Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great football books

Apart from Charlton ones.

All played out - Pete Davies (best world cup book ever)
The far corner - Harry Pearson (excellent book on football in the northe east)
Away Days - Kevin Sampson (love all his books)
A season with Verona - Tim Parks (good laugh)
A boy's story - Martin KIng (recalls the skinhead days)
The Damned United - David Peace (superb fictional/factual book about Cloughie)

Comments

• Agree about all played out and the Damned Utd. Not read the others but hate Tim Parks

Football against the Enemy and Ajax, the Dutch the war both by Simon Kuper
  • I agree, Parks is a tw@t, but I enjoyed reading about the game in Italy.
  • I enjoyed El Macca...

Steve Mcmanaman in Madrid...

didnt think much of Diego though...
  • The Miricle of San Migual or whatever it's called is a good read because the Yank knows nothing about football.

Got lots of history books but not into hollie lit. Steaming in was good though
  • Has anyone read Paul McGrath's biography 'Back from the Brink'?

I've heard lots of very good things about it, just wondered if it is as good as they say.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The Miricle of San Migual or whatever it's called is a good read because the Yank knows nothing about football.

The miracoe of Castel di Sangro - great book - by Joe McGinnis
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The Miricle of San Migual or whatever it's called is a good read because the Yank knows nothing about football.

The miracle of Castel di Sangro - great book - by Joe McGinnis
  • Miracle of Castel Di Sangro is a good read.

If you want autobiography advice, there's some good stuff in this thread

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=219&page=1#Item_1
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Peakie_Rocket[/cite]Has anyone read Paul McGrath's biography 'Back from the Brink'?

I've heard lots of very good things about it, just wondered if it is as good as they say.[/quote]

Read it last week. A very good book, was shocked at how much he went through ( suicide attempts etc) and how it was kept out of the media
  • Keeper of Dreams, based on the short pro career of Lars Leese, who went from playing semi-pro football as a goalkeeper in Germany to Barnsley via Bayer Leverkusen and then after two seasons with Barnsley he was released and unable to find a club and found himself unemployed.

http://www.amazon.de/Keeper-Dreams-Ronald-Reng/dp/0224064436
  • Sponsored links:

• Read it last week. A very good book, was shocked at how much he went through ( suicide attempts etc) and how it was kept out of the media

Cheers for that - will get a copy now!