Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton | Sat 02 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    The referee for tomorrow also ref'd our game at Blackpool with an average mark of 5.63
  • Options

The referee for tomorrow also ref'd our game at Blackpool with an average mark of 5.63

I was at that match and he was poor.
  • Options
    It’s cold in Blackpool but I’d be amazed if there was a problem with the pitch at Fleetwood

Was quite impressed with how well the roads in London were gritted, as my area had a decent clump of snow
  • Options
    parker and hackett fairchild start up front and a new dream team is formed. a goal each in a 2 1 win
  • Options
    seeing the covers and looking at the BBC forecast it looks like it is certain to be on.
  • Options
    Portsmouth home game now live on TV, Hooray.

Kicks off at 5:30pm Boo.
  • Options
    Can't see us winning can't see us losing, draw. If I was Bowyer I would just overload the midfield, don't have the players for 2 up top, make sure Reeves and Williams are further up the pitch, have to play Fosu as he is our only player alongside Williams that has any flair. I don't think Parker will be on the bench, he is fit and ready to go. My team would be 451/4231

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik Cullen
    Williams Fosu Reeves
    Parker

• Options
    What a difference a week makes. Feel very sorry for Bowyer in being dealt the hand he has been. Fleetwood look quite impressive in recent games so not really a match to go without any recognised first team forwards. Huff and puff but Fleetwood will blow us down 1-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can't see us winning can't see us losing, draw. If I was Bowyer I would just overload the midfield, don't have the players for 2 up top, make sure Reeves and Williams are further up the pitch, have to play Fosu as he is our only player alongside Williams that has any flair. I don't think Parker will be on the bench, he is fit and ready to go. My team would be 451/4231

Phillips
    Bielik Cullen
    Williams Fosu Reeves
    Parker

I like it, and think it could work but I don't know if Bows will go for only one up front again.

I'd also think it would work better with Fosu out on the left, Reeves on the right and Williams in behind Parker.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Fleetwod usually play a 4-3-3 with Ched Evans up front on his own, but importantly it is the use of their midfield that we must get a grip on. Jed Wallace plays in the central role of midfield where he, and his fellow midfielders, will try to run from deep to get up and support Evans. Bielik and Cullen have an important job to do here to stop this from happening and to track their runners. Interestingly, the vast majority of Fleetwood's attacks are down their right hand side, specifically due to their usual right back Lewis Coyle who is on loan from Leeds serving the last of his three match suspension, Wes Burns, who isn't a right back but instead is naturally an attacking player able to play across the front three, has been playing at right back for the last couple of games. This would indicate that Purrington will need to carry on his solid start at left back but could also require a bit of help if we were to get overloaded down that side. One side note I would like to add is that Fleetwood's goalkeeper is only just 6ft which is a little small, it would be interesting to see us use our height in Bauer, Sarr, and Bielik to our advantage for a change. However, in his last 98 games for Fleetwood, he has kept 40 clean sheets which is a very good record, so it proves scoring against these lot could be a challenge for us.

Their form over their last 12 league games have included 5 clean sheets, three of them coming at home, the others was away at Shrewsbury on New Year's Day in a 0-0 draw, and a 3-0 win at bottom of the league Wimbledon in midweek, just over a week or so ago. In those last 12 games, they've picked up 15 points, 4 wins, 3 draws, and 5 defeats. However, although two of those five defeats have been at home, it wasn't until Fleetwood were 2-1 up and reduced to 10 men against at the time league leaders Portsmouth to eventually go on to lose 5-2; they also lost 1-0 at home to Scunthorpe last weekend, a Scunthorpe side that have won 5 and drawn 1 of their last 6. Overall, it would seem that Fleetwood are a typical mid-table side where their home form and away form aren't too good. They're averaging 1.3 points per game which would equal to 60 points across the season and in 15 league games at home, Fleetwood have only picked up 23 points, around 1.5 points per game. It would however be foolish to think that they're a side who we should roll over. Fleetwood have only conceded 34 goals this season, 3 more than us, and the 7th best in the league.

Regarding us, personnel wise is a little more difficult now we have let both Grant and Clarke go whilst only managing to bring in Josh Parker. We will of course have our midfielders such as Aribo back soon to add to the squad which can help us going into the last part of the season. With Fleetwood playing a 4-3-3, and us having both Taylor out and Grant gone to Huddersfield, it wouldn't surprise me to see us change it up a little bit and made go like for like in the formation. However, we have seen how effective we are with two up front and we know that Bowyer feels the same too and without having many natural wingers on the books, a diamond could be the way forward that Bowyer still believes to be our strongest system.

Having learnt the news that Vetokele will be on the bench, I am concerned that the lack of strikers we now have at the club is meaning we are pushing him to be back a little sooner than he ought to be. Igor also only played his first 45 minutes on Tuesday since 6th November last year, where he only played around 30 minutes or so that night. For me, Igor isn't ready but our hand is being forced on this one. No doubt he is not far away, but I believe a good two more weeks of physical training with the team, as well as being involved in one further U23 game would be what the club would have wanted, but without that loan signing, it seems that he will be travelling.

It is going to be tough game as without Taylor due to still being suspended, and no more of Grant, that formidable strike force that we no longer have could be the difference between where we finish this season. I hope that Parker gets off to a positive and successful start, and we really need the midfielders now to start chipping in with some goals. Reeves last week admitted it and we also need Fosu to get going.

Phillips
    Bielik
    Reeves Cullen
    Williams
    Hackett-Fairchild Parker

Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pratley, Lapslie, Marshall, Fosu, Vetokele

Fleetwood Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic
    Sarr
    Always enjoy reading your addition comments on the Preview @Sage...

Appreciate you taking on my mistake of the week this time round to make me feel a bit better though... Is Ross Wallace @ Fleetwood (Completely forgotten about him, he's surely far too good for League One himself?) - Unfortunately Jed Wallace is at that other South East London club
  • Options
    Love the forecast Sage, but I think Vetokele maybe fitter than we think as like Cullen he would have been able to stay fit. I thought he would start, but as Bows says he will start on the bench I think your team will start. A weak forward line so as is often the case, our midfield will all have to be on their game.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Love the forecast Sage, but I think Vetokele maybe fitter than we think as like Cullen he would have been able to stay fit. I thought he would start, but as Bows says he will start on the bench I think your team will start. A weak forward line so as is often the case, our midfield will all have to be on their game.

Only concern is that Cullen seemed to be running a few weeks and then came straight back into the First-Team

Igor on the other hand only managed 45-mins the other day, although that wont have been helped by the fact he didnt get to have a pre-season
  • Options

Sage said:

Fleetwod usually play a 4-3-3 with Ched Evans up front on his own, but importantly it is the use of their midfield that we must get a grip on. Jed Wallace plays in the central role of midfield where he, and his fellow midfielders, will try to run from deep to get up and support Evans. Bielik and Cullen have an important job to do here to stop this from happening and to track their runners. Interestingly, the vast majority of Fleetwood's attacks are down their right hand side, specifically due to their usual right back Lewis Coyle who is on loan from Leeds serving the last of his three match suspension, Wes Burns, who isn't a right back but instead is naturally an attacking player able to play across the front three, has been playing at right back for the last couple of games. This would indicate that Purrington will need to carry on his solid start at left back but could also require a bit of help if we were to get overloaded down that side. One side note I would like to add is that Fleetwood's goalkeeper is only just 6ft which is a little small, it would be interesting to see us use our height in Bauer, Sarr, and Bielik to our advantage for a change. However, in his last 98 games for Fleetwood, he has kept 40 clean sheets which is a very good record, so it proves scoring against these lot could be a challenge for us.

Their form over their last 12 league games have included 5 clean sheets, three of them coming at home, the others was away at Shrewsbury on New Year's Day in a 0-0 draw, and a 3-0 win at bottom of the league Wimbledon in midweek, just over a week or so ago. In those last 12 games, they've picked up 15 points, 4 wins, 3 draws, and 5 defeats. However, although two of those five defeats have been at home, it wasn't until Fleetwood were 2-1 up and reduced to 10 men against at the time league leaders Portsmouth to eventually go on to lose 5-2; they also lost 1-0 at home to Scunthorpe last weekend, a Scunthorpe side that have won 5 and drawn 1 of their last 6. Overall, it would seem that Fleetwood are a typical mid-table side where their home form and away form aren't too good. They're averaging 1.3 points per game which would equal to 60 points across the season and in 15 league games at home, Fleetwood have only picked up 23 points, around 1.5 points per game. It would however be foolish to think that they're a side who we should roll over. Fleetwood have only conceded 34 goals this season, 3 more than us, and the 7th best in the league.

Regarding us, personnel wise is a little more difficult now we have let both Grant and Clarke go whilst only managing to bring in Josh Parker. We will of course have our midfielders such as Aribo back soon to add to the squad which can help us going into the last part of the season. With Fleetwood playing a 4-3-3, and us having both Taylor out and Grant gone to Huddersfield, it wouldn't surprise me to see us change it up a little bit and made go like for like in the formation. However, we have seen how effective we are with two up front and we know that Bowyer feels the same too and without having many natural wingers on the books, a diamond could be the way forward that Bowyer still believes to be our strongest system.

Having learnt the news that Vetokele will be on the bench, I am concerned that the lack of strikers we now have at the club is meaning we are pushing him to be back a little sooner than he ought to be. Igor also only played his first 45 minutes on Tuesday since 6th November last year, where he only played around 30 minutes or so that night. For me, Igor isn't ready but our hand is being forced on this one. No doubt he is not far away, but I believe a good two more weeks of physical training with the team, as well as being involved in one further U23 game would be what the club would have wanted, but without that loan signing, it seems that he will be travelling.

It is going to be tough game as without Taylor due to still being suspended, and no more of Grant, that formidable strike force that we no longer have could be the difference between where we finish this season. I hope that Parker gets off to a positive and successful start, and we really need the midfielders now to start chipping in with some goals. Reeves last week admitted it and we also need Fosu to get going.

Phillips
    Bielik
    Reeves Cullen
    Williams
    Hackett-Fairchild Parker

Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pratley, Lapslie, Marshall, Fosu, Vetokele

Fleetwood Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic
    Sarr
    Always enjoy reading your addition comments on the Preview @Sage...

Appreciate you taking on my mistake of the week this time round to make me feel a bit better though... Is Ross Wallace @ Fleetwood (Completely forgotten about him, he's surely far too good for League One himself?) - Unfortunately Jed Wallace is at that other South East London club
    You are exactly right, my mistake. It is because Fleetwood have two Wallace's. One of course is Ross, who is far too good for this league, the other is James Wallace. I got myself confused momentarily.

It is now amended.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Only concern is that Cullen seemed to be running a few weeks and then came straight back into the First-Team

Igor on the other hand only managed 45-mins the other day, although that wont have been helped by the fact he didnt get to have a pre-season
    Not sure if he “only managed” or was only risked for. But Bows did say a mini pre season was needed so make you right.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Bielik Cullen
    Williams Fosu Reeves
    Parker

I like it, and think it could work but I don't know if Bows will go for only one up front again.

I'd also think it would work better with Fosu out on the left, Reeves on the right and Williams in behind Parker.
    Only reason I have Fosu down the middle is cause I find when he plays out wide he doesn't do enough to help defensively and he runs into dead ends, Reeves is a lot more intelligent in a defensive mindset and will protect Purrington better. Plus he is left footed so there's always that.

I thought against Peterborough we just didn't have enough quality in the midfield, for a side like Fleetwood (no offense Fleetwood) we shouldn't be playing Pratley, Bielik and Cullen. All 3 don't work together and one needs to be dropped for Fosu to give us that extra bit of quality from the off, not with tens mins to go. I like your prediction though and think Bowyer is more likely to stick with 2 up top
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Bowyer explained that Cullen was a natural fit person and with just running in training he would be fitter than most. As for Igor's fitness......?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Redrobo said:

Bowyer explained that Cullen was a natural fit person and with just running in training he would be fitter than most. As for Igor's fitness......?
    The only fitness Igor has is his old woman.
  • Options

ross1 said:

Redrobo said:

The only fitness Igor has is his old woman.
    To be honest cant blame him for being "injured" for that reason
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we have the midfield to beat most teams in this league just not sure where the goals are gonna come from
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Thanks Redrobo. - regarding Vetokele though, I don’t think he is as fit as we would like. His injury was worse than Cullen’s and wasn’t able to run or be on the bike the same way Cullen was so soon.
  • Options
    0 - 2 to the addicks. reeves and parker on the scoresheet.
  • Options

Sage said:

Phillips
    Bielik Cullen
    Williams Fosu Reeves
    Parker

Only reason I have Fosu down the middle is cause I find when he plays out wide he doesn't do enough to help defensively and he runs into dead ends, Reeves is a lot more intelligent in a defensive mindset and will protect Purrington better. Plus he is left footed so there's always that.

I thought against Peterborough we just didn't have enough quality in the midfield, for a side like Fleetwood (no offense Fleetwood) we shouldn't be playing Pratley, Bielik and Cullen. All 3 don't work together and one needs to be dropped for Fosu to give us that extra bit of quality from the off, not with tens mins to go. I like your prediction though and think Bowyer is more likely to stick with 2 up top
    More than justified. I do agree too with the defensive duties as Reeves is far better than Fosu for that. I would only put Fosu out on the left because he is more effective there than he seems to be centrally. Williams is also very clever and can find the passes much better when behind the front two, and I know for sure that Reeves prefers the right side more than the left. But overall, I do agree and can see your point too.

Would love to see Fosu play more and given the chance to have an impact on the game. You’re right that Pratley, Cullen and Bielik doesn’t work as a three, I don’t think we will see that again.
  • Options
    I would play Fosu in a free role. I remember someone saying they did not think Kanu knew what he was doing next, and I think that applies to Fosu and explains in some way why he does not track back. I also think it is why Fosu played so well for Robinson last year because he was in that free role.

I am not sure that Bows would ever except this as it would just not compute.
  • Options
    Great fish & chips to be had, a day at the seaside and a 2-0 Addicks away win..alez alez aleez
  • Options

Comfortable away win 4-0.

Over the years you have always comfortable home 4-0 if we are at home or comfortable away 4-0 if we are away. I would be interested to know how you would word it if we ever played at Wembley or another nuetral venue. Because both teams are not at home and both teams are away?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    The drama will start at 2pm with the announcement of the team: it is revealed that, in response to our striker crisis, Jason Euell has been secretly re-registered as a player and is on the bench.

After a slow and dull first half Josh Parker has to be replaced on the hour mark after suffering a season-ending injury. Euell comes on to lead the line and, with the game still scoreless going into injury time, he somehow breaks clear of the Fleetwood defence to slot the ball past the 'keeper for the winner. Think back to his goal at Highbury ... but at about a third of the speed.

Lord Bowyer and Jackson then go mental on the sidelines with Jacko going on a celebratory run down the touchline (proving his legs haven't gone). Unfortunately that upsets the Fleetwood staff so much that Barton takes out Jacko with a sliding, knee high challenge; Jackson's legs have now finally gone for good.

Possibly.

Or maybe this line-up:

Phillips

Solly BeckenBauer BeckenSarr Cat

Bielik

Reeves Cullen Fossy

Willo

Parker

Subs: Maxwell, Iron Willy, Pratley, Georgeous George, Marshall, RHF, The Force

A dour 0-0 draw awaits, leaving us to wonder just where our goals are going to come from without Lyle, and what had we done in a previous life that was so bad that we've been punished in this one by having TwoShats as an owner.

Positives to come from the game: another clean sheet for Dillon, the back line looking rock-solid, one match closer to getting Taylor back.
  • Options
    Comfortable neutral venue? :wink:
  • Options

Comfortable away win 4-0.

Over the years you have always comfortable home 4-0 if we are at home or comfortable away 4-0 if we are away. I would be interested to know how you would word it if we ever played at Wembley or another nuetral venue. Because both teams are not at home and both teams are away?
    If Happy Valley is human, he might post "Comfortable 4-0 win at a neutral venue."

But if Happy Valley is simply a robotic forecasting program, it might post "404" unless programmed for that eventuality.