Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Copenhagen

Out here until Sunday afternoon, anyone been who could suggest some ideas of what to go and see? Got here this afternoon, been for a little booch about this evening but only really managed dinner at some nice little restaurant off the beaten track somewhere. Was gonna try and push on for a bar somewhere but proper shattered, will leave all that until 2mo and sat Eve I think.

Printed off a list of places to visit in the day. A hop on hop off bus is a must for me, think they are good for city breaks. Apart from that I'm open to suggestions. Anyone with any ideas for the day or night, would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

Out here until Sunday afternoon, anyone been who could suggest some ideas of what to go and see? ...

The Brexit thread - heaps of fun tonight. :wink:
  • Options
    Pissed it down both times I was there, squeezed in tivoli gardens, that was about it for me.......soz
  • Options
    Stig said:

cabbles said:

Out here until Sunday afternoon, anyone been who could suggest some ideas of what to go and see? ...

The Brexit thread - heaps of fun tonight. :wink:
    That has been keeping me occupied whilst sat in the hotel bar before venturing out tonight
  • Options
    Head down to Christiania and take loads of pictures of the people in the little shacks
  • Options
    I was actually there just this weekend, spent most of my time in Warpigs and Mikkeler bars. Fermentorum is another great spot.

Tivoli is great from experience, opens again on the 17th for the Christmas market. Can't recommend it highly enough. I also really enjoyed the museum at the castle a few years back. Its burned down a bunch of times so this history of that is interesting.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

I was actually there just this weekend, spent most of my time in Warpigs and Mikkeler bars. Fermentorum is another great spot.

Tivoli is great from experience, opens again on the 17th for the Christmas market. Can't recommend it highly enough. I also really enjoyed the museum at the castle a few years back. Its burned down a bunch of times so this history of that is interesting.

Thanks el Pietro. I was looking at warpigs earlier on line. I will also check out the other 2 you mention

I like the city from what I have seen so far on the short walk around I took
  • Options
    The Carlsberg Brewery,do the tour free drinks at the finish,i did this a few years ago,walkable from the city centre.
  • Options
    clive said:

The Carlsberg Brewery,do the tour free drinks at the finish,i did this a few years ago,walkable from the city centre.

But do you have to drink Carlsberg or can you order a Guinness or Peroni ?
  • Options
    Only Carlsberg,but they had a wide selection of different beers.
  • Options

Head down to Christiania and take loads of pictures of the people in the little shacks

This was a joke. Please don't do this!

Great city to walk, as I am sure you have realised. Christiania is really interesting to see, with its own set of rules that allows them to sell drugs openly - all very relaxed unless you take a photo! The mermaid is worth a visit. Paper island is a fantastic place for dinner, loads of street food stalls and you can sit by the water, next to a fire, with your food and a beer.

We had a day trip to Malmö, which was okay but not a highlight. I can't remember where we walked to to see them making ships masts but that was impressive and one of the main tourist spots (just looked, it was Nyhavn).

We stayed opposite the Church of Our Saviour, which was great to walk up as you can walk around the outside of the spire to the top. Rundetaarn was very interesting too - a tower that horses and carriages used to be able to travel up to the top - added bonus of a great view from the top.

My highest recommendation is to just walk and see what you find. Enjoy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is the Spunk bar still there? Could get a beer for a couple of euros back in 2005 when everywhere else was nearer 8 euros!!

Lovely City but cold in the winter. Very clean from memory and nice pedestrianised street running through the City.

Had ‘all you can eat’ ribs in a Jensen Bufeus (sp) chain restaurant. Finished the ribs, chips and salad and asked for more, expecting some more ribs. They brought out another huge plate of ribs, chips and salad!! We did our best.....
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @cabbles Walter Trout is playing tomorrow night in Copenhagen. I’m going with a mate who’s over for the UK. Bloody great blues guitarist! I highly recommend you get a ticket if that’s your kind of thing.
  • Options
    Heard it’s wonderful.
  • Options
    Thanks all. Great suggestions. @flyingkiwiDK I will DM you
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    If you want to visit a dodgy boozer, check out Café Englandshus on Amager. Cheap beers, but strange strange place.
    The female bartender told me about her ex husband, who had been shot and killed. Her ex boyfriend had fairly recently stabbed her. Had 3 kids with 3 different fathers. Totally tattooed up. Proper Copenhagen underground.
    I was there for a couple of hours. Last full day in Copenhagen and just wanted to catch a game on the telly.
    Was either the overpriced Irish pub down the road or this one.
    Lots of weirdos, who were nice (but you wouldn't want to step on their toes). Someone also turned up with a dog. The dog just stood there all the time. Didn't move. Just stood and stared at one person, who sat down the end of the room.
    Beers are 15 kroner by the way. Approx £1.75
  • Options
    Danepak said:

If you want to visit a dodgy boozer, check out Café Englandshus on Amager. Cheap beers, but strange strange place.
    The female bartender told me about her ex husband, who had been shot and killed. Her ex boyfriend had fairly recently stabbed her. Had 3 kids with 3 different fathers. Totally tattooed up. Proper Copenhagen underground.
    I was there for a couple of hours. Last full day in Copenhagen and just wanted to catch a game on the telly.
    Lots of weirdos, who were nice (but you wouldn't want to step on their toes). Someone also turned up with a dog. The dog just stood there all the time. Didn't move. Just stood and stared at one person, who sat down the end of the room.

Sold - looks like it could be a working man's club in South East london and kent and I've frequented many of them in my time, so would be good to do the danish equivalent
  • Options
    The Little Mermaid .. as the actress said to the bishop .. 'it's not as big as you might think'
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Nothing wrong with Amager mate! lol

Try the Hop House. It's far nicer.
  • Options
    Never been to Copenhagen and also never heard of the term "booch".

One trip to Urban Dictionary later and I can only believe that you're lying and actually in Amsterdam or some Eastern European city.
  • Options

Danepak said:

Nothing wrong with Amager mate! lol

Try the Hop House. It's far nicer.
    Coming from Odense originally, Amager can be a scary, scary place...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a great meal in Höst restaurant - highly recommended https://cofoco.dk/en/restaurants/hoest/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=my business&utm_campaign=høst

The National Gallery of Denmark was very good and Freetown Christiana (which started out as a squat on a military site in 1971) was also interesting.

We found a very good beer place nearby, maybe Warpigs but I can't now remember.
  • Options

Great city to walk, as I am sure you have realised. Christiania is really interesting to see, with its own set of rules that allows them to sell drugs openly - all very relaxed unless you take a photo! The mermaid is worth a visit. Paper island is a fantastic place for dinner, loads of street food stalls and you can sit by the water, next to a fire, with your food and a beer.

We had a day trip to Malmö, which was okay but not a highlight. I can't remember where we walked to to see them making ships masts but that was impressive and one of the main tourist spots (just looked, it was Nyhavn).

We stayed opposite the Church of Our Saviour, which was great to walk up as you can walk around the outside of the spire to the top. Rundetaarn was very interesting too - a tower that horses and carriages used to be able to travel up to the top - added bonus of a great view from the top.

Ha ha, glad you said this was a joke. I really liked Christiana but yeah don't try taking any photos!!! Can't recall much after our visit there.... the day was a bit of a blur and hazy. Loved Cophenhagen.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:

Ha ha, glad you said this was a joke. I really liked Christiana but yeah don't try taking any photos!!! Can't recall much after our visit there.... the day was a bit of a blur and hazy. Loved Cophenhagen.
    Will be doing a little boat tour past there in a bit and don't worry won't get the camera out :wink:

What is about the photos anyway? I've read up a bit online and the bus tour gave the history, but nothing about the reasons behind photos being taken. Is it just a privacy thing or they don't want to be seen as some kind of circus?

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation blucher
  • Options
    Spent several days there when we played Lynby in a preseason. Had a great time. Went to a match at Copenhagen FC, Tivoli gardens, little mermaid (yes it is tiny) and must have sung in every bar that had karaoke. Visited Christiana about 2am and got completely shit faced. And a trip over to Maimo. It ended up as a very expensive away match but enjoyed every minute apart from the football.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

KettsJohn said:

Will be doing a little boat tour past there in a bit and don't worry won't get the camera out :wink:

What is about the photos anyway? I've read up a bit online and the bus tour gave the history, but nothing about the reasons behind photos being taken. Is it just a privacy thing or they don't want to be seen as some kind of circus?

I think they may have relaxed the no taking photos as long as permission is asked. I went about 6 years ago at Christmas and it was quiet there. At this time it was strictly no photos policy. Copenhagen is just a cool place to explore. Very expensive to eat and drink out but you can find some cheaper places of the main areas.
  • Options
    Copenhagen is one of the best cities in Europe, but also one of the most expensive.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

You love a good bar or pub so no surprise there........that’s for sure.
    Hope you’re keeping well....see ya sometime.
    SoundAs.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    cabbles said:

Danepak said:

Sold - looks like it could be a working man's club in South East london and kent and I've frequented many of them in my time, so would be good to do the danish equivalent
  • Options
    Danepak said:

We’re you on acid or mushrooms?

• Options
    KettsJohn said:

cabbles said:

KettsJohn said:

I think they may have relaxed the no taking photos as long as permission is asked. I went about 6 years ago at Christmas and it was quiet there. At this time it was strictly no photos policy. Copenhagen is just a cool place to explore. Very expensive to eat and drink out but you can find some cheaper places of the main areas.
    I was there a couple of years ago. Love Tivoli Gardens, Free Christiana was utterly surreal, there were loads of signs warning of no photos and as you approached the inner sanctum you pass by huge blokes with dark glasses or balaclavas that look like they belong in the Russian special forces. You then get served, if you decide to be a customer, by dodgy looking blokes all in balaclavas. I made sure that I didn't touch my camera.

Having said all that, the punters were ordinary office worker types and I saw no problems at all.

Copenhagen is a really nice city, we booked into a hostel that overlooked the Tivoli Gardens which offered a communal kitchen facility where we were able to buy stuff from the supermarket at a good price and all for just £70 a night.

Riding my bike across to Malmo via the Øresund Bridge was a great experience but cost E50 return from memory just to buy a bag of chips. Malmo was pretty boring, but it has been ticked off now.