Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Buddhism

Comments

• I've had a bordering interest in buddhism after my own battles with depression and anxiety in recent years but haven't  found a real way in. I didn't realise we had such a community on CL. Can anyone suggest the best way of 'getting started'?
  • But if you are in a retreat meditating in silence, can you still use your phone to keep up with the takeover thread? 
    No need .
    Nothing is happening. 
  • edited February 2019
    Chunes said:
    I've had a bordering interest in buddhism after my own battles with depression and anxiety in recent years but haven't  found a real way in. I didn't realise we had such a community on CL. Can anyone suggest the best way of 'getting started'?
    Where are you based?

As I said in my post the important thing for me, is to take action. So if I was you I’d find my nearest Buddhist Centre, take a meditation course, if you haven’t had any experience of meditating. We practise the Mindfulness Of Breathing and the Metta Bhavana. Whatever school you choose may do something similar.

Start reading some books, ‘Life with Full Attention’ and ‘The Journey and Guide’ by Maitreyabandhu and ‘Not About Being Good’ by Subhadramati, all available at the LBC bookshop. Or read some of the books that @Wheresmeticket?  has suggested.

Whatever place you may start, may not be the right one but just make a start to get some idea and then you can be more discerning, once you’ve gained some experience.

Be committed and be prepared for a journey, even if at first you think it’s a load of old bollox, that’s just resistance to change.

Like anything it’s not a quick fix but stick at it. If an old pessimist like me can gain from it and I have serious inner turmoil, I’m sure you can.

• hawksmoor said:
    Anyone had any experience with Nichiren Buddhism?

Is that the nam myoho renge Kyo bods? 

Yes, mate.
  • My late wife was a Nichiren Buddhist.

She was introduced in 2001 by a nurse when receiving Cancer treatment in Dallas. The local group had a strong representation of South Koreans but members came from all races and backgrounds. I met many very fine people but found one or two of the values promoted by some members a little materialistic.

I have no experience of the UK branch of Nicheren Buddhism other than one or two similar concerns advised by family members. By materialistic I mean specifically chanting for a new car, a new house a new job etc.,

Overall the Dallas Group were a strong very supportive collective and the peace and tranquillity Carolyn gained at the time was extremely helpful in her facing her challenges.

As a "religious group" it was not overtly materialistic. Indeed when my daughter was having a few problems trying to find a college the SGI offered her a 3year scholarship at their University in California with absolutely no conditions attached. She was not a follower but had several Buddhist friends. She chose not to go.

As with any social structure there will always be the human failing of some trying to be more XYZ than others though in some cases there is good reason. One good friend was diagnosed with a rare cancer and was not expected to survive. He and his partner were devout Buddhists. He battled through two years of very difficult treatment to beat the disease. For them their beliefs were central to his ability to recover.

They are still lovely people but cannot help themselves in wearing their experience as a badge of honour. I for one am not going to blame them.

On relocating we struggled to find a local group in rural Brittany for a couple of years. It was only when the Dallas Group wrote to Japan to find support for Carolyn we discovered a key representative living 500 metres from our front door.

We had local gatherings of 10-15 every week.

The culture is different here but they are again very good people. I remain friends with several even though Carolyn passed in 2015.

Yes, they do chant for the well being of themselves, of family and friends but also for those who present challenges in their lives...and ultimately for world peace.

The group do not believe in any specific external deity or religious dictat focusing on using the Nichiren teachings to strengthen and enlighten the spirit and knowledge ("the deity") within.

Once Brexit sorts itself out I may return to reading the small library Carolyn left.

Thank you for that, Grapevine. I'm sorry to hear about your late wife. Did you ever chant yourself? I can't remember when I became interested in this 'branch' of Buddhism, but the interest was re-awakened when I recently read Herbie Hancock's autobiography and he and most of his band are devout followers, including Mike Clark, one of the finest funk drummers and a musician I greatly admire. I've never been to a meeting but I do chant, although certainly not for a new car. It's more to provide a sort of focus.
  • edited February 2019
    vff said:
    Whats all the Bhuddists take on whats going on in Myanmar ? It seems totally contradictory to the general belief. 
    It is, and it has nothing to do with Buddhist teachings.  This is a race war.  Unfortunately, because the country identifies as "Buddhist" this has become the identifier.  In some (mostly east and south Asian) countries that identify as Buddhist the majority population do not practice meditation and their buddhism consists of paying homage to a demigod who has come to represent the buddha.  Sadly many of the sangha (the monks whose role is to spread the dhamma or teachings) make very little attempt to integrate with the communities of which they are a part and instead concentrate on maintaining their own community of monks within which they live and die.
  • But if you are in a retreat meditating in silence, can you still use your phone to keep up with the takeover thread? 
    I was on a silent retreat a couple of weeks ago for 4 days.  To avoid temptation I handed over my phone to be looked after for the duration.  I won't say I didn't want to get it back on Saturday around 5pm :)
  • edited February 2019
    Chunes said:
    I've had a bordering interest in buddhism after my own battles with depression and anxiety in recent years but haven't  found a real way in. I didn't realise we had such a community on CL. Can anyone suggest the best way of 'getting started'?

"Mindfulness In Plain English" is, in my opinion, the best introductory book on the subject.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-Plain-English-Henepola-Gunaratana/dp/0861713214/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_1/259-4449258-6604639?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C7MT5JTC4QANF6K23NV1

Triratna are good for basic meditation practice.  They operate a few centres where you can learn the techniques and they are generally welcoming to newcomers in my experience.

generally trying to do it on your own at the start is very hard and has put off a lot of would be meditators.  

https://www.londoninsight.org/ have some excellent teachers and do not expect you to align yourself with any school.

Tibetan buddhism has lots of pretty pictures and statues, but do you want more gods?? :) 

if you want to jump in at the deepish end have a look at a retreat:

https://gaiahouse.co.uk/
  • Sponsored links:

• I regularly took Carolyn and Emma to meetings in Dallas, though chose not to participate. I simply wanted to understand more before joining in. In discussions I was troubled by the materialistic elements. You will understand the religious financial exploitation on an industrial scale prevalent in the USA.

I joined Carolyn and one or two friends at home chanting to her personal gohonzon specifically for Carolyn's well being.

I found even the most basic "nam myoho renge kyo" participation brought its challenges of focus, concentration and breathing. It is rhythmic exercise and clearly you have to move at your own speed to enable a focus, simply trying to breathe through the process did present challenges.

I found solace in the practice at the time of Carolyn's death. Indeed the Buddhist Group conducted a lovely tribute ceremony at her Cremation. I did find the practice helpful in recovering some equilibrium after being her sole career for 2 yrs. 

Sadly I learned I was doing it all wrong. The essence was to focus on self, on drawing on the energy and strength of the earth around you. I was happily enjoying enthusiastically chanting for everyone else! 

To really benefit you do need to commit to the practice. I found I had too much remedial activity around the house and garden after 3yrs of neglect to do it justice. I am mindful of returning to explore it in greater detail this year.

From my experience there is a notable level of peace, balance and measured strength evident in many of its practionners. Having been brought up in the Church Of England and witnessed the dogmatic excesses of the multitudes of houses of worship evident across the USA I find there is a basic humanity and humility to the Nichiren Buddhist practice.

• I’ve been reading an excellent book "How to Change Your Mind" tracing the history, use and effect of psychedelics on personality and healing.

Brain scanning and anecdotal  evidence suggests that meditation has the same effect as psychedelics.  

Our brain only processes bits of the information we see and makes up the rest from what memory says the rest looks like.  The brain would overcook otherwise and we would be on a permanent trip.

Meditation and psychedelics interrupt the brain's wiring to bypass the central processor that uses stored memory and experiences to create "reality".  The altered state of the brain in meditation allows unfiltered thoughts and images to be absorbed which allows alternative thoughts and different "realities" to be experienced.  Healing strategies are believed to be about replacing the unwanted stored bits of information with stuff you would rather be recalled instead. 

The Shaolin monks have perfected the art of re-wiring "reality" through meditation.  A recent TV programme wired up the brain of a monk who hit himself on the head with a pole that would have broken most peoples skulls.  The area of his brain that would have told him he was about to kill himself and would feel great pain had, by the practice of prolonged periods of deep meditation been turned off.  He even had the same brain pattern when not in meditation. 

The brain's a fascinating part of our body that can be surprisingly easy to modify. We can apparently genuinely replace an existing "reality", that is causing us angst, with a healthier "reality" by meditation or magic mushrooms!

• Chunes said:
    I have depression too and have approached Buddhism through mindfulness initially, it has really helped me. Try the free ‘Plum Village’ app, it has a range of meditations. Plum Village was established in France by Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thích Nhat Hahn.
  • edited February 2019
    I regularly took Carolyn and Emma to meetings in Dallas, though chose not to participate. I simply wanted to understand more before joining in. In discussions I was troubled by the materialistic elements. You will understand the religious financial exploitation on an industrial scale prevalent in the USA.

I joined Carolyn and one or two friends at home chanting to her personal gohonzon specifically for Carolyn's well being.

I found even the most basic "nam myoho renge kyo" participation brought its challenges of focus, concentration and breathing. It is rhythmic exercise and clearly you have to move at your own speed to enable a focus, simply trying to breathe through the process did present challenges.

I found solace in the practice at the time of Carolyn's death. Indeed the Buddhist Group conducted a lovely tribute ceremony at her Cremation. I did find the practice helpful in recovering some equilibrium after being her sole career for 2 yrs. 

Sadly I learned I was doing it all wrong. The essence was to focus on self, on drawing on the energy and strength of the earth around you. I was happily enjoying enthusiastically chanting for everyone else! 

To really benefit you do need to commit to the practice. I found I had too much remedial activity around the house and garden after 3yrs of neglect to do it justice. I am mindful of returning to explore it in greater detail this year.

From my experience there is a notable level of peace, balance and measured strength evident in many of its practionners. Having been brought up in the Church Of England and witnessed the dogmatic excesses of the multitudes of houses of worship evident across the USA I find there is a basic humanity and humility to the Nichiren Buddhist practice.

Thanks for that, Grapevine. If you do decide to explore the practice in more detail, could you keep me posted?
  • I think a retreat would also be a great way to start, that's what I did. I would suggest if you can, go on something longer than a weekend, in my experience of weekends, they're kind of over before you've really had a chance to settle in.

I didn't know a great deal about Buddhism, I just booked myself on a 10 day beginners retreat, partly to kill christmas and new year, which I find a difficult time but also to be able to immerse myself more fully.

If I'm honest when I arrived on the Friday evening and went into the lounge while waiting further information. I seriously thought about turning round and going home. It was far from what I'd imagined, far too many people for my comfort and far too noisy.

But thankfully I persisted and feel I was richly rewarded. It can be a challenge and it definitely was for me. There were moments of silence that built up over the 10 days and it was something I really appreciated and do try to do what's suggested, particularly around switching off technology, it really is great to be free of it all for a number of days and the world/facebook/charlton life will still be there when you switch back on.
  • I’ve been reading an excellent book "How to Change Your Mind" tracing the history, use and effect of psychedelics on personality and healing.

Brain scanning and anecdotal  evidence suggests that meditation has the same effect as psychedelics.  

Our brain only processes bits of the information we see and makes up the rest from what memory says the rest looks like.  The brain would overcook otherwise and we would be on a permanent trip.

Meditation and psychedelics interrupt the brain's wiring to bypass the central processor that uses stored memory and experiences to create "reality".  The altered state of the brain in meditation allows unfiltered thoughts and images to be absorbed which allows alternative thoughts and different "realities" to be experienced.  Healing strategies are believed to be about replacing the unwanted stored bits of information with stuff you would rather be recalled instead. 

The Shaolin monks have perfected the art of re-wiring "reality" through meditation.  A recent TV programme wired up the brain of a monk who hit himself on the head with a pole that would have broken most peoples skulls.  The area of his brain that would have told him he was about to kill himself and would feel great pain had, by the practice of prolonged periods of deep meditation been turned off.  He even had the same brain pattern when not in meditation. 

The brain's a fascinating part of our body that can be surprisingly easy to modify. We can apparently genuinely replace an existing "reality", that is causing us angst, with a healthier "reality" by meditation or magic mushrooms!

I read a book last year called psycho cybernetics.  It also touched upon something similar to this.  The best example it gave was when you start to play out say, an uncomfortable conversation at work or a confrontation in the mind, the mind doesn’t necessarily know it’s not real, and begins to emit feelings such as anxiety and fear as if it were a real situation.  In other words we start to act as if we can’t tell the difference.  It’s the same if you reinforce positive thinking.  Do it often enough and your brain will start to release endorphins etc.  Definitely not as easy as I’ve just made out, because we spend a lifetime wired into certain ways of thinking and behaviours.  Trying to break those is very hard.  Try putting your watch on your opposite wrist or your phone in the opposite pocket.  

I have also, through Kung Fu, started to do our club’s version of soft style which is like Thai Chi.  It’s all about breathing.  I find ridiculously hard as to do it properly, you’re meant to breathe in through your stomach and that exhales as you breathe.  As a westerner, we breathe in through our lungs and puff out our chests.  It’s fascinating to note the cultural differences and how they focus on your energies and your energy centre underneath your naval, your Dantian.  Having done Kung Fu for 2 years now, my mind has been blown wide open my the difference it has made to me not on physically, but also mentally and the whole notion of energy and strength.  Honestly, to see what some of the more experienced members of the club can do and the instructors and the knowledge they have, is something pretty special.

i would encourage more people to look at anything similar around eastern philosophies if they’re interested, be it martial arts, yoga, Buddhism or whatever.  They know their shit 
  • This website is something else. Intelligent insight on such a varied range of subjects.
  • Thich Nhat Hanh taught me to meditate in 1992. I highly recommend his book "Peace Is Every Step."
  • Thich Nhat Hanh taught me to meditate in 1992. I highly recommend his book "Peace Is Every Step."
    I really like the way he writes. I would also recommend that book.

A few years back when I worked in an office based job I read his book ‘work’ which helped to look at it in a more ‘helpful ‘ way. 

How does rewiring your brain suddenly make your skull stronger and immune from breaking? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Where are you based?

As I said in my post the important thing for me, is to take action. So if I was you I’d find my nearest Buddhist Centre, take a meditation course, if you haven’t had any experience of meditating. We practise the Mindfulness Of Breathing and the Metta Bhavana. Whatever school you choose may do something similar.

Start reading some books, ‘Life with Full Attention’ and ‘The Journey and Guide’ by Maitreyabandhu and ‘Not About Being Good’ by Subhadramati, all available at the LBC bookshop. Or read some of the books that @Wheresmeticket?  has suggested.

Whatever place you may start, may not be the right one but just make a start to get some idea and then you can be more discerning, once you’ve gained some experience.

Be committed and be prepared for a journey, even if at first you think it’s a load of old bollox, that’s just resistance to change.

Like anything it’s not a quick fix but stick at it. If an old pessimist like me can gain from it and I have serious inner turmoil, I’m sure you can.

Thanks for the advice. I spend too much time trying to figure out the best way of learning when really just jumping in would be a good start, like you say. Will certainly invest in the books.

I'm based in Hong Kong. There seems to be quite a lot of Kadampa centres...
  • edited February 2019
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Where are you based?

Thanks for the advice. I spend too much time trying to figure out the best way of learning when really just jumping in would be a good start, like you say. Will certainly invest in the books.

I'm based in Hong Kong. There seems to be quite a lot of Kadampa centres...
    Should be plenty of Zen / Chan in that part of the world.
  • WSS said:
    I’ve been reading an excellent book "How to Change Your Mind" tracing the history, use and effect of psychedelics on personality and healing.

How does rewiring your brain suddenly make your skull stronger and immune from breaking? 
    Yes shouldn’t have linked the two. That’s technique where the skull has to hit the pole and not vice versa.  Same as Karate where technique means a hand breaks a brick rather than brick breaks hand if your technique is wrong.
  • Have just finished reading 'Buddha's Brain - the practical neuroscience of happiness, love and wisdom'. An interesting read. Recommend for anyone wanting scientific evidence of the benefits of various aspects of Buddhist life.
  • Just finished, Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck.

Very good book, lots of good insights.
  • Have just finished reading 'Buddha's Brain - the practical neuroscience of happiness, love and wisdom'. An interesting read. Recommend for anyone wanting scientific evidence of the benefits of various aspects of Buddhist life.

I know there is scientific evidence for meditation and mindfulness.  Did the book attempt to give scientifically proof of reincarnation? 

• The London Buddhist Centre is running a ‘home retreat’ from today 17-24th May. There is a whole programme of online events including meditations, yoga, teaching seminars etc. 

You can find out more on the London Buddhist Centre Online. Wish I knew how to post a link!

I’m planning to ‘go to’ the opening ceremony today, 7-9pm and then do the early meditation 7-7.45 (via Zoom). Will do other bits here and there if I can fit them into my day. 

@silavnitram are you doing this?
  • The London Buddhist Centre is running a ‘home retreat’ from today 17-24th May. There is a whole programme of online events including meditations, yoga, teaching seminars etc. 

You can find out more on the London Buddhist Centre Online. Wish I knew how to post a link!

I’m planning to ‘go to’ the opening ceremony today, 7-9pm and then do the early meditation 7-7.45 (via Zoom). Will do other bits here and there if I can fit them into my day. 

https://londonbuddhistcentreonline.com/home-retreat/
  • Chizz said:
    The London Buddhist Centre is running a ‘home retreat’ from today 17-24th May. There is a whole programme of online events including meditations, yoga, teaching seminars etc. 

https://londonbuddhistcentreonline.com/home-retreat/
    Thank you Chizz 😊