Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wimbledon (the tennis) queue/resale etc

I know this is a bit far in advance, but thinking about days off before others in our office get in first (summer can be booked up by end of Jan/Feb).

Anyone queued for Wimbledon tickets before? Or used the resale for the show courts? Did you have much luck? How long are queues, what time did you arrive and for which day etc?

Thinking of going this year but didn't try the ballot etc (should have!).

Would actually go to the effort of camping out etc for show courts tickets but might be a bit expensive for me and a friend I may be going with at £100+ each, so possibly looking at early hours for ground tickets and then the resale queue but want to know if it's likely to be a day queuing without actually seeing much!

Advice on the best days/busiest days etc welcome too!

Comments

• I genuinely thought this was going to be a thread about spares for AFC Wimbledon away next month.
  • edited January 2019
    A bit disappointed this isn’t about the AFC away game.

Edit: @BR7_addick beat me to it
  • Edited - didn't even think of that!
  • I have queued overnight and got Centre Court and Court 1 tickets.
    The queue is fun and I would do it again.
    I know people who've gone late afternoon and got the tickets of those who left early. They got good courts.
    So I'd say do either.
  • iainment said:

I have queued overnight and got Centre Court and Court 1 tickets.
    I know people who've gone late afternoon and got the tickets of those who left early. They got good courts.
    So I'd say do either.

What time did you start camping, and which week etc?
  • edited January 2019
    We got there about 8am and got NO 2 court tickets. I think there were only a few left.
    If you want Centre or No 1 you probably need to camp overnight or drive there and get in the queue by about 5am.
    If you're camping overnight you may as well get in the queue early and maybe take turns to go for a wander.
    But it's all guesswork.
  • iainment said:

I have queued overnight and got Centre Court and Court 1 tickets.
    So I'd say do either.

What time did you start camping, and which week etc?
    The previous night. Maybe about 8pm but this was a while ago. You might need to be earlier now.
  • I know this is a bit far in advance, but thinking about days off before others in our office get in first (summer can be booked up by end of Jan/Feb).

Anyone queued for Wimbledon tickets before? Or used the resale for the show courts? Did you have much luck? How long are queues, what time did you arrive and for which day etc?

Would actually go to the effort of camping out etc for show courts tickets but might be a bit expensive for me and a friend I may be going with at £100+ each, so possibly looking at early hours for ground tickets and then the resale queue but want to know if it's likely to be a day queuing without actually seeing much!

I've got a little part time job there so take this as inside information!

500 tickets are kept back for centre court, number 1 court and number 2 Court for the first 10 days of the tournament. You'll really need to queue overnight to get one of those.

Otherwise you can buy a ground pass on the day. Get there early - before the first tube gets in - and you will almost certainly get one. Get there about 6 or 7 and you should be OK.

If you get a ground pass, once you are in you can queue again at the ticket resale office on Henman Hill for a ticket for centre court. (As people go home, their centre court tickets are scanned and resold for charity) You may have to wait some time but there's a good chance you can get on Centre Court for a few hours at the end of the day. In fact, when I was working one day last year I saw the first ticket sold at 3.30pm.

Give it a go! It's a great day out and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • I know this is a bit far in advance, but thinking about days off before others in our office get in first (summer can be booked up by end of Jan/Feb).

500 tickets are kept back for centre court, number 1 court and number 2 Court for the first 10 days of the tournament. You'll really need to queue overnight to get one of those.

Otherwise you can buy a ground pass on the day. Get there early - before the first tube gets in - and you will almost certainly get one. Get there about 6 or 7 and you should be OK.

If you get a ground pass, once you are in you can queue again at the ticket resale office on Henman Hill for a ticket for centre court. (As people go home, their centre court tickets are scanned and resold for charity) You may have to wait some time but there's a good chance you can get on Centre Court for a few hours at the end of the day. In fact, when I was working one day last year I saw the first ticket sold at 3.30pm.

The part time job isn't on the back gate is it?!

Think we might look at camping but in the first week in the hope of show court tickets but while they are £60-70 not £120-140. Seems less queuing etc then next morning too and not the end of the world sleeping in a tent for a night in summer! Probably nicer than getting up at 4am then trying to get in without public transport.

The ground tickets and resale look tempting because of the price though!
  • We have been every year from 2013 but did not go last year. We have always gone first week as you will get to see some good players on the outside court. We normally get there before the car park on the golf course opens around 6am . From there it’s a good 10 to 20 minutes to get to the back of the queue. Normally we have been in the 3000 S in the queue as you will get a number. We have managed to get resale tickets inside on several occasions. Been on centre once and number 1 court several times . The queue can be pretty good fun . If you want to go on the show courts need you need to camp overnight
  • Sponsored links:

The part time job isn't on the back gate is it?!

Think we might look at camping but in the first week in the hope of show court tickets but while they are £60-70 not £120-140. Seems less queuing etc then next morning too and not the end of the world sleeping in a tent for a night in summer! Probably nicer than getting up at 4am then trying to get in without public transport.

The ground tickets and resale look tempting because of the price though!
    Sadly no!

You better check the price of tickets. Centre court tickets start at £66 on day one this year and get progressively more expensive. So you won't find many in the £60-£70 range.

The overnight queue is fun. I'm told it's a good place to make friends!

The ground tickets and resale option is tempting - if i remember right £25 and £10 respectively last year - but you can spend a lot of time queuing. In fact, quite a few people who want to do this option go straight to the resale queue when they get in. Guess it depends how keen you are to get on a show court or just watch tennis.
  • Think I saw last year's prices £60 first 2 days, £75 next 2 I think. Will have to seek out this year's!

Cheers for the advice!

Oh, meant to ask - can you see the big screen from the resale queue?
  • edited January 2019

Think I saw last year's prices £60 first 2 days, £75 next 2 I think. Will have to seek out this year's!

Cheers for the advice!

Oh, meant to ask - can you see the big screen from the resale queue?

Unfortunately no, particularly if you are near the back of the queue

As you get nearer the front, you might see it at an angle but it wouldn't be a great view.

You can see this years prices here.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/atoz/tickets_and_ticket_prices.html
  • What does one do with their tent if they get in, what what ?
  • What does one do with their tent if they get in, what what ?

Left luggage I think. Wimbledon equivalent of a cloakroom.

I do wonder how many buy those pop up tents especially for it then can't put them down again.