe with its never-ending monthly subscriptions. My Laptop was out of date and needed replacing with a stronger processor and in truth, I needed to pay for some lessons on graphic software and after effects. If you decide to re-train in some kind of creative digital media work, be aware that hardware and software will continue to evolve, you will have to keep learning new systems, buying new hardware and competing for work with the next wave of young creatives. In my opinion, Apps like TikTok should also be a warning that the evolution of automated editing software targeted at end users, will eventually devalue creative jobs.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    @markofkent Forget. The. Salary.  

If you switch jobs because in order to take home more money - or the same money for better hours - it won't take very long before you start to regret it.  It will be great at first.  Exhilarating, even. But then you'll soon remember it's only work; you're only doing it for the money; and the money isn't worth the change. 

There are two people I have heard about, you should learn from.  I will tell you about them. 

But first, you should forget work, forget money and forget hours.  Instead, try to think about the one thing you have a passion for.  The one thing that makes you tick.  The thing that you would *really* like to do.  And then find a way of earning money by doing that.  Only by doing what really pulls at your heart will you earn the right amount and work the right hours.  

No-one can tell you what your passion is.  But whatever it is, follow it.  

You might have to invest time in doing that.  For instance by taking a lower salary for a while.  Which will mean living within your means.  It will only be for a short while, but you will enjoy the investment of time you put into your new career, far more than you "enjoy" the hours you're doing now.  Think of it like putting in some graft now, perhaps for a few years, in order to earn yourself the right to walk in to a great job, on a good salary.  

The two people are also doing that.  They'll spend the next few years with very little money, but spending a great deal of time preparing to make a great career for themselves.  I think that's what you should do. 

(I think you know which two people I am referring to).  

Good luck Mark!
    And back in the real world..
    Mark needs to earn a decent wage straight away to pay for his two boys.
    I would suggest any risky adventures take  place after they have left Uni and can look after themselves.
    I can assure you from personal experiences this is very much vested in the real world