Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To go or not to go, that is the question

Comments

• Options
    Go. This really does look like the end. And such an important game where a win could set the new owner up for a bright future!

The boycotting is done ..............
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

I am sorely tempted to go but am resisting temptation - even with the offer of a free ticket.

Each to their own, and I don't blame anyone who feels differently, but for me its not a penny more until the sale is 100% confirmed.

Just fucking go, life's too short and Roland is an easy excuse.

But this is bollocks. There is nothing easy for boycotters staying away.
    While I admire your stance, your absence tomorrow will not make a jot of difference in the grand scale of things.
    That's a matter of opinion. What I object to is someone having a bit of a pop at people maintaining their boycott and saying that it's an easy excuse. Excuse for what, FFS? I doubt there are many, if any, who are making excuses not to go. I and many others are boycotting out of principle.
    and therein lies the dilemma, do I just chuck my principles out of the window?

@LargeAddick - it is and always has been a personal decision mate. I personally don't blame anyone for going tomorrow, or who have been going all season for that matter. But I just can't. Mainly because if I do go, and then the sale doesn't happen, I will feel totally shit and like a complete fool. I'd rather wait until it's 100% and then go and have one of the best days of my life.
    Me too Alan. We must meet up for a beer prior to our first game under new ownership.
  • Options

I have a dilemma, should I go to the game tomorrow?

I have been boycotting for the last three seasons and was lured back for the last three home games of last season because the sale of the Club looked a done deal. I was duped. When it didn't go through during the summer I vowed 'not a penny more' and have remained steadfast in my boycott. However, a deal seems very close now and I would love to go tomorrow.

But what if I go and then the sale doesn't go through, I have lined Roland's pockets with more of my (very) hard earned cash. But if I don't and then it goes through Monday/Tuesday I will have wished I had gone.

Anyone else having this same dilemma?

If Roland still owns the club tomorrow then it is a simple answer, not a dilemma. Don't go!!

#notapennymore
    My concern is him retaining ownership of The Valley, the boycott will still continue for me.
  • Options
    "I vowed 'not a penny more'".

Remind us again, what was your vow? There's no reasonable alternative, if you want to remain true to your word and to your beliefs you'll stay away. Whether the sale is close or whether the game is a big one are neither here nor there. You said you wouldn't go, so there's only one way you can hold year head up high.
  • Options
    Nope. Go. It's our Charlton, why deny yourself something you clearly want to do just because of some weirdo in Belgium
  • Options
    There's a chance you will be able to sing - "we're back here now you have gone"
  • Options
    Stig said:

Remind us again, what was your vow? There's no reasonable alternative, if you want to remain true to your word and to your beliefs you'll stay away. Whether the sale is close or whether the game is a big one are neither here nor there. You said you wouldn't go, so there's only one way you can hold year head up high.

Not sure what a year head is😃, but nobody is going to think more or less of anyone if they go or not.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Stig said:

Not sure what a year head is😃, but nobody is going to think more or less of anyone if they go or not.
    You might think that. But I know for a fact that what you have posted is incorrect.
  • Options
    Roland is losing money whether you go or not.

You going will not affect his decision to sell.

The team needs the support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

True
    JiMMy 85 said:

Evidence?
    JiMMy 85 said:

Evidence?
  • Options
    My opinion is 'go'... but I'm not a boycotter and if you're sticking strictly to the rules, the club is still Roland's until we're categorically told any different by the club.

Just go though, sod it... it's a big game, should be one of the best home atmospheres of the season, we've probably been sold anyway and the team needs our support against a probable automatic promotion side. If we come away with the win you'll have missed a really great point in our season.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I am sorely tempted to go but am resisting temptation - even with the offer of a free ticket.

Each to their own, and I don't blame anyone who feels differently, but for me its not a penny more until the sale is 100% confirmed.

Err, you just said you had a free ticket ?
    You don't have to send RD an ex-gratia payment.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

While I admire your stance, your absence tomorrow will not make a jot of difference in the grand scale of things.
    That's a matter of opinion. What I object to is someone having a bit of a pop at people maintaining their boycott and saying that it's an easy excuse. Excuse for what, FFS? I doubt there are many, if any, who are making excuses not to go. I and many others are boycotting out of principle.
    and therein lies the dilemma, do I just chuck my principles out of the window?

Just go Large, no one will spot you :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Like with everything in life if you are thinking about it just go, 'if in doubt go out' is my saying. Better to go then to regret not going always.

As others have stated its a one off game, so if the bar steward doesn't sell it's probably not going to affect him either way
  • Options
    Stig said:

Nonsense, any decent Charlton fan would love to have the support swelled tomorrow.
    We've got 3,000 Mackems to out sing.

Anyone that didn't go for genuine boycott reasons, can hold their head high regardless and if anyone has a dig at them for going tomorrow, so bleeding what ?

There could be a great atmosphere tomorrow and your team could do with your support.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Stig said:

JiMMy 85 said:

True
    JiMMy 85 said:

Evidence?
    JiMMy 85 said:

Evidence?
    I swear some boycotters can't see the wood for the trees.

If you really believe RD will pull out of the deal if you go tomorrow (if it's not already done) and you really believe your football team doesn't need supporting, then you've temporarily lost the plot.

Congratulations to all the boycotters, you did a grand job.
    Now support your team in their biggest game of the season, if you want to go.
    You and your team deserve it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

Nonsense, any decent Charlton fan would love to have the support swelled tomorrow.
    We've got 3,000 Mackems to out sing.

Anyone that didn't go for genuine boycott reasons, can hold their head high regardless and if anyone has a dig at them for going tomorrow, so bleeding what ?

There could be a great atmosphere tomorrow and your team could do with your support.
    Guess I'm not a decent Charlton fan then.
  • Options
    PS my wife's "healthy" friend felt ill earlier this week.
    GP sent her to the hospital for tests as had a low B12 reading.
    They have done a test today for bone cancer !
    If you want to go just go and if you don't want to go then don't.
    But I think we should live our lives and not worry about what other fools may say.
  • Options
    I travel almost 200 miles round trip and missed 1 home game in the last 20 odd years despite i work 3 weekends in 5... I hate roland... Too many people making too futile excuses not to go in my view...
  • Options

Stig said:

JiMMy 85 said:

True
    JiMMy 85 said:

Evidence?
    JiMMy 85 said:

Evidence?
    I swear some boycotters can't see the wood for the trees.

If you really believe RD will pull out of the deal (if it's not already done) and you really believe your football team doesn't need supporting, then you've temporarily lost the plot.

Congratulations to all the boycotters, you did a grand job.
    Now support your team in their biggest game of the season, if you want to go.
    You and your team deserve it.
    Entrance money etc tomorrow still goes into his sky rocket.

The boycott moves on to Chelmsford v Hampton tomorrow.
    Good for you Gary, if that's your preference.
  • Options
    If we had Man Utd in the cup tomorrow rather than Sunderland in the league, how many principles would be dropped for one day.
  • Options
    Nothing's changed yet. Duchatelet is still the owner. I won't be going.

Even if he's gone next week I'm not sure when I could go as I have other stuff planned.
  • Options

If we had Man Utd in the cup tomorrow rather than Sunderland in the league, how many principles would be dropped for one day.

This in no way encourages people back.
  • Options

Didn't happen