Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+*+*+*+*+*ANDY MURRAY TO RETIRE AFTER WIMBLEDON+*+*+*+*+

Just announced at a tearful press conference in Australia. Wimbledon is the latest he will go on but maybe after the Aussie Open and I suspect it will be after his first match in Melbourne

Deserves his own thread on this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018

Comments

• Everyone knows I dont like Andy but this is very sad to hear.

I was just reading and he is in constant pain every day, which is horrible to read.

All the best Andy and I hope you manage to have a good run in Australia and France and Wimbledon if u make them
  • Really sorry to hear this. Thanks for some great memories Andy!
  • edited January 2019
    Caption: “the closest I’ll ever get to the Aussie open trophy #5timeloser”

• 3 Grand Slam Titles
    2 Olympic Gold Medals
    1 Davis Cup
    FIVE times runner-up in Aussie Open
    Lived through and survived Dunblane

Surly, tempestuous and miserable at times but a fine athlete and a winner. Also has a wicked sense of humour and never afraid of self deprecation.
    I never warmed to him, very much like I couldn't to Colin Montgomerie but respected his achievements.
  • A dot on the cards due to all his injuries. Think it was one of those well known secrets he was planning on stopping after Australia if he broke down again. Sort of a one last chance for his body to say carry on if it could.

Like him or not he has changed the game to the British public.

Happy retirement Sir.
  • Sponsored links:

• A huge loss for the game and sport in The UK in general.
  • One of the greatest British sportsman of all time, playing against the greatest tennis players ever, he was number one.
    I don’t think many people understand how fit you have to be to play 4-5 hours of top end tennis
    I wish him well.
  • Everyone knows I dont like Andy but this is very sad to hear.

I was just reading and he is in constant pain every day, which is horrible to read.

All the best Andy and I hope you manage to have a good run in Australia and France and Wimbledon if u make them

News to me, pal.
  • Very sad day for British sport. He has nothing to prove, should be thinking only of himself and his family, and I wish him well.

The point about living in Britain is well made.
  • Everyone knows I dont like Andy

Does Andy know?

• I love Andy Murray, used to really enjoy his matches. Shame that time has taken its toll, and makes the achievements of Federer even more remarkable
  • Competing and training has been a way of life for him for probably 25 years and for probably over 50,000 hours has, effectively, ruined his body. I suspect that it is the fear of what he can and can't do, given that he says he struggles to even put his socks on at the age of just 31, is what upsets him even more than the fact that he will never potentially play again.

We don't have that many champions in sport simply because very few have the skill but, more to the point, the commitment, day in day out, to become one. And when one thinks that he has had to compete against not one, not two but three of the greatest male players of all time it makes his achievements all the more commendable.

Good luck Andy.
  • Great player in a sport that leaves me apathetic, but his achievements speak for themselves.

• Sponsored links:

• Pushed his body to the absolute limit, never thought I’d see a British player win Wimbledon in my lifetime.

Andy has done so much for the sport, I know he can come across as a bit dour at times, but he does have a personality, he just doesn’t like to show it in public.

I’ve really enjoyed watching him over the years, and wish him and his family all the best for the future.

I would love him to take some time out and then get into coaching / commentary, he still has a lot to give the sport, would love to see more Andy Murray’s come through.
  • Competing and training has been a way of life for him for probably 25 years and for probably over 50,000 hours has, effectively, ruined his body. I suspect that it is the fear of what he can and can't do, given that he says he struggles to even put his socks on at the age of just 31, is what upsets him even more than the fact that he will never potentially play again.

We don't have that many champions in sport
    simply because very few have the skill but, more to the point, the commitment, day in day out, to become one. And when one thinks that he has had to compete against not one, not two but three of the greatest male players of all time it makes his achievements all the more commendable.

Good luck Andy.

You don't watch the Olympics then? Or Boxing, Snooker, Golf etc etc
  • I didn't know either Pauline, but glad you highlighted that 😁
  • Greatest Living British sportsman in my eyes, possibly of all time.
  • Always when a Sportsman is forced to retire rather than of their own accord

Has certainly been a pleasure being able to watch Andy for the last god knows how many years and will certainly miss him - Just hope for him that he's able to bow out at Wimbledon after giving it a good go rather than either being unable to play or being knocked out in the first round
  • Let's be honest. Andy Murray was never going to be one of those sportsman that went on forever.
    He was not a natural athlete and had to put his body through complete hell to get to the levels he did.
    Phenomenal achievement. Hope he makes it to Wimbledon.
  • Riviera said:

Competing and training has been a way of life for him for probably 25 years and for probably over 50,000 hours has, effectively, ruined his body. I suspect that it is the fear of what he can and can't do, given that he says he struggles to even put his socks on at the age of just 31, is what upsets him even more than the fact that he will never potentially play again.

We don't have that many champions in sport
    simply because very few have the skill but, more to the point, the commitment, day in day out, to become one. And when one thinks that he has had to compete against not one, not two but three of the greatest male players of all time it makes his achievements all the more commendable.

Good luck Andy.

You don't watch the Olympics then? Or Boxing, Snooker, Golf etc etc
    No