Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ballon D’or 2018 (Modric Winner)

Comments

• Options
    Martin Solveig asking the female winner to twerk is up there with the cringiest things ive ever witnessed.
  • Options

Martin Solveig asking the female winner to twerk is up there with the cringiest things ive ever witnessed.

I know. Twerking is sooooooooo last year.
  • Options

No way , how bizarre !!
  • Options
    Will never forget Modric's performance against us in the F A Cup in 2011 when he came on as a second-half sub and completely changed the game. He was untouchable that afternoon and had the speed of thought and balance we once saw briefly from Allan Simonsen (former European Player of the Year).
  • Options
    A lot of responses talking about how it's an individual award but basing that entirely on goals and assists, which don't display the way Modric can completely alter the flow of a game in his team's favour. I'm not married to the debate but you can perfectly well justify Modric winning it. Messi and Ronaldo are great players but midfield control can make all the difference in a game and Modric has consistently helped drag Real and Croatia through matches with his performances. The achievement of getting Croatia, a team without a top class striker to the World Cup final, is enormous in itself, but he was also a huge part of Real getting another Champions League victory by creating a platform for the other players to perform. He had a great year
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Think people need to look beyond goals and assists as a measure of a great player. According to that, a defender or goalkeeper wouldn't be able to win the top award. Not a fan of Real Madrid at all but what Modric has done for the team in the last three years, as well as for Croatia, has been exceptional. He is an amazingly talented player and it's great to see him win this as well as the other awards he got this year.
  • Options

People need to remember the Balloon Door is a individual persons award not a team award.

Did Barca win Champions League-No
    Did Argentina win World Cup-No

Do the above stats show Messi as the best performer of the year-Yes

So how has Messi not won

Right, and any other year that would be fine but in a World Cup year there is clearly going to be a heavy weighting towards performances in footballs most prestigious competition and Modric and Mbappe were stand outs from the tournament.

No surprise they won their respective categories and very well deserved in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Pointless award - the best two players in the world are Messi and Ronaldo. You can have a discussion who is the best of those two every year until another comes along and joins their level. That isn't to say Modric isn't one of the best players in the World, but who would take him over the first two?

The host asking the woman winner to twerk was shameful btw.
  • Options

Will never forget Modric's performance against us in the F A Cup in 2011 when he came on as a second-half sub and completely changed the game. He was untouchable that afternoon and had the speed of thought and balance we once saw briefly from Allan Simonsen (former European Player of the Year).

Modric in that game is probably the only world class player we've faced since relegation from the PL in 2007...
  • Options
    Might as well ignore the regular football season when there's a World Cup on. Modric is a great player and one of the very best I've seen live but over 12 months is he the best player in Europe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Might as well ignore the regular football season when there's a World Cup on. Modric is a great player and one of the very best I've seen live but over 12 months is he the best player in Europe?

Its the same with the Olympics though and SPOTY

Apart from 2016 when Andy Murray won the award, you have to go back to 1996 when the winner of the award wasnt a gold medalist which isnt a surprise seeing that we truly were shite at Atlanta!!
  • Options

Been totally taken out of context though and reported as this hugely sexist remark.

Hegerberg has commented since to say she knew it was a joke.

Completely blown out of proportion, as with most things these days.
  • Options

Its the same with the Olympics though and SPOTY

Apart from 2016 when Andy Murray won the award, you have to go back to 1996 when the winner of the award wasnt a gold medalist which isnt a surprise seeing that we truly were shite at Atlanta!!
    Murray also won an Olympic Gold medal in 2016!

20 years ago winning an Olympic Gold ensured national fame and a great chance of winning SPOTY. Now there are so many gold medal winners, that you have to be a multiple medal winner or win something else in addition to get SPOTY, Wiggins also won the TDF in 2012
  • Options

Been totally taken out of context though and reported as this hugely sexist remark.

A sense of proportion is hateful concept. Shame on you.
  • Options

Modric in that game is probably the only world class player we've faced since relegation from the PL in 2007...
    We've played against Lyle Taylor since then!!
  • Options

We played against Kyle Walker and Harry Maguire when they were at Sheffield United (not that either are at the same level as Luka) - Or do you mean he's the last we've faced when he was already World Class and not showing potential as a youngster
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Think people need to look beyond goals and assists as a measure of a great player. According to that, a defender or goalkeeper wouldn't be able to win the top award. Not a fan of Real Madrid at all but what Modric has done for the team in the last three years, as well as for Croatia, has been exceptional. He is an amazingly talented player and it's great to see him win this as well as the other awards he got this year.

the one that always stood out for me was back in 2014 when Neuer wins the league and cup with ease with Munich, the previous season won the champions league and that season reached the semis, plus won the world cup. is credited at that time in his career as being one of the best ever goalkeepers. great chance to show that an attacking outfield player isn't the only one who can win the award. (Lev Yashin back in 63 the only goalkeeper who has ever won it)

he comes third.
  • Options

the one that always stood out for me was back in 2014 when Neuer wins the league and cup with ease with Munich, the previous season won the champions league and that season reached the semis, plus won the world cup. is credited at that time in his career as being one of the best ever goalkeepers. great chance to show that an attacking outfield player isn't the only one who can win the award.

he comes third.
    Javier Mascherano is another - I remember Hodgson getting loads of ridicule because his vote had Mascherano | Lahm | Neuer on it in 2014 instead of going for either Cristiano Ronaldo or Leo Messi
  • Options

the one that always stood out for me was back in 2014 when Neuer wins the league and cup with ease with Munich, the previous season won the champions league and that season reached the semis, plus won the world cup. is credited at that time in his career as being one of the best ever goalkeepers. great chance to show that an attacking outfield player isn't the only one who can win the award.

he comes third.
    Javier Mascherano is another - I remember Hodgson getting loads of ridicule because his vote had Mascherano | Lahm | Neuer on it in 2014 instead of going for either Cristiano Ronaldo or Leo Messi
    One guy this year voted for Courtois and another for Benzema!!
  • Options

We played against Kyle Walker and Harry Maguire when they were at Sheffield United (not that either are at the same level as Luka) - Or do you mean he's the last we've faced when he was already World Class and not showing potential as a youngster
    Yes, I was thinking of players already at that high level. Glamorous cup ties since relegation in 2007 haven't exactly been a regular thing, indeed I'm struggling to think of too many games against PL opposition full stop
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

he comes third.
    Hodgson is a dinosaur but he was right there.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Yes, I was thinking of players already at that high level. Glamorous cup ties since relegation in 2007 haven't exactly been a regular thing, indeed I'm struggling to think of too many games against PL opposition full stop
    When we played Fulham the following year they had Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembélé

Again though Dempsey isnt probably World Class whilst Dembele probably wasnt quite at the level he is now - Spurs and Fulham are the only two Premier League sides that we've faced since dropping out of the Premier League though
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I doubt Solveig meant it maliciously, but it's still a proper face palm moment. Anyone engaging their brain for even a millisecond would be able to see how it would come across and how it would be taken.

Fifa official #1: "Hey guys, do you know what'd be really great? If we gave a ballon d'or to a women's player too to encourage and acknowledge the growth of the women's game and gender equality in football, and treat it with similar respect as the men's game."

Fifa official #2: "Yeah, that'd be a great thing to do!"

Fifa official #3: "And when we hand over the award, we can ask the girl to do a sexy dance for us all to say thank you!"

Fifa official #1: "Brilliant! I'm sure everyone will be most amused buy this, entirely hilarious, joke and won't in anyway see it as defeating the object of giving a female player an award like this, or in anyway crass, I mean... how could they possibly!"

We have a bunch of absolutely out of touch, idiots running the game, but we already knew that.

• Options

When we played Fulham the following year they had Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembélé

Again though Dempsey isnt probably World Class whilst Dembele probably wasnt quite at the level he is now - Spurs and Fulham are the only two Premier League sides that we've faced since dropping out of the Premier League though
    Also Palace in 2005 in the League Cup...
  • Options

We were still in the PL then
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Lionel Messi (5th) vs Kylian Mbappé (4th) since the start of last season:

Games played:

76 vs 67

Goals scored:

64 vs 39

Assists made:

27 vs 14

🧐

Where's Salah, Modric and Ronaldo's stats for the same period? Come on statto! :wink:

It's clear from @ForeverAddickted 's tweet that Messi would be most deserving, however I'm not sure I rate the most shots hit the post is something to be proud of...

If you were to ask who Charlton should take out of Messi, Ronaldo and Modric, I'd choose Modric, he'd be able to do more for us than the others, who'd just get kicked into the sky and probably end up with career ending injuries.
  • Options

Sorry typo, I meant the 2015 league cup defeat under Luzon
  • Options

Anyone that just lists goals and assists as a basis for a player being good is clueless.

There's so much more involved in playing a game of football.

Modric was the best player in the world by virtue of being the main midfield player in the best team in the world. Followed by being the main man in the second best team at the world Cup.

Agreed.
    Nobody questioned Kante being player of the year when Chelsea won the league. But the Ballon D'or always seems to descend into just a list of goal scoring stats for Messi and Ronaldo.
  • Options
    Ok if we are ever picking teams on the playground you can have Kante & Modric and i'll take Messi & Ronaldo and we will see who wins...