Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accepting my first professional Internship/Job. Advice Needed

Hi all you lifers! I'm seeking some advice from you wonderful minds. As of this afternoon, I have been offered a high profile internship with Cedar Point amusement park for the summer (voted 2nd best amusement park in the world). I have been working hard for months to try and land this position but over the last couple of weeks, ive started to have some doubts. The hours would be long and I'd only have one day off per week. I fear I may miss home and will not have free time to enjoy any of my summer as I would be able to if I got an internship in Wisconsin. I'm hoping to make a decision by Friday.

Anyone had similar fears or reservations about accepting a job? How'd you get through it?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    EastStand said:

They way I see it you’re giving up 1 summer (from your user name I assume you’re young enough to have plenty summers left to enjoy!) for money and work experience. Both lovely things.

Plus you’ll meet loads of new people, get to live away from home and I assume get to enjoy the facilities for free.

Where do I sign up mate? :joy:

Free admission to all the parks in their chain so the perks are smashing!
  • Options
    Go for it, International working experience looks great on a CV, plus Yanks just love an English accent so you will make loads of friends, nudge nudge wink wink :wink:
  • Options
    You can always come home if you don’t like it but you need to go first to decide.

Do it, I’m sure you will love it.
  • Options
    People often get nervous about new jobs, it's natural.

Think back to similar events like going to Uni? Do you get "cold feet" then too?

If it helps make two lists.

One with all the positives and alongside that the negatives.

Then read them through.
  • Options
    Will look great on your CV for many years to come.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Go for it, International working experience looks great on a CV, plus Yanks just love an English accent so you will make loads of friends, nudge nudge wink wink :wink:

I'd have to do the fake British accent mate (which I'm quite good at) ;) I'm a yank myself
    Just to clarify do you live in the UK at the moment?
  • Options
    No I'm an American living in the U.S.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I spent a couple of summers in USA working for Camp America.

The first one in the middle of nowhere in Texas, I had 24 hours off a week, which was from 10am one morning to 10am the next so not actually one full day if you get what I mean. At the end of 6 weeks I think they paid me something like £200! Tbf they also paid my travel each way and full board whilst working. I loved it though. Met some great people and had a completely different experience.

Plus it set me up the next yr with experience to go somewhere where I worked between 3-5 days a week in Malibu for 6 weeks for more like £1K plus travel/board etc.

Go for it.
  • Options
    Do you own a gun? Just curious...
  • Options
    It's got to be better than stuck 9-5 in an office.

If you've been working hard for months to try and land this position, there's something inside you that really wants it. Give yourself the chance to be truly you.

Just do it and see where it leads you.

• Options
    Rossman92 said:

"I'd have to do the fake British accent mate (which I'm quite good at) ;) I'm a yank myself"

Ahhhh ok, still look good on your CV :)
  • Options
    Is this one of those ‘accommodation and food is provided on the days you work but on your day off you have to get your own accommodation elsewhere’ type of jobs ?
  • Options

Is this one of those ‘accommodation and food is provided on the days you work but on your day off you have to get your own accommodation elsewhere’ type of jobs ?

Housing is provided throughout for an affordable rate. Food on days I work and then on my off day it is not
  • Options
    What would you do with your free time? Probly go to an amusement park.

It sounds fantastic - jump straight in. In two weeks you'll wonder why you ever had doubts. Good luck!
  • Options
    Get off your arse and do some bloody work.😉
  • Options
    Go for it @rossman92 - sounds right up your street!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whats your connection to Charlton?
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

Whats your connection to Charlton?

Famous American actor :wink: .
  • Options
    Good luck mate.

You say internship. Are you being paid?
  • Options

Good luck mate.

You say internship. Are you being paid?

It is paid yes
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Three words: go for it! Sounds like a chance to make some incredible life long memories.

Also how do I get a friends and family discount? :-)
  • Options

Three words: go for it! Sounds like a chance to make some incredible life long memories.

Also how do I get a friends and family discount? :-)

Walk up to the turnstile, woo the girl with some british charm and she'll probabaly let you right in haha
  • Options
    Excellent advice from Bob up there. Realistic worse case scenario is the job isn't all it's cracked up to be, you miss home, and the pay doesn't really seem like it's anywhere near enough for the hours that you end up doing. Which is not good, but it is only temporary, we've got texting, email, social media and skype so it's a lot easier to keep in touch with people back home than it was 20 years ago, and you'll still end up with some great experience to go on your CV. And on the other hand it may turn out to be massively fun despite the long hours, and be the absolute making of you. You've worked really hard to get the offer, and they obviously think you're worth it, so go for it!