Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New VOTV149 - February 2019

13»

Comments

• Options
    You dont become a billionaire without being an astute businessman,he is very successful in his own line of business but has obviously not got the same ability to run football clubs.
    That assumes running businesses is the only route to making money. It’s not.
  • Options
    You dont become a billionaire without being an astute businessman,he is very successful in his own line of business but has obviously not got the same ability to run football clubs.
    And he didn't go it alone until he was 46 so has amassed his fortune in a shorter timescale.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    SE7toSG3 said:
    “Very astute businessman” I want to challenge this as being relevant to his ownership of us, especially given he not using his wealth in anyway to progress us as a club.

He was extremely successful in the micro-chip industry, especially when it came to patents and will be far far richer and successful than I will ever be in my line of work so credit it where it is due there.

By the same token he appears to have failed at running football clubs, writing books, owning TV stations and forming a political party.

Stick to what you do best Roland, the micro-chip world needs your skill set, not us.       
    Exactly - being an astute businessman in one enterprise doesn’t necessarily carry over into another.

if you look at his success story and compare it to his many failures, there seems to be an underlying trend. Microchips are not people. They are things that perform tasks based on instructions ( although based on my laptops performance this morning I’m starting to doubt that). 

Whenever Roland gets into an enterprise that needs real people to buy into what he’s selling (TV, politics, football, etc. ) he’s been a consistent failure. 
  • Options
    He is still a billionaire,by whatever means.
  • Options
    WSS said:a truer 
    He is still a billionaire,by whatever means.
    He's also a massive twat who's destroyed our football club, by whatever means.
    A truer sentence has never been said 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Good read, though. I don't know where else you will find such a detailed, withering, accurate criticism of the Duchatelet regime. Which is kind of worrying, really. 
    Can you find me a Charlton owner, in say the last 40 years, that you couldn't write a detailed, withering, accurate criticism of? I can think of 1 and a half out of about 7.
    To be fair, you could find plenty of redeeming features in the Gliksten era, some in the Hulyer interlude and quite a few under John Fryer. Ditto the Spivs.

Duchatelet is unique in that it is very hard to find anything positive for which he has been responsible in five years.
    Under soil heating pipes. Granted we don't have a boiler to heat them with but as pipes go they are good ones!
  • Options
    He hasn't destroyed the club, but he has run it appallingly.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    He hasn't destroyed the club, but he has run it appallingly.
    Give it another six months. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good read this month (as always of course!) 

Looking forward to seeing this new signing Matt Cullen play ;-) 
  • Options
    Gentlemen,I agree with everything you say about Roland,I hate what our club has become.but lets be honest in the same  way we were thankful in 1984 for the Sunley situation,were we all initially very thankful for Rolands purchase of the club,from the spivs.After the euphoria of the club being saved,within 6 months we were at Selhurst Park ,and amazingly spent 4 years in div.1 prior to our Valley return.RD has his vision of how football clubs should be run,is it a toy to him,but as we all know in our case he is totally misguided,and has underestimated the depth of feeling that Charlton supporters have for their club.For the time being we are stuck with him,difficult as it is we must try and ignore his presence and as we did 35 years ago do our bit to get our Charlton back.
  • Options
    Gentlemen,I agree with everything you say about Roland,I hate what our club has become.but lets be honest in the same  way we were thankful in 1984 for the Sunley situation,were we all initially very thankful for Rolands purchase of the club,from the spivs.After the euphoria of the club being saved,within 6 months we were at Selhurst Park ,and amazingly spent 4 years in div.1 prior to our Valley return.RD has his vision of how football clubs should be run,is it a toy to him,but as we all know in our case he is totally misguided,and has underestimated the depth of feeling that Charlton supporters have for their club.For the time being we are stuck with him,difficult as it is we must try and ignore his presence and as we did 35 years ago do our bit to get our Charlton back.
    The bankruptcy period was short lived but an utterly desperate time for those of us around at the time who were so passionate supporters of the club.

Roland has caused lots of people to loose the passion we once had.

A difficult call but as the board just about saved us in 1984, the club then went on to stronger things. Who can say what the long term results of Roland's tenure will be, it has certainly harmed us in the short term and adversely effected our fan base.
  • Options
    Telly Tubby makes a good point, all the passed problems bought the fans closer to the club. The Roland years are turning us away.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Michael Gliksten was 23 when he took over as Chairman in 1962.

How many 23 year olds on here wouldn't make mistakes running a football club?

I hated Gliksten at the time especially when he sold Bonds and Glover and Hales too just after that 6-2 win over Southampton.

The wisdom of age though tells me that much of that could have happened because of inexperience rather than a callous disregard of the Club.

Duchatelet simply doesn't care as exemplified by his continual absence.

In 23. Reckon I could do better than Duchatelet. Although the bar isn't very high.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Michael Gliksten was 23 when he took over as Chairman in 1962.

How many 23 year olds on here wouldn't make mistakes running a football club?

I hated Gliksten at the time especially when he sold Bonds and Glover and Hales too just after that 6-2 win over Southampton.

The wisdom of age though tells me that much of that could have happened because of inexperience rather than a callous disregard of the Club.

Duchatelet simply doesn't care as exemplified by his continual absence.

In 23. Reckon I could do better than Duchatelet. Although the bar isn't very high.
    I think that's most of the point summed up, my cat could do a better job of "running the club" than Roland and the clowns he has entrusted.  Unfortunately she couldn't afford to pay the bills. 
  • Options
    Telly Tubby makes a good point, all the passed problems bought the fans closer to the club. The Roland years are turning us away.
    We lost fans and their kids supported other teams in the mid 70's because of the lack of ambition.

The Fryer years were a shocking 7 year wilderness despite the team being decent and a few years in top division.

As a Person, Duchatelet is worse, and he could leave us in our lowest position.

I just feel uncomfortable when  rose coloured glasses start looking back at our post 60's history. (Except Murray part 1)

Duchatelet is here and now and must become history ASAP.