Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"How a deluge of money nearly broke the Premier League"

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/17/how-a-deluge-of-money-nearly-broke-the-premier-league

Very good and very troubling article if you worry about the future of English football.

Excerpt from a new book, apparently.

Comments

• Brilliant article.
  • And on the same day, a second senior TV exec turns down the FAPL CEO role

(FT story, paywall)
  • Good riddance to them. We’ll welcome the rest of the premiership back into the Football League and have Leagues 1-4.

EFL won’t get as much money as the premiership but more than they do now and can even the money out a bit more.

Better all round for football in this country.
  • Next year Arsenal will still be same as last year like Spurs ,Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, boring as boring could possibly be with their sense of entitlement and lack of memory that the rest of us have. I for one remember Man U getting relegated, Chelsea in the second division making the numbers up, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool having some lean years.
    I suppose they don’t want to see a time where there might be a future where they are not top dogs anymore and are again trying to carve the pot up to ensure they don’t end up kicking around with a club that comes up from the league below that gives them a good game and a hard season.
    I’d love them to form a European Super league leaving the rest of us to have competition.
  • Feck the lot of them...best league in this country is the Championship..(second division)...Hands down.
  • The premier league is doing all right, jack. It's the rest of football that's broke.
  • Premier League in 1992-2000ish, we need more money for English football, TV is the way to go, let’s keep a ladder there for Jack to climb up and climb down.

Premier League 2000ish - 2016//2017 we know we aren’t really helping anyone other than ourselves but let’s keep the ladder there anyway even if we are screwing everyone else over to our benefit.

Latest, pull up the ladder Jack.
  • Missed It said:

The premier league is doing all right, jack. It's the rest of football that's broke.

I think most of the money that goes into the premier league goes out again in an instant for most clubs. When a club is relegated after some years it is pretty clear they have saved nothing for the rainy day. I think we are proof of that.
  • Would love the premier league to go tits up.
    Perhaps then people may not wet their pants every time Sky announce a Super Sky Soccer Sunday (or whatever shit it is they spin).

https://m.youtube.com/tip?v=VF_uOgyBK1c