Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help to prevent our countryside falling silent

Comments

• Had a pair of Jays in the garden the other day, what a racket! And as for those bloody parakeets...
  • Riviera said:

Had a pair of Jays in the garden the other day, what a racket! And as for those bloody parakeets...

The parakeets are a bit of a curse in London now, especially south and west London as their racket drowns out every other bird!
  • Riviera said:

Had a pair of Jays in the garden the other day, what a racket! And as for those bloody parakeets...

The parakeets are a bit of a curse in London now, especially south and west London as their racket drowns out every other bird!
    They need controlling and are on the general licence
  • Riviera said:

They need controlling and are on the general licence
    The big question is, how do they taste?
  • I live near Hampstead Heath so often hear owls at night (Tawny and Barn than is, not Wednesday fans having fun in the bushes)
  • Since we've moved into Kent haven't seen any Parakeets thankfully.
    Mind you, there are a few Buzzards and Sparrowhawks around our neck of the woods, so I doubt they would last long.
  • Parakeets are a beautiful and weird addition to North West Kent and South East London

When I used to work up that way it was worth being aware of the existence of them and not to park a vehicle anywhere near where they hang out as they shit a phenomenal amount, shit that quite often contains gravel and obliterates car paintwork

I love seeing them mobbed up and being a menace, apparently they are all descendants of one escapee family from years ago. mental!
  • Carter said:

Parakeets are a beautiful and weird addition to North West Kent and South East London

When I used to work up that way it was worth being aware of the existence of them and not to park a vehicle anywhere near where they hang out as they shit a phenomenal amount, shit that quite often contains gravel and obliterates car paintwork

I love seeing them mobbed up and being a menace, apparently they are all descendants of one escapee family from years ago. mental!

There's a big mob of them that decimate the apple tree in our back garden in late summer/autumn. I like to see and hear them but they do make a bloody racket when they gang up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

Parakeets are a beautiful and weird addition to North West Kent and South East London

There's a big mob of them that decimate the apple tree in our back garden in late summer/autumn. I like to see and hear them but they do make a bloody racket when they gang up!
    Yeah you can't miss them can you either by being bright green or by the noise they make

They are just loving life and don't give one shit about the consequences
  • I frequently get buzzed by a load of the bastards when walking through Chinbrook meadows. They ain’t shit on me yet......but it’s only a matter of time.
  • Carter said:

They look nice but it's frustrating when all you can hear is their screeching, with all other bird song drown out!

I imagine the smaller birds of prey will start moving in to their areas and targeting them, as they are quite easy to spot! I once saw a sparrowhawk eating a pigeon in my parents' garden in Dartford, so they aren't unwilling to move into gardens and urban parks.
  • This autumn, I've seen a sparrowhawk perched on a bird table in my back garden many times. I've not seen it eat any of the small birds' food, but I can't say it doesn't. It shouldn't be eating the seed, so the only thing that would make sense is suet pellets (although they are mostly flour). More probably, it is simply keeping still and hoping some unwary bird or wood mouse will show itself.

The received wisdom is that a raptor in a suburban garden at this time of year is one of this year's chicks, which face a very high attrition rate as they wander around, needing to hunt while searching for a territory to call their own. Maybe they are beginning to settle into urban and suburban areas.
  • around here (Nth E Lincs) Blackbirds and other seasonal visitors tend to nest, breed and 'live' in suburban gardens where hedges and trees are plentiful when compared to large tracts of 'countryside' given over to extensive agriculture .. mind you there's an increasing need to grow stuff to eat ..
    along the Lincolnshire coast and into Norfolk there are many areas where sea birds breed and flourish. Gulls are protected, and don't they know it ((:>) .. many move inland during winter and some of the little bastards like to crap on my cars and windows
  • I miss the parakeets since moving from SE London but here in darkest East Sussex we see plenty of buzzards, the odd Sparrowhawk and to see an Owl in flight is a wonderful thing especially if it's a Barn Owl.
  • The decline in birds of almost all kinds in the last 30 years is shocking. Some species are down by 90%. I think it's mainly down to loss of habitat or lack of the right food at the right time.
    On the upside I see Red Kites several times a week in north London, which would have been unthinkable once.
  • Parakeets are a potential threat to native British songbirds
  • edited November 2018

Parakeets are a potential threat to native British songbirds

Agreed and you're just the man to reduce their numbers, fancy a busman's holiday? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• My house back onto train tracks, so there's a nice artery for wildlife despite being in the city centre... And there's a small wildlife reserve on the other side. Get the occasional muntjac deer in the garden. Also see plenty of slow worms, newts, toads and frogs, bats, and all manner of birds. Jays are my particular favourites. Also seen foxes and evidence of badgers.
  • Uboat said:

The decline in birds of almost all kinds in the last 30 years is shocking. Some species are down by 90%. I think it's mainly down to loss of habitat or lack of the right food at the right time.
    On the upside I see Red Kites several times a week in north London, which would have been unthinkable once.

Monoculture means a glut of food for insects for a short time and then total famine. The effect on the birds is through the food chain, of course, all the way up to the top predators.
  • No coincidence that the number of paved driveways has gone up and the number of birds has gone down.

Many of us will also remember having our gardens separated by hedges instead of 6 ft panels.

Take into account that areas that can be used for nesting are taken over by parakeets and you got a problem.

You can put as much bird food out as you like but if they have nowhere to overwinter or breed then we are never gonna get the numbers back.

• I don't live too far away from @largeaddick and confirm that bird life abounds around here my bird table has had visits today from a sparrow hawk and a couple of woodpeckers not to mention half a dozen pheasants...plenty of owls around here

Used to live in area colonised by the parakeets but as attractive and unusual as they are I don't like them around as they encroach on the native flora and fauna
  • Ravens on the cliffs here
  • bobmunro said:

I miss the parakeets since moving from SE London but here in darkest East Sussex we see plenty of buzzards, the odd Sparrowhawk and to see an Owl in flight is a wonderful thing especially if it's a Barn Owl.

Owls are amazing - there's a huge barn owl that hunts in and around my garden and I see him most nights (I'm assuming it's the same one!!). We also have a colony of bats in the eaves and love watching them appear one by one and start hunting.

The other morning I was out in the garden having a cuppa and I saw, in no particular order, squirrels, rabbits, magpies, crows, collared doves, jays, blue tits, a pair of buzzards soaring up above being buzzed by crows, and a male pheasant wandering around aimlessly looking for females no doubt.

For a townie at heart that takes some getting used to, but I love it.
    Bats are ok but try having a shower with one and then trying to get it out of your house.

• Ravens on the cliffs here

Baltimore?
  • <
    Daddy_Pig said:

No coincidence that the number of paved driveways has gone up and the number of birds has gone down.

Many of us will also remember having our gardens separated by hedges instead of 6 ft panels.

Take into account that areas that can be used for nesting are taken over by parakeets and you got a problem.

You can put as much bird food out as you like but if they have nowhere to overwinter or breed then we are never gonna get the numbers back.

That's exactly why they need food putting out for them and bird boxes. Lots of birds emigrate in the winter for the exact reason of it being nicer if they head South but the ones who stay need energy especially if they are hunting for places to live
  • I regularly see bats and hear owls and woodpeckers here in Beckenham. Parakeets everywhere.