Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Man Utd v Arsenal decision.

Apologies if discussed elsewhere but forgot to mention it at the time.
Lacazette headed the ball out of the palm of De Geas single hand and then scored.
This was immediately blew as a foul and the commentators didn't even discuss it.

I couldn't see anything wrong at all, not dangerous, didn't have two hands or complete control of the ball.

Is this ungentlemanly conduct??

Keepers are protected enough but this seemed ridiculous to me.

Comments

• Pretty sure this is against the laws. There's a famous clip of someone doing it in the 1990s (to Andy Dibble) but they've since changed the laws I think
  • Gary Crosby of Forest did it.
  • Yeah well, I only remember the goalkeeper in these traumatic situations. #union
  • They discussed on BT. Their retired ref in the studio (can't remember who it was) confirmed that the rules applying to this changed some time ago and you are no longer permitted to do a Crosby. The keeper no longer needs to have two hands on the ball to be deemed in control of it.
  • MrLargo said:

They discussed on BT. Their retired ref in the studio (can't remember who it was) confirmed that the rules applying to this changed some time ago and you are no longer permitted to do a Crosby. The keeper no longer needs to have two hands on the ball to be deemed in control of it.

What he said
  • A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

• so a goalkeeper could hold the ball as if he's a waiter holding a tray above his head and run around the penalty box for six or so seconds if he choose to?

• so a goalkeeper could hold the ball as if he's a waiter holding a tray above his head and run around the penalty box for six or so seconds if he choose to?

He could, but would look a complete pratt!
  • Addickted said:

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

Ah so even in the split second of having the ball on his hands (or hand) and dropping the ball to kick it he’s still deemed in control?
  • se9addick said:

Addickted said:

Ah so even in the split second of having the ball on his hands (or hand) and dropping the ball to kick it he’s still deemed in control?
    Yes, but if the goalkeeper makes contact with his foot and the attacker blocks that, and then scores, it should stand as a goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Regardless what the rules state it’s quite ridiculous. If an outfield player “has control” of the ball he’s allowed to be tackled. I suggest that if a GK is holding the ball and not gone to ground he should be allowed to be challenged for the ball as long as the challenge isn’t dangerous. I think goalkeepers need protection but at this point they get far too much.
  • Regardless what the rules state it’s quite ridiculous. If an outfield player “has control” of the ball he’s allowed to be tackled. I suggest that if a GK is holding the ball and not gone to ground he should be allowed to be challenged for the ball as long as the challenge isn’t dangerous. I think goalkeepers need protection but at this point they get far too much.

So the attacker can just stand there and keep pecking the ball with his head while the goalie tries to kick it out?

So the attacker can just stand there and keep pecking the ball with his head while the goalie tries to kick it out?
    No that would be stupid and assume the goalkeeper wouldn’t move. What I’m saying is that the gk should have to take some responsibility for being in possession of the ball. If he is negligent in that possession I fail to see why a non dangerous attempt to get the ball just as an outfield player can attempt to take the ball off an opponent shouldn’t be allowed. I think this changes if the gk is on the floor with the ball as this is an inherently more dangerous situation.
  • edited December 2018
    Law 12 covers it clearly:

the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands
    or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
    holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
    bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

I can't diagree with that law - the goalkeeper is not the same as an outfield player.

When the ball is not considered to be in control then a goalkeeper is fair game.

surely that 6 second rule went yonks ago, never see keepers pulled up on that
  • It’s been quite clear for the last 20-odd years that you can’t do it. I think he deserved a yellow for being a twat. And another yellow for arguing about it.

• MrLargo said:

They discussed on BT. Their retired ref in the studio (can't remember who it was) confirmed that the rules applying to this changed some time ago and you are no longer permitted to do a Crosby. The keeper no longer needs to have two hands on the ball to be deemed in control of it.

It is surprising that a lot of people still don't know this including some Sunday refs.