Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Mansfield | Tue 20 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Mansfield Town
Tuesday 20th November 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
FA Cup 1st Round Proper (Replay)

Introduction

And so we go again… On the 11th November; Charlton and Mansfield would meet in Nottinghamshire in what was a FA Cup 1st Round clash… 1-1 was the final score that day which means the two teams will go at it again tomorrow night, both teams will go into this match conscious that both had the chances to win the game, yet for Mansfield they must be wondering if they’ve wasted their opportunity as they no longer have the support of the home crowd.

Charlton though have a habit of not showing up in cup games, meaning this is a match that both could win, for the victors: Chorley or Doncaster Rovers stand in the way of a potential big clash, one way or another… we will have a winner tomorrow night!!

The Opposition
Name: Mansfield Town | Manager: David Flitcroft
Best FA Cup Result: Quarter-Finals (1968/69)

Unlike Charlton; Mansfield go into the game tomorrow having had the advantage of keeping match fit – As expected within League Two, not many games get called off due to International commitments, meaning there was no need for Mansfield’s game to be called off on Saturday…

Playing host to Port Vale; the Stags would continue their good form this season and would record a 1-0 win… CJ Hamilton scoring his second goal in as many matches for the home side to settle the tie before half-time - Indeed a player who appears to have caught the eye of Lee Bowyer, and based on his comments after the FA Cup clash last Sunday, is one that Steve Gallen may now be watching past and future tabs on.

The 23-year old from Harlow hasn’t had the fastest of starts in Football and having been let go by Sheffield United (without making an appearance) would be forced to kick start his career with Mansfield in 2016, having previously impressed whilst on loan at Gateshead – The FA Cup has a strong habit of improving players careers, could it be about to do the same for Hamilton?

Let’s hope he can hold off making it two in two against the Addicks!!

Charlton Team News
In the aftermath of last Sunday; Lee Bowyer would confirm that a replay tomorrow night was the worst possible result for Charlton yet in some ways it could be beneficial as we approach a typically packed festive period in the Football season

Billy Clarke fresh from making his first team return last week, would go on to play seventy seven minutes in the Football League Trophy two days later – You’d expect the Republic of Ireland midfielder to potentially complete his comeback from injury by playing the full 90-minutes tomorrow and so put himself in contention for what’ll be a rare League One tie this month… So too could return is the reliable German: Patrick Bauer; Lee Bowyer would advise of his participation against Swansea last week, having missed that clash you’d hope he’s simply been held back for the more seriousness of this one!!

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr | Stevenson
Marshall | Clarke | Pratley | Fosu
Grant | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Bielik | Lapslie | Morgan | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Cup games are never easy to predict for Charlton as its impossible to tell which side may turn up and whether progression is even a priority amongst the squad – As mentioned previous previews though; these cup competitions wont end with any silverware for the Addicks this year, but they’ll certainly help players to get back to match fitness so long may our run continue I say!! – Whether that happens though, is another matter!!

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • 2 - 1 Charlton , Grant and Sarr. ( sounds like a company of solicitors )
  • Tough replay, Mansfield could/should have won the first tie and will be well up for this .. if we put out a strong side, and we should, it'll be a home win after a right good scrap ..

CAFC 2 v Mansfield Town 0
  • Tough replay, Mansfield could/should have won the first tie and will be well up for this .. if we put out a strong side, and we should, it'll be a home win after a right good scrap ..

CAFC 2 v Mansfield Town 0

The last thing Bowyer will want is a right good scrap.
    0-1
  • Working in London today and tomorrow - so will go to this. Hope to see some effort to win it.... 2-1 and onto the next exciting adventure.
  • We have to win this just so that in a couple of weeks I can go to football on a Saturday.
    I hate Saturdays when we ain't playing.
    3.1 the mighty Addicks
  • It all depends how serious we take it. I suspect the usual disapointing evening but happy to be proved wrong!
  • I think this will be a tough game and that Mansfield will be well up for it. I see they’ve also received an official apology for Toby Stevenson’s ‘offside goal’ from the Referees’ Association.

Taylor is a big loss and I think we’ll struggle if we play a significantly weakened side.
  • Flitcroft's view of the first leg, especially Hamilton
    https://youtu.be/cAEuWEn-ih0

• Sponsored links:

• After our enforced break, I expect us to be firing on all cylinders.

0-1.
  • Possible wet and damp night under the lights, youngsters to the rescue 2-0
  • Hackett-Fairchild started for our u23s today so doubt if he will appear in the squad.
  • If Bauer plays, even though not match fit, brings a lot of experience, so I am going for 2-0. If he does not start, no idea
  • Should win. Classic Charlton banana skin.
  • We'll sneak it after extra time.
  • Playing kids, out of favour players & injured returnees against a side that hasn't lost in ages means only 1 thing. Defeat.

1-2.

• edited November 2018

Playing kids, out of favour players & injured returnees against a side that hasn't lost in ages means only 1 thing. Defeat.

1-2.

Interesting.. considering that’s what we done away at Mansfield and drew, I’m struggling a little as to how that is the only outcome here.

Personally think we will get the win. Clarke to hopefully play as many minutes as possible, pushing a full 90 would be excellent. Even better if Bauer comes into the side.

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr
    Marshall Pratley Lapslie Stevenson
    Clarke
    Ajose Grant

2-0 win
  • Hope we give it a proper good go. I’m already freezing on the way to work and if I’m gonna sit in similar temperatures I hope we’re up for it
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevenson is playing so we’ll score.

2-1 Mansfield.
  • Struggle through 2-1
  • Mansfield on penalties
  • Be surprised if Lapslie doesn’t start to be honest. Be good to see BFG back.

2-0 Addicks.
  • No player likes to lose, at least I hope not, so we should have too much quality for them and will sweep to a convincing 3-0 win in front of a crowd of 30.
  • We win 5 -0 in front of 5 people
  • We'll sneak it after extra time.

Please, no extra time, for the love of God.
    Obviously I hope we can do it in 90. Maybe Bows and their gaffer can try and agree with the ref to go straight to pens of level after 90.
  • Mansfield will be well up for this, their cup final, day out in the big city, chance to do some giant killing, we always lose against Mansfield at home etc etc so can't see past a 0-5 defeat.
  • With a "winnable" next round, I hope we will go for it and have a bit of a cup run for a change. It now looks pretty certain we will not achieve an automatic promotion place this season but I think we can make a playoff spot even with the pressure of some extra FA Cup games.
    It would be very warming for the faithful to enjoy some of that FA Cup romance again. It's been a long time!
    COYR!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!