Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Injury Update-28/12/18

2»

Comments

• Options
    I do also wonder if our conditioning and recovery management teams are fully linked up.

If you look at what say Mo Farah or Chis Froomes/Geraint Thomas get after training and after a day of effort, including the ice bath, the oxygen tent and food deliberately set to manage the rebuild of muscle damage after reading the data, how close are football teams in League 1, championship and Premiership to this?

While we may not be behind in our current league, if we are trying to run players at championship levels of activity, surely this is an area worth investing in.

Not that Duchâtelet seems to understand a basic cost benefit analysis. For £10 you get £100 Roland.....I can’t soend £10 I’ve wasted it elsewhere.
  • Options

Does the over watering of pitches now have any impact on the amount of injuries ?

Seeing the pitch being watered before the Gills game after the heavy rain in the days leading up to the match is bizarre. Players slipping and sliding as if their playing on ice is common place now ; and I don't just mean the Nabster !

Have to agree with this. No harm with watering pitches in August & September but in Dec ?? Sheer madness imo
  • Options
    I'm not sure the medical staff/facilities can be blamed for the injury issues this season. It's not as if we've had misdiagnosed or poorly treated injuries this season causing players to be out longer than they should be. ACL or shoulder injuries are just unlucky, Bournemouth have lost 2 players to ACLs within the last couple of months, while many of the other injuries have been as a direct result of challenges by opponents (e.g. Aribo and Pearce)

• Options
    Good insight @Sage cheers
  • Options
    Charlton’s first-team squad has been decimated by injuries this season and striker Lyle Taylor says that their luck must turn soon.

Jason Pearce’s name was added to the growing absentee list after hurting his ankle during Saturday’s defeat at Barnsley, with Billy Clarke, Lewis Page, Joe Aribo, Josh Cullen, Igor Vetokele and Jake Forster-Caskey all out for the foreseeable future at the moment.

“It’s ridiculous,” bemoaned Taylor, who has bagged 13 goals in all competitions so far this campaign.

“You couldn’t in your wildest dreams imagine the injuries we keep getting. I don’t understand how it’s possible that we keep getting these injuries. It has to turn, surely it has to turn. We’re welcoming Naby Sarr back [from suspension] and I suppose the young lads involved or in and around it will have to pick up the slack as they’ll be involved.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletics-luck-with-injuries-must-turn-soon-says-striker-lyle-taylor/
  • Options
    Why are curses multiple when it comes to Charlton? Discuss.
  • Options
    You have to say that Lyle's comments are interesting given that he joined us from a club which has the 4th lowest operating budget in the division.
  • Options

You have to say that Lyle's comments are interesting given that he joined us from a club which has the 4th lowest operating budget in the division.

And he turned down Sunderland to sign for us, because obviously Charlton are a bigger club. :smile:

• Options
    cafc_se7 said:

When I was a little nipper (90s) I don’t remember players getting injured this much! The generation of footballers these days are injured so so easily!?

the game's a lot faster, pitches a lot harder and footwear (a k a 'boots') a lot flimsier .. also, do players 'overtrain', lose too much weight and are their muscles and ligaments too highly strung and close to the surface of the body ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

Is our medical team a joke, are they really?

Can they do anything about a facial laceration or concussion? Can they do anything about two dislocated shoulders during one game which required surgery? How about a knee injury caused by over stretching in a game last week?

Come off it, these aren’t little niggly injuries or a reoccurrence of hamstring injuries for example. These are things that you literally can’t help, they’re contact injuries, impact injuries. Can the medical team do anything about that?

They are professional, they’re very good at what they do, they’ve changed a lot about how they do things and are in line with research to prove it. You can say about Clarke or Page but when you’ve been out injured for a while, you then pick up another type of injury, that will almost always happen. Plenty of other teams have the amount we do, Leeds for example, are top of the Championship but have had a whole load of injuries this season, as much as us and they’ve been things that the medical team can control.

I’d suggest before making a judgement or calling them out to be replaced, you actually have a bit of knowledge about what they do first, that would be useful.

Our long term injuries over the past 5 years does suggest the respected @Blackpool72 does have a point.
  • Options

Sage said:

Is our medical team a joke, are they really?

Can they do anything about a facial laceration or concussion? Can they do anything about two dislocated shoulders during one game which required surgery? How about a knee injury caused by over stretching in a game last week?

Come off it, these aren’t little niggly injuries or a reoccurrence of hamstring injuries for example. These are things that you literally can’t help, they’re contact injuries, impact injuries. Can the medical team do anything about that?

They are professional, they’re very good at what they do, they’ve changed a lot about how they do things and are in line with research to prove it. You can say about Clarke or Page but when you’ve been out injured for a while, you then pick up another type of injury, that will almost always happen. Plenty of other teams have the amount we do, Leeds for example, are top of the Championship but have had a whole load of injuries this season, as much as us and they’ve been things that the medical team can control.

I’d suggest before making a judgement or calling them out to be replaced, you actually have a bit of knowledge about what they do first, that would be useful.

Our long term injuries over the past 5 years does suggest the respected @Blackpool72 does have a point.
    But I'm pretty sure we changed medical teams 18 months ago.

And given I think Solly is the only senior player who has been with us for that time, how good of a sampling is that? If we use Solly as a sample, I suspect he's missed less time over the last couple years than he did prior. That is, of course, not a good sampling.
  • Options
    It feels to me that a lot of our signings (both perm and loan) often seem to be players who are very good at this level, indeed potentially too good BUT with poor fitness records, which is why we can get them

Jonny Williams is another example, but the likes of Steer, Bielik and Ward also fall into this category, while the likes of JFC and Reeves probably would be playing at a higher level if they had a better fitness record.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

It feels to me that a lot of our signings (both perm and loan) often seem to be players who are very good at this level, indeed potentially too good BUT with poor fitness records, which is why we can get them

Jonny Williams is another example, but the likes of Steer, Bielik and Ward also fall into this category, while the likes of JFC and Reeves probably would be playing at a higher level if they had a better fitness record.

I think with JFC it's both fitness and consistency. Reeves, agree, though he did apparently have offers from abroad last year (and I think he would do well abroad).

But yes, by-and-large, without throwing around silly money, whenever we make signings there are going to be trade offs in quality (Pratley) or fitness record (Pratley, Reeves, Clarke, Pearce, Bielik, etc.). I think we've largely walked the right side of that line, but this is the risk, not just that individuals get hurt, but that individuals get hurt all at the same time.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I think with JFC it's both fitness and consistency. Reeves, agree, though he did apparently have offers from abroad last year (and I think he would do well abroad).

But yes, by-and-large, without throwing around silly money, whenever we make signings there are going to be trade offs in quality (Pratley) or fitness record (Pratley, Reeves, Clarke, Pearce, Bielik, etc.). I think we've largely walked the right side of that line, but this is the risk, not just that individuals get hurt, but that individuals get hurt all at the same time.
    Under Slade we seemed to go for less talented, but more match hardened players, whereas under Robinson and Bowyer we've tended to go for more talented but more fragile players...
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Under Slade we seemed to go for less talented, but more match hardened players, whereas under Robinson and Bowyer we've tended to go for more talented but more fragile players...
    Which I think reflects the way the two groups want to play. But Magennis and Pearce have both missed decent stretches with injury. Ajose has shown himself to not be good enough for what he was signed for, and Holmes was pretty ever-present. Same with Crofts and Foley, both of whom weren't up to the standard we're playing at now. I feel like Novak had a fair few niggles but I honestly struggle to remember much about him tbh.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Exactly, when a 5'8" player smashes into/gets smashed by a 6'2" player, it's not hard to work out who is likely to come out worse off.
  • Options

cafc_se7 said:

When I was a little nipper (90s) I don’t remember players getting injured this much! The generation of footballers these days are injured so so easily!?

the game's a lot faster, pitches a lot harder and footwear (a k a 'boots') a lot flimsier .. also, do players 'overtrain', lose too much weight and are their muscles and ligaments too highly strung and close to the surface of the body ?
    That ignores the difference in understanding injuries and the chronic damage that can occur from ignoring niggles... Some footballers that never missed a game and always seemed to play harder etc are limping around these days as they can barely walk anymore.
  • Options
    Charlton will welcome the return of Chris Solly from suspension but Bowyer revealed his long-term absentees are still a long way off.

Ben Reeves was substituted in Tuesday’s win at home to Walsall and Bowyer said: “I’ll find out more this morning but it’s not looking good for him. We know it’s a hamstring injury but we don’t know the extent and how bad it is. I’ll know more in 10-15 minutes when I go and see the physio department. Hopefully if he’s out it won’t be too long and he won’t be the six weekers we’ve had.

“I think the nearest person we’ve got coming back (of the long-term injuries) is maybe Josh Cullen who might be the end of the month. The rest of them are long term. I think Josh is the closest one apart from George Lapslie, he won’t be ok for Saturday but maybe the game after with his concussion.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c2e22036168e/bowyer-on-sunderland-game-and-injuries-to-ben-reeves-and-george-lapslie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If @Admin can change the date.

Aribo fit for Saturday
    Pearce playing for under 23s and if he makes it through that will be ready for AFC Wimbledon.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-get-double-injury-boost-ahead-of-blackpool-match

Joe Aribo is fit for Charlton’s home game against Blackpool this weekend – with captain Jason Pearce set to play in an U23 match tomorrow.

The Addicks are also boosted by the return from suspension of Lyle Taylor and Patrick Bauer. Krystian Bielik serves a two-game ban for 10 cautions.

Aribo had been missing with a knee injury but has trained fully this week.

Pearce (ankle) should be available for the following weekend at AFC Wimbledon.

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer said: “We’re getting stronger all the time.

“Joe has trained this week and we’re hoping he’ll be okay to be in the squad.

“Pearcey is playing an U23 game tomorrow, so he should be good for selection from next weekend as well, if he comes through that okay.

“It is a good time for everybody to start coming back now, especially for the big push.”

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Blimey thats come out of no where with regards to Aribo!!... I wasnt expecting him back for a few more weeks

Wonder if he's fully fit as had an injection that he reacted to badly the other week and whether we'll properly deal with his problem over the summer

Doesnt that just leave Forster-Caskey and Page out injured when we've got Pearce back?
  • Options
    Blimey thats come out of no where with regards to Aribo!!... I wasnt expecting him back for a few more weeks

Wonder if he's fully fit as had an injection that he reacted to badly the other week and whether we'll properly deal with his problem over the summer

Doesnt that just leave Forster-Caskey and Page out injured when we've got Pearce back?

Bowyer said he wasn't far off playing in the Southend match. Seems odd that such a basic injury was sufficient to scare off any potential buyers.

Other than Pearce and JFC; Morgan is out for a few weeks more.

• Options
    Purrington is a good full back, but I think Page is an improvement of him, especially in creative positions. If we can get Page back before the end of the season, I think it will be a bonus for the play offs.
  • Options
    Aribo has been a big loss,  good to see he's nearly back
  • Options
    Jason Pearce missed Charlton’s 1-1 draw at Doncaster Rovers because he is still getting issues from his injured ankle.

“His ankle was still hurting him so we said there is no point you just keep playing through this at the moment,” said Charlton manager Lee Bowyer. “If there is anywhere we are strong at the moment it is that position – we’ve got Krystian Bielik who can fill in there and Anfernee Dijksteel.

“We need to get him right for when we do need him. He went for a scan on Friday morning and had another injection in the afternoon. We’re just trying to settle it down.

Bielik had to come off in the closing stages at the weekend.

“He just landed funny on the bottom of his back and hurt his coccyx – he’ll be fine,” said Bowyer.

“He’s got a week to recover and I’m sure he’ll be alright.”

Josh Parker, who had been laid low with a virus, scored twice for Charlton U23s in a 4-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday on Friday.

“Josh trained Monday, Tuesday and Thursday but just wasn’t his usual self,” said Bowyer. “I told him to play in the U23s and try to sweat it out. His chest sounded horrendous.

“I wanted him to play an hour and he lasted longer than that. He’ll be back with us now unless that game has knocked him back, but it shouldn’t have done.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/revealed-why-jason-pearce-missed-charlton-athletics-1-1-draw-at-doncaster-rovers/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Jason Pearce missed Charlton’s 1-1 draw at Doncaster Rovers because he is still getting issues from his injured ankle.

“His ankle was still hurting him so we said there is no point you just keep playing through this at the moment,” said Charlton manager Lee Bowyer. “If there is anywhere we are strong at the moment it is that position – we’ve got Krystian Bielik who can fill in there and Anfernee Dijksteel.

“We need to get him right for when we do need him. He went for a scan on Friday morning and had another injection in the afternoon. We’re just trying to settle it down.

“He just landed funny on the bottom of his back and hurt his coccyx – he’ll be fine,” said Bowyer.

Josh Parker, who had been laid low with a virus, scored twice for Charlton U23s in a 4-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday on Friday.

“Josh trained Monday, Tuesday and Thursday but just wasn’t his usual self,” said Bowyer. “I told him to play in the U23s and try to sweat it out. His chest sounded horrendous.

“I wanted him to play an hour and he lasted longer than that. He’ll be back with us now unless that game has knocked him back, but it shouldn’t have done.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/revealed-why-jason-pearce-missed-charlton-athletics-1-1-draw-at-doncaster-rovers/
    @golfaddick
  • Options
    Pearce, Parker and Morgan have all played minutes in the reserves within the last week so hopefully they will available for the final Saturday/Tuesday of the season.

Only JFC and Page left to return. Not holding any hope with Page playing again this season.
  • Options
    clive said:

@golfaddick
    Just replace "U23's" with "First team" and Friday with Saturday.