Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grant is no Penalty taker

13»

Comments

• Options

I’m not one to get on players backs but I’m waiting for him to take the pen and I’ve no confidence in him whatsoever. My 8yr then says ‘I really don’t think he’ll score this’. Sadly we both turned out correct.

All pens that go in are good pens and all that don’t score are questionable. But I’ve never had any confidence at all in any of the ones he’s taken. Some players just don’t give off that aura, but specifically with Grant, instinctively he’s great but in general play the longer he has to think about a chance the more likely you feel that he won’t score.

Exactly.
    Couldn't agree more
  • Options
    I doubt the ball would have crossed the line it was hit so tamely.
  • Options

I’m not one to get on players backs but I’m waiting for him to take the pen and I’ve no confidence in him whatsoever. My 8yr then says ‘I really don’t think he’ll score this’. Sadly we both turned out correct.

All pens that go in are good pens and all that don’t score are questionable. But I’ve never had any confidence at all in any of the ones he’s taken. Some players just don’t give off that aura, but specifically with Grant, instinctively he’s great but in general play the longer he has to think about a chance the more likely you feel that he won’t score.

Sycophant
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

I doubt the ball would have crossed the line it was hit so tamely.

It is like the little chip down the middle. You take that sort of pen when you have the ability to wait for the keeper to make their move the split second before you act. Great season that he is having, a player like Grant should pick his spot and wack it in there. I have to be honest and say I am pissed off with him a little, and the reason I think I am, is that I expected him to do some nonsense like that when we got the penalty!
  • Options
    I find it funny that very few people were posting about how poor Grant's penalty technique was last weekend?
  • Options

I find it funny that very few people were posting about how poor Grant's penalty technique was last weekend?

This was a shit pen though and last week's one wasn't. People are therefore using the lesser penalty to ease the pain of him leaving this window.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

This was a shit pen though and last week's one wasn't. People are therefore using the lesser penalty to ease the pain of him leaving this window.
    Exactly. Last week not many were publicly saying "he's no penalty taker".
  • Options
    “Karlan Grant , wow , I am one of his biggest doubters and I really didn’t fancy him to score that pen after the two previous not so convincing efforts but he struck that so cleanly under that amount of pressure , it was brilliant.“

My quote from last week .

Why would he not try and ping it like that again .
    Still I believe, of the two, last weeks was more important for us psychologically but shame for him if he leaves on that note but who knows .
  • Options

The best pen taker we've had in recent history was Yoni Buyens.

Can we get him back on loan?

We get awarded a lot of penalties because of our style of play - and we're missing too many. :smile:

• Options

..... but specifically with Grant, instinctively he’s great but in general play the longer he has to think about a chance the more likely you feel that he won’t score.

Kevin Lisbie syndrome.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

He won’t have a season total of 10 or more above league one
    Of course he might score 1 a season for the next ten years up there

He's only 21 though.

As we've seen this season alongside Taylor, in the right combination he could do very well.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Holmes was 30 and his best years were behind him.
    Grant is 21 and after playing 1st team football on and off since he was 17 he is now looking decent in League 1 and because he has pace, and is scoring goals Huddersfield want him for the Championship in 19/20 season, after giving him a few run outs for the rest of their premier campaign where he is unlikely to get a kick because Huddersfield are useless.

January 31st or Parker day is a renown depressing day for Cafc fans.
  • Options

Let's not forget O'Malley has a pretty decent record at savings pens this season!

But the irony if we'd won there with a pen after the fiasco at our place.
  • Options

Karlan needs to stay after training for practice

Looks like he's departing in Nicky Bailey fashion.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Karlan needs to stay after training for practice

Looks like he's departing in Nicky Bailey fashion.
    The only difference ...... the ball is still up in orbit from Nicky Bailey's penalty.

• Options
    I thought Laurie Madden's penalty was bad but that penalty was like a pass back.