Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New York Yankees vs Boston Red Sox (London, Jun 2019)

2»

Comments

• Options
    £120 to sit in a bleacher seat that would probably cost $20 in the US is a bit naughty. I still reckon it'll sell out though.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Ive been looking forward to this all year. Pre registered for tickets on Monday so will be mighty pissed if they sell out cos of touts and casuals picking them up.

As for the sport, hopefully it will help the popularity in the UK.

I like cricket and baseball - but baseball has so much more depth to it imo.

But the really expensive seats are crazy expensive.

I like both too (follow the Mets) but funny you say that baseball has more depth as I have always felt the opposite - I consider for example the variety in the pitches, the impact of the weather, the change in the ball, the fielding positions (virtually fixed in baseball), the greater finesse in batting etc..

I've also always found it weird how baseball stadiums empty out by the 7th or 8th innings as it's so rare for a team to build a comeback from a few runs down given the efficacy of the closers - not that different from a 20/20 team being way behind the run rate with wickets down I guess, but seems to happen in the majority of matches.
  • Options
    Saw Yankees vs Red Sox a couple of years ago at Yankee Stadium for $20. Crazy prices for this London game.
  • Options

Not everyone can get Baseball, that's fine.

It's not obvious, like NFL, it's intricate, that's it's beauty.

This will sell out because it's a one off and there will be 60k people in Europe into the game, let alone ex-pat yanks.

I get that behind home plate and along the base lines are more expensive but the £140 seats are usually the cheap seats.

I'll wait for when the Cards come over.

Give it a couple of years and Woking might be visiting The Valley.

• Options
    Shocking prices for seats with distant views of the action. Was always likely to be pure greed when it was decided it was red sox and yanks. Would be interested to see how they would have priced it (and the take up) had it been MLB equivalent of Jags or similar rather than 2 games of the big boys in terms of brand recognition and rivalry.
  • Options
    For the price of a premium ticket you could pretty much fly to Boston and get a $20 ticket at Fenway Park. Used to love going there to watch a game.
  • Options
    Couldn’t have picked two better teams to sell it to the UK.

The ultimate one on one team sport, love it.
  • Options

Ive been looking forward to this all year. Pre registered for tickets on Monday so will be mighty pissed if they sell out cos of touts and casuals picking them up.

As for the sport, hopefully it will help the popularity in the UK.

I like cricket and baseball - but baseball has so much more depth to it imo.

But the really expensive seats are crazy expensive.

I like both too (follow the Mets) but funny you say that baseball has more depth as I have always felt the opposite - I consider for example the variety in the pitches, the impact of the weather, the change in the ball, the fielding positions (virtually fixed in baseball), the greater finesse in batting etc..

I've also always found it weird how baseball stadiums empty out by the 7th or 8th innings as it's so rare for a team to build a comeback from a few points down given the efficacy of the closers - not that different from a 20/20 team being way behind the run rate with wickets down I guess, but seems to happen in the majority of matches.
    Yes, cricket is a much more complicated and sophisticated game than baseball. I do enjoy baseball games whenever I've seen them though, tickets in the US are easy to get, especially as each regular game doesn't seem to mean that much, seeing that they play each other several days running! Saw games at Chicago and Yankees in 2015, tickets were easy enough to get, and there were empty seats in both stadiums
  • Options
    Baseball is probably America's most sublime sport. Ken Burns' documentary on the subject is enough all by itself to convert people to it. But £30 seems too much. They should have made it £15 and try to fill it and slowly build a cult following over the next decade, rather than making it an "event."
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Are there 98,000 baseball fans in London? Come to that, in the UK?

It's at West Ham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This will sell out because it's a one off and there will be 60k people in Europe into the game, let alone ex-pat yanks.

I get that behind home plate and along the base lines are more expensive but the £140 seats are usually the cheap seats.

Nope, sorry not having that

What is intricate about it and what makes it anything more than rounders longer bats?
  • Options
    Carter said:

What is intricate about it and what makes it anything more than rounders longer bats?
    The stats involved in the game are so deep - balancing out an offensive line up with the defence. Utilising the bullpen in the right way and knowing when to pull the starter for the right arm in the bullpen when you have 2 outs in the 7th, stealing bases, do you bunt to get on base...... in test cricket you can have 3 overs of leaving a ball. Basically nothing happens. In baseball you at least get something every at bat..... a hit, a run, a homer, a steal, a strike out, a foul tip, pop up. I have had baseballs fans watch cricket with me (a game I love) and they always ask when is something going to happen.
  • Options
    I quite like baseball but don't exactly agree with your comments. I've seen very good matches but I've also been bored stupid. The concept of four wide pitches to make the best batsman walk is one of the worst aspects of the game - you don't see that in cricket.

I'm really not sure this will work in the same way the American football has. Baseball has never had decent UK TV exposure (and there's a reason for that!) and I can't see it attracting anyone other than enthusiasts. I wouldn't go if I were in London at the time, even though I did go to a match in Japan earlier in the year (£15 and a free shirt as well!).

Carter said:

The stats involved in the game are so deep - balancing out an offensive line up with the defence. Utilising the bullpen in the right way and knowing when to pull the starter for the right arm in the bullpen when you have 2 outs in the 7th, stealing bases, do you bunt to get on base...... in test cricket you can have 3 overs of leaving a ball. Basically nothing happens. In baseball you at least get something every at bat..... a hit, a run, a homer, a steal, a strike out, a foul tip, pop up. I have had baseballs fans watch cricket with me (a game I love) and they always ask when is something going to happen.
  • Options
    I'll prob try and get tickets, but assume the views gonna be awful, going be so far from the action. Bet the beer isnt at 'baseball prices' either, always helps encourage a good atmosphere!!
  • Options
    scruffle said:

I'll prob try and get tickets, but assume the views gonna be awful, going be so far from the action. Bet the beer isnt at 'baseball prices' either, always helps encourage a good atmosphere!!

$10 for a ‘pint’ of watered down Budweiser always hits the spot
  • Options

scruffle said:

$10 for a ‘pint’ of watered down Budweiser always hits the spot
    I didn't know it was possible to water down Budweiser!
  • Options
    I really like baseball and have watched a lot when in the states. Was really looking forward to taking my son to this, but those prices? Don't think I'll bother.
  • Options
    Had registered for pre-sale and was very keen as I love baseball, follow the Red Sox, and have never seen it like before.

But not sure I'll be paying those prices - crazy stuff.
  • Options
    8 tickets each in the presale is mental, these will mostly go to resellers
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I quite like baseball but don't exactly agree with your comments. I've seen very good matches but I've also been bored stupid. The concept of four wide pitches to make the best batsman walk is one of the worst aspects of the game - you don't see that in cricket.

I'm really not sure this will work in the same way the American football has. Baseball has never had decent UK TV exposure (and there's a reason for that!) and I can't see it attracting anyone other than enthusiasts. I wouldn't go if I were in London at the time, even though I did go to a match in Japan earlier in the year (£15 and a free shirt as well!).

Carter said:

Baseball was actually building quite a following thanks to Channel 5 broadcasting games for more than than 10 years back in the late 90s and 2000s. It's not so visible these days unfortunately but I think there's still a significant chunk of those people who follow the game on-line or subscribe to MLB@bat to get their games/highlights. There's certainly an audience for baseball in the UK but to build on it will need consistent investment over time like the NFL have done.

I will definitely be going, but convincing any of my friends to come along at those prices will be a bit of an ask.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Carter said:

Baseball was actually building quite a following thanks to Channel 5 broadcasting games for more than than 10 years back in the late 90s and 2000s. It's not so visible these days unfortunately but I think there's still a significant chunk of those people who follow the game on-line or subscribe to MLB@bat to get their games/highlights. There's certainly an audience for baseball in the UK but to build on it will need consistent investment over time like the NFL have done.

I will definitely be going, but convincing any of my friends to come along at those prices will be a bit of an ask.
    I used to occasionally watch those games, it would have been better timing to have the game in the UK alongside mainstream broadcasting like the way the BBC covers the NFL and Superbowl
  • Options
    scruffle said:

And baseball stadiums are designed so that beer sellers can walk around to you or with easy to reach concourses, whereas the London Stadium has nothing in the upper tier, it's a long walk down to get anything!
  • Options

Missed It said:

Carter said:

I used to occasionally watch those games, it would have been better timing to have the game in the UK alongside mainstream broadcasting like the way the BBC covers the NFL and Superbowl
    Although showing games that started at 1am was not exactly convenient, it was ideal for Channel 5 as it filled hours of overnight broadcast time and for a live game without a time limit that could easily run on for 4+ hours that was really the only place for a terrestrial broadcaster to put it. I would set the video to record the games and watch them at a sensible time later anyway.

The NFL have it easy with UK TV times really, most games are during the day at the weekend so the time difference isn't such a problem. The weekly schedule lends itself easily to a weekly highlight programme. Baseball games are mostly played in the evening and its a 7 month long everyday grind of 162 games which doesn't fit so well with an easy to digest weekly highlight package.

• Options

scruffle said:

And baseball stadiums are designed so that beer sellers can walk around to you or with easy to reach concourses, whereas the London Stadium has nothing in the upper tier, it's a long walk down to get anything!
    I went to see the Yankees this summer and came away with the idea that baseball was literally invented just to sell shit food and merch at the highest price.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

scruffle said:

I went to see the Yankees this summer and came away with the idea that baseball was literally invented just to sell shit food and merch at the highest price.
    Did you get a nacho hat?!

Drink prices in the states are mental. Easily over double our high end sport concourse rate.
  • Options

shine166 said:

scruffle said:

Drink prices in the states are mental. Easily over double our high end sport concourse rate.
    I didn't think they were especially high, What got me was having to provide Age ID!
  • Options
    Nug said:

I really like baseball and have watched a lot when in the states. Was really looking forward to taking my son to this, but those prices? Don't think I'll bother.

This. I've been nagging two old friends from NY that 2019 is the year they must finally pay us a visit, despite their precarious finances (they are both big Yankees fans). But these prices are stupidly high
  • Options

shine166 said:

scruffle said:

I didn't think they were especially high, What got me was having to provide Age ID!
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/202666/beer-prices-in-major-league-baseball-by-team/
  • Options

shine166 said:

scruffle said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/202666/beer-prices-in-major-league-baseball-by-team/
    As if there weren't already lots of good reasons to move to Colorado...