Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old South Terrace.

Comments

• Options
    I said ‘wouldnt’ when I should have saiid ‘shouldnt’.

I’ll have a listen on my pc tomorrow.

On my phone that bit of commentary does ever so slightly different, but phone speaker isn’t great.
  • Options
    My great Nan worked at the Valley in the 30’s and late 40’s. I’m sure she said at the time that the east Terrace held 40,000 officially and the South 20,000 and the Covered End 10,000. Like many have already mentioned the record attendance was said to be totally understated.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    In the late 50's when as a nipper, Dad used to take me in the Covered End left hand corner towards the East terrace so that I could stand up on the perimeter wall and hang on to the railings. In fact I made my first television appearance there in a match v Plymouth Argyle :sunglasses: . However I digress; for some reason we came in via the Lansdowne Mews entrance v Derby County in the 59/60 season which we won 6-1 and that is my only recollection of watching from the old South Terrace, great view from the top.
  • Options

Found a photo.

1976...26,000+ (must of been 10,000 Pompey)....ends 1-1 and we go onto win the replay 3-0 (32,000). Onto the 5th rd and that John Richards hatrick when we took 5,000+ up to Wolverhampton.
  • Options

Found a photo.

1976...26,000+ (must of been 10,000 Pompey)....ends 1-1 and we go onto win the replay 3-0 (32,000). Onto the 5th rd and that John Richards hatrick when we took 5,000+ up to Wolverhampton.
    Great memories - we made a terrific noise at Wolves ... such a pity that 'super-sub' Richards came on.
  • Options
    Are there still any "ghost terraces" at the Valley. I'm pretty sure when we went back in 92 there were still traces of the old south terrace around the edges of the Jimmy Seed - I'd assume they've all been lost now?

Likewise, is the ghost of the East Terrace still underneath the East Stand? I know the top part above the rear walkway is now covered with earth / grass etc but I'd imagine the majority of the concrete steps below that are still there (the cost of removing them would have been enormous). There must also be access to the void beneath the stand somewhere... would love to see it.
  • Options

Are there still any "ghost terraces" at the Valley. I'm pretty sure when we went back in 92 there were still traces of the old south terrace around the edges of the Jimmy Seed - I'd assume they've all been lost now?

Likewise, is the ghost of the East Terrace still underneath the East Stand? I know the top part above the rear walkway is now covered with earth / grass etc but I'd imagine the majority of the concrete steps below that are still there (the cost of removing them would have been enormous). There must also be access to the void beneath the stand somewhere... would love to see it.

South Terrace ghost is still there.
  • Options

Found a photo.

Proper footballer, wearing proper kit and real football boots.
    I remember that day well, a lot of the Pompey supporters were still arriving at halftime, thousands of them. They had good support back then as they do today but I suppose they would as a one club city.
  • Options

Found a photo.

Players in the pic are Flanagan, George Hope, and Mark Penfold. The 5 (being fouled by George Graham?) looks like Goldthorpe or Jimmy Giles - I'm not sure who it is?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

Found a photo.

Players in the pic are Flanagan, George Hope, and Mark Penfold. The 5 (being fouled by George Graham?) looks like Goldthorpe or Jimmy Giles - I'm not sure who it is?
    And looks like Pompey's Paul Went (ex-Charlton) pushing Flanagan in the back?

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Found a photo.

Great memories - we made a terrific noise at Wolves ... such a pity that 'super-sub' Richards came on.
    Great day (apart from the result). Up by train (football special I seem to recall) and then consumed copious amounts of Mitchells and Butlers in Wolverhampton.

• Options

Here you go @Ashers

In the pic in the above post the main stand goes to the bottom without the terrace bit in this pic .

is the pic with Sam in it a different ground or does anyone know when the terrace bit became fully seated on the west side
  • Options

Here you go @Ashers

In the pic in the above post the main stand goes to the bottom without the terrace bit in this pic .

is the pic with Sam in it a different ground or does anyone know when the terrace bit became fully seated on the west side
    According to Airman on page 2 mate 1950.
  • Options

Another picture of the South terrace circa 1965 - pity some flash harry had to photobomb.

Why oh why have we never gone for this shirt again. It was fantastic.

• Options
    edited January 2019

Another picture of the South terrace circa 1965 - pity some flash harry had to photobomb.

That was the Palacey rebranding exercise along with the badge and new nickname. Only the badge has survived. Red shirts are our traditional colour and ever more shall be :wink: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Here you go @Ashers

According to Airman on page 2 mate 1950.
    Thanks I skimmed the thread and missed it !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We wore the white kit with red flash for two seasons 1964-66
  • Options
    Loving this thread especially the pictures of the old Valley. It brings back many happy memories for me, often used to sit in the old half time scoreboard at reserve games, you really got to realise how huge the ground was from up there.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

stonemuse said:

Found a photo.

Great day (apart from the result). Up by train (football special I seem to recall) and then consumed copious amounts of Mitchells and Butlers in Wolverhampton.

Loads of Charlton wearing white butchers coats copying the film clockwork Orange.
    Happy days.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

In the late 50's when as a nipper, Dad used to take me in the Covered End left hand corner towards the East terrace so that I could stand up on the perimeter wall and hang on to the railings. In fact I made my first television appearance there in a match v Plymouth Argyle :sunglasses: . However I digress; for some reason we came in via the Lansdowne Mews entrance v Derby County in the 59/60 season which we won 6-1 and that is my only recollection of watching from the old South Terrace, great view from the top.

You're not as old as I thought.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

That was the Palacey rebranding exercise along with the badge and new nickname. Only the badge has survived. Red shirts are our traditional colour and ever more shall be :wink: .
    Ah, yes ..... The Valiants. :smile:

Seems a lifetime ago.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

RedChaser said:

Seems a lifetime ago.

It certainly was, actually although not sorry to go back to red shirts, I quite liked the shoulder flash kit and put a pair of the black socks with red and white tops on my Christmas list which Santa duly delivered 😉
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Generations of Sarf Londoners earnt a "little extra" letting people through the turnstiles at the Valley and keeping the money for themselves... It was like a local tax or summit! Rob Lee told me.
  • Options

Generations of Sarf Londoners earnt a "little extra" letting people through the turnstiles at the Valley and keeping the money for themselves... It was like a local tax or summit! Rob Lee told me.

It was Robert Lee who was the Charlton turnstile operator (according to popular legend). :smile:

I'm not sure who the Newcastle fella was.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Oggy Red said:

RedChaser said:

Seems a lifetime ago.

It certainly was, actually although not sorry to go back to red shirts, I quite liked the shoulder flash kit and put a pair of the black socks with red and white tops on my Christmas list which Santa duly delivered 😉
    Only wore those for one of the two seasons too.

And once a Valiant, always a Valiant 😊
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

stonemuse said:

Found a photo.

My first ever away game. I remember my Dad got train tickets via some Weetabix promotion or similar and we went up on a lovely Inter City train. Ended up sat among Wolves supporters at Molyneux, who were fantastic to me and my brother, obviously helped by the fact they gave us a tonking. Then home, Dad thought it a good idea to get the earlier train which ended up being the football special. Bit of an eye opener, first time I'd seen so many pissed blokes in one place and we had to stand all the way back. Prepared me for similar trips a few years later and beyond!