Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Options
    I see that Gills are hoping Eaves goes in January for money as he has turned down a new contract. They think £250k is the best they can get.
  • Options

very interesting just had Shaun Derry come in the shop who is assistant to Robinson at Oxford, was chatting to him, and saying about how season is going injuries etc, both agreed Sunderland and Pompey should be in automatics, but mentioned players out of contract will determine what happens with January window, he reckons Birmingham are in for Aribo. With Robinson giving him his chance wonder whether he has the inside knowledge from his agent.

I thought Birmingham had a transfer embargo imposed.
  • Options

very interesting just had Shaun Derry come in the shop who is assistant to Robinson at Oxford, was chatting to him, and saying about how season is going injuries etc, both agreed Sunderland and Pompey should be in automatics, but mentioned players out of contract will determine what happens with January window, he reckons Birmingham are in for Aribo. With Robinson giving him his chance wonder whether he has the inside knowledge from his agent.

I thought Birmingham had a transfer embargo imposed.
    Yeah they currently are... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45000403
  • Options

Redrobo said:

I see that Gills are hoping Eaves goes in January for money as he has turned down a new contract. They think £250k is the best they can get.

Shame thats £249,999 more than what Roland would be willing to pay for anyone
    I would be extremely surprised if Roland allows us to spend a penny in January. The best we are going to get is keeping our players, resigning Ward and signing a left back. - Eaves would be great but as already mentioned, that’s spending money that I just can’t see happening. Which is a real shame because what is £250,000 to him when it could be the difference between us getting promoted or not?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sage said:

Redrobo said:

I would be extremely surprised if Roland allows us to spend a penny in January. The best we are going to get is keeping our players, resigning Ward and signing a left back. - Eaves would be great but as already mentioned, that’s spending money that I just can’t see happening. Which is a real shame because what is £250,000 to him when it could be the difference between us getting promoted or not?
    Not to mention £250k for a top league scorer at any level in the Football League is a steal!!

Take the Bradley Dack move to Blackburn for £750k as an example at how well that one worked out

Would be much more ideal having four Strikers of: Taylor | Grant | Eaves | Ajose or Vetokele - Only way we'll get Ward back is either on loan or if Forest decide to tear up his Contract - Even then there may be a Championship club like Ipswich or Millwall struggling who have been impressed with his League performances for us and are so able to offer a better signing on fee
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with strengthening the squad of course, but if Eaves was to sign for us, you'd assume he'd want some guarantees over playing. Who do we drop for him to start?
  • Options
    Millwall look the favs to sign Eaves, his goals will keep them up.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Redrobo said:

I think he may spend a bit if he is no closer to selling. Getting promotion could get him more money and this season is the closest he is likely to get without spending a lot more - £8 million a season for a start!

If he does not back Bows there is a good chance that another club could come in for him, players will not re-sign, new manager and players required, etc etc. I really think it is now or never for him to get anything back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But then Eaves is taking a big step up from his current club regardless

He's probably got three choices

(1) He goes to a struggling Championship club, that club is likely to be struggling because they cant create chances let alone score them so may well struggle himself to make an impact - Regardless he may find himself back in League One next year if that side gets relegated

(2) He goes to a League One club fighting for promotion, think it would be the best outcome for him (not just because Charlton fall into this category) as the club would be on an upward curve, the downside in that respect is he may have to wait for his chance and get less game time.

(3) He goes to a mid table (at worst) Championship club like what Jack Marriott did in the summer... Again though he probably has to expect a spell on the bench waiting for his opportunity.

Ultimately he's 26 years of age and until he moved to Gillingham last season had never reached double figures with his goals tally - Nor is he overly fast which what Championship clubs ideally need in a Striker (hence why I think we may struggle to keep Karlan Grant) because the target men end up being out muscled by strong Defenders; part of me does wonder if he's finally found his mojo in Kent and may struggle regardless of where he goes
  • Options

Nothing wrong with strengthening the squad of course, but if Eaves was to sign for us, you'd assume he'd want some guarantees over playing. Who do we drop for him to start?

Would be a nice problem to have, Taylor isn't 100% fit most of the time so you could alternate him and KG. Dont ever see him getting us this window unfortunately, i hope he doesn't go to Millwank as i rate him and he will do well this league or Championship imo
  • Options

Ultimately he's 26 years of age and until he moved to Gillingham last season had never reached double figures with his goals tally - Part of me does wonder if he's finally found his mojo in Kent and may struggle regardless of where he goes

Although I had the above concerns about Lyle Taylor when he signed for us in the summer - I think I'm naturally wary of clubs going after Strikers purely because of where they are in the scoring charts because of how Ajose has settled here

i.e. take Jack Marriott for example... scored just eight goals with Luton prior to his move to Peterborough

Your scoring record at one club, means squat at another!! - I guess if we did go in for Eaves then we should be happy as Gallen and Bowyer's records speak for themselves and wont be signing him solely on Spreadsheet stats like our previous signing history
  • Options
    Gillinghams Czech GK Thomas Holy has also said he isnt signing a new contract
  • Options
    Both Eaves and Thomas Holy want Championship football

• Options

Millwall look the favs to sign Eaves, his goals will keep them up.

Would potentially be a good strike partner for Neil Gregory (and so be a long term replacement the ageing Steve Morrison) if he can make the step up to the Championship
  • Options
    edited December 2018

God he was a pain in the arse when we played them last season

Havent forgotten him either and reckon he'll be just as difficult again on Saturday to get the ball past
  • Options
    Peterborough look set to sign Lee Tomlin on loan from Cardiff...
  • Options

Havent forgotten him either and reckon he'll be just as difficult again on Saturday to get the ball past
    Other teams don't seem to have much trouble.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Eaves will go to wherever pays the most money. That’s the case with 99% of transfers. He’s in his prime and a good contract now sets him up. I’m sure the division will come into it but if it’s a choice between eg. Rotherham or Portsmouth then he will go where the money is regardless of division.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Nope but this is Charlton dont forget
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Then he's overdue to have 5 put past him at TheValley on Saturday! :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Bloody hope so... Its not a Derby like the Gillingham fans like to think but look forward to this fixture a bit more since I moved to Medway and want revenge for the double they did over us last season
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Bloody hope so... Its not a Derby like the Gillingham fans like to think but look forward to this fixture a bit more since I moved to Medway and want revenge for the double they did over us last season
    It's certainly a Derby to the Jills ...... they haven't really got any other club nearer to them.

And, of course like yourself, Forever - there's loads of Charlton living and working amongst them, to give this game an edge.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

It's certainly a Derby to the Jills ...... they haven't really got any other club nearer to them.

And, of course like yourself, Forever - there's loads of Charlton living and working amongst them, to give this game an edge.

Would the Gills consider Southend as a derby game? Its probably closer as the crow flies but there's that big river in between.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Aiden White on trial LB, Potentially new GK, number 10. Also looking for frees and players clubs needing to move out of contract.

So Eaves and Holy fit perfectly into that
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Aiden White on trial LB, Potentially new GK, number 10. Also looking for frees and players clubs needing to move out of contract.

Aiden White, haven’t heard about him for a while. Initially done very well at Leeds but has struggled for a little while since. A small, quick player who definitely fits the mould of that attacking left back Bowyer has mentioned. Personally if he proved his fitness, I think he could be a good signing.

A new keeper? - does that mean Steer is going back to Villa or Phillips is moving on permanently to get game time and therefore we need another keeper? That’s an odd one to me.

Another number 10 would assume we won’t be resigning Ward, which would be a shame but maybe that player could well be Alan Judge? He hasn’t played masses for Brentford since his broken leg recovery last year, mainly been on the bench so that might be something we could pursue again?

I don’t think we can afford to bring in too many, yes we have a small squad but you need to be careful you don’t disrupt anything. A couple of very good additions to the squad, keep key players and get players fit and I think that’s what we need.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

According to wiki White is 27 and hasnt played a game since his loan move to Barnsley in the 15/16 season

So over 2 years with no football