Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Samsung Galaxy S9

Wondering if anyone has this phone and can recommend it?

Basically my own phone (the Samsung Galaxy S6) appears to be on the way out; I didnt bother renewing at the end of my two year Contract and deliberately kept it until this time as dont see the point of renewing every two years just for the sake of it - Looking around have noticed that Carphone Warehouse are doing a damned good EE contract of £33 for two years with 15GB of Data and Unlimited texts / calls as part of the Black Friday deals - Its almost one of those deals that seems too good to be true especially as the S9 was only released early this year and makes me wonder whats wrong with it, hence asking for opinion on here?

Note; dont bother to recommend an iPhone, I dont like them and wont ever get one...

For example I love the ease of access of an Android phone for just dragging music into the folders without having to use something like iTunes etc.

Comments

• Options
    I've got one and though I'm not an expert I find it very good. I upgraded from S7 last year and I couldn't honestly tell you the difference, but it does everything I want, screen is great, no problems etc.
    I wouldn't go with EE, because here in High Barnet it means you can't make a phonecall in your own house, but if coverage is good where you are, go for it.
  • Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the S9, the price of it will start to come down slowly now with the new Note out and the S10 due out within the next 4 months. The foldable phone they've done could end up coming out within that time frame.
  • Options
    Would recommend the s9 plus. Larger screen without the phone being too much bigger. Great battery life for me. Great phone.
  • Options
    I know nothing about the s9 but had to like your post because of the iphone comment.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I know nothing about the s9 but had to like your post because of the iphone comment.

Its bloody useless for it!!... Had to connect my wife's iPad to try and add something the other day and had to jump through so many hoops, I ended up getting into a rage which saw my keyboard being slammed down on the desk (Didnt achieve anything other than making me feel so so much better) - Had I been doing the same task with an Android phone its a case of connecting the phone to the USB Port, opening the two respective folders on my computer / phone and simply copying the file(s) from one to the other; job done in a matter of bloody seconds!!
  • Options
    I'm in the same position as you, got an s7 and currently looking at deals for the s9. Ideally wanted the s9 plus but seems to be quite a bit more expensive!

Mobiles.co.uk have got the same deal with EE (£33 per month, 25 month contract), however you get 30GB of data instead of the 15GB that Carphone Warehouse are offering.

I've been holding off until this week as suspect there will be some Black Friday Deals around.
  • Options
    I got a Huawei Mate 20 pro yesterday, best cameras on a phone you can get, 50 minutes to charge the battery, 2 days battery with normal usage (obviously if your on your phone all day that will drop) has the latest version of Android, and pretty much outperforms every other current phone if the reviews are to be believed. I did a fair bit of research before going with it and so far very happy with the choice.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I got a Huawei Mate 20 pro yesterday, best cameras on a phone you can get, 50 minutes to charge the battery, 2 days battery with normal usage (obviously if your on your phone all day that will drop) has the latest version of Android, and pretty much outperforms every other current phone if the reviews are to be believed. I did a fair bit of research before going with it and so far very happy with the choice.

Have been looking at the Huawei P20 (not the Pro)... Is there much difference between those two?

Or is it basically like comparing the S9 with the S9 Plus?
  • Options

Would recommend the s9 plus. Larger screen without the phone being too much bigger. Great battery life for me. Great phone.

Another vote for the 9+ upgraded from a 7
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have been looking at the Huawei P20 (not the Pro)... Is there much difference between those two?

Or is it basically like comparing the S9 with the S9 Plus?
    I've upgraded from the P20 pro!! Differences between that and the standard P20 are - bigger battery, triple camera set up rather than a dual one, water resistance and more RAM on the Pro.
    Generally Huawei make really good devices, it's the software that let's them down, but, the last couple of versions of the 'skin' they put over android have been fine once you work out where all the different settings menus are, I'd recommend a Huawei device.
  • Options
    Get an iPhone... :-)
  • Options

Get an iPhone... :-)

FECK 'AWF!!!
  • Options
    I have a Huawei P20 Pro - love it. Camera is amazing, screen brilliant, super fast charging and the best smart phone battery I have ever had. Easily get two days use with a fair bit of use. 128gb memory is decent as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Agree with the others on the Huawei p20 Pro, best decision I've made when changing phones. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

The battery is the most surprising part. Some much power and tech packed into a phone that can easily last 2 days of extensive use.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Samsung Switch also allows you to transfer data from old phone to new wirelessly - by opening the app on both devices and ticking what you want to move across. Takes a few minutes.
  • Options

Samsung switch also allows you to transfer data from old phone to new wirelessly - by opening the app on both devices and ticking what you want to move across. Takes a few minutes.

There is also an app that let's you transfer from any android to Huawei during the p20's setup.
  • Options
    Huawei are certainly making strides into the Western market. But for now I'd still choose Samsung.
  • Options

Samsung switch also allows you to transfer data from old phone to new wirelessly - by opening the app on both devices and ticking what you want to move across. Takes a few minutes.

There is also an app that let's you transfer from any android to Huawei during the p20's setup.
    Works for Apple as well. I went from an iPhone 7.
  • Options
    A lot of people seem to be moving away from IPhone.
    Overpriced and overhyped IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A lot of people seem to be moving away from IPhone.
    Overpriced and overhyped IMO.

Sounds like the same is happening with Samsung too... Both iPhone and them have dominated the Smartphone market for the last few years yet with the Google Pixel now emerging along with the Huawei range, it no longer seems a two horse race
  • Options
    Amazon offering competitive deals on Samsung and Huawei phones to purchase.
  • Options
    I've convinced my girlfriend to move away from iPhone on the condition I get her a new phone for Christmas. All she really uses it for is the camera, Facebook and WhatsApp so I'm not breaking the bank... Have ordered a Xiaomi Mi a2 lite, no doubt I'll get "who the f*ck are they?" comments.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I've convinced my girlfriend to move away from iPhone on the condition I get her a new phone for Christmas. All she really uses it for is the camera, Facebook and WhatsApp so I'm not breaking the bank... Have ordered a Xiaomi Mi a2 lite, no doubt I'll get "who the f*ck are they?" comments.

Is a big risk that...

My wife's iPhone 5S finally went to pot earlier this year so suggested she either get the iPhone SE or Samsung A5 and try something that wasnt iPhone; she tried the latter and now get constant comments of: "I hate this phone, cant wait to go back to iPhone"
  • Options
    Have had and a s8 for a year and it's the dogs danglies so can only imagine the 9 is even better
    IPhones are over rated and over priced
    But I do have video ipod that I've had for over 10 years and is still going strong
  • Options

Talal said:

Is a big risk that...

My wife's iPhone 5S finally went to pot earlier this year so suggested she either get the iPhone SE or Samsung A5 and try something that wasnt iPhone; she tried the latter and now get constant comments of: "I hate this phone, cant wait to go back to iPhone"
    If she hates it I'll keep it, currently have a 1st gen huawei nova which I'm perfectly happy with but the xiaomi does have more ram and storage.

Does your wife use anything like nova launcher? I believe it can imitate the look/layout of an iPhone.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Talal said:

Is a big risk that...

If she hates it I'll keep it, currently have a 1st gen huawei nova which I'm perfectly happy with but the xiaomi does have more ram and storage.

Does your wife use anything like nova launcher? I believe it can imitate the look/layout of an iPhone.
    I've personally tried Nova Launcher myself in the past but havent really liked it - I'll take a look into it though and see if I can find a guide to make it imitate the look and layout of an iPhone for her though; cheers
  • Options

Talal said:

Talal said:

Is a big risk that...

I've personally tried Nova Launcher myself in the past but havent really liked it - I'll take a look into it though and see if I can find a guide to make it imitate the look and layout of an iPhone for her though; cheers
    You want something like iLauncher. Basically replicates iPhone on Android. There's quite a few of them out there, Nova won't do it but others are specifically designed for it.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Xiaomi, Huawei and the other Chinese brands are considered the better choices to switch to from an iPhone as they try to mimic IOS in the menus and home screen set up. The Pocofone from Xiaomi is a really good device for the price, they now have a shop in London so would be easy to return should your girlfriend not get on with a device from them if you get one.
  • Options
    I'd recommend checking out the Sony Xperia XZ3 too