Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gin

13»

Comments

• Options
    Is this the ultimate rip off. Who on earth would pay such a price for an empty drink?  
  • Options
    Fifteen quid isn't as bad as some. That seedlip stuff is about £25. Never tried either, don't see the point, just get a bottle of Fevertree and chuck some lime and ice in it, you'd barely notice the difference 
  • Options
    If you get a chance in duty free, get yourself a bottle of Hendricks Amazonia.

Feck me, it’s the dogs danglies 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸
  • Options
    Funnily enough, gin was the only spirit that made me a beligerant drunk, according to the ex Mrs and other observers...

I was your archetypal genial drunken twat apparantly on anything else.

I did love Tanquery. Maybe it was because i drank it in a pint glass with plenty of ice and not enough tonic?
  • Options
    Drank 3/4 of a bottle of Gordon's when I was about 16. Now can't even sniff it without feeling sick.

Satan's Jizz.
  • Options
    Been on a couple of gin tours/tastings recently. Firstly, Anno Distillery, on an industrial estate in Marden. They do a lovely Sloe Gin, mixed with Ginger Ale, bung in various fruits and you have a Pimms type drink, absolutely lovely. They also do a 95 per cent Gin, not for the faint hearted.

Next up was the Mid Suffolk Gin Company near Botesdale. Small operation but lovely gins, worth a visit if in the area, only £20pp and you get a tour and three gins to taste.

Interestingly both used Fever Tree mixers, both said they preferred it over Schweppes. I find the M&S range of tonics are quite nice.
  • Options
    I don't drink g+t much, but Schweppes tonic ruins it. You can taste the artificial sweetener and it destroys the clean taste of the kind of gins I prefer (tanqueray best of the big brands in my opinion).
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I feel exactly the opposite about my tonics. I always pick Schweppes if I get the choice, absolutely love the flavour. Nothing else comes close. Will accept Fever Tree as second favourite if I'm drinking standard gin, but not in one of those full of 'botanicals' it all becomes too much herb. One of my luxuries life is to only buy the little tins. There's something about a tonic that means it seems to go flat much quicker than other mixers. 
  • Options
    I’m with Stig.
    Full fat basic tonic, Schweppes or shops own.
    Low calorie or any of that fancy flavoured stuff just ruins the gin (especially Hendricks Amazonia, it’s made from botanicals from the Peruvian Amazon where I have been, why ruin that taste?).
  • Options
    Fever Tree, Double Dutch Franklin and Sons Indian Tonic are the benchmark in Tonics for me, Schweppes and Britvic are behind IMO and don't offer the same level in a G&T. 

Gin wise, I work for a company in E&C that produces our own gin, and we offer each one with a wide range of tonics. If you're looking for something a bit different, a Juniper heavy London Dry works well with Fever Tree Aromatic Tonic, and a pink gin works well with Franklin and Sons Sicilian Lemon Tonic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Full fat Schweppes or Fever Tree for me, none of the low cal or flavoured stuff.
  • Options

You can’t go wrong with these two.
  • Options
    Leitrim's finest 😍
  • Options
    I thought the general rule of fancy tonic with basic gin and vice versa?
  • Options
    If youve got a good gin, why muck it up with a crappy tonic?
  • Options
    Drank 3/4 of a bottle of Gordon's when I was about 16. Now can't even sniff it without feeling sick.

Satan's Jizz.
    Gordon’s is to gin what fosters is to lager 
  • Options
    I'm not sure 'basic' means crappy in this instance. Rather, not packed out with aromatics.
  • Options
    I think everyone has that 1 drink that they cannot even stand the smell of (generally down to a drinking game experience in the teenage years)

Gin is mine, even the thought of drinking one makes me gag

can stomach pretty much anything else not a problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I think everyone has that 1 drink that they cannot even stand the smell of (generally down to a drinking game experience in the teenage years)

Petrol is mine. I hate the way the fumes go down your nose. Had a bad syphoning incident when young and wouldn't go near it again. Anything else is fine by me though.
  • Options

Pretty much the same as me. I'd drink anything*, ranging from Absinthe through to disgusting cheap Spanish brandy.  But it's not just the smell of gin, it's the consistency;  it seems to me to be kind of oily.  It's like hosing down a shot of EVOO. I've always thought of it as a kind of distilled chardonnay.

*Not allowed to drink spirits any more - doctor's orders.  :'(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    I'm not sure 'basic' means crappy in this instance. Rather, not packed out with aromatics.
    Ah, thanks, now I see what @McBobbin meant. In which case I agree.

Went to a gin night locally in July during the course of which we tried six, all new to me. My favourite was One Gin, happily the cheapest of the lot, but second was Greenwich Marine London Dry gin, both highly recommended.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Stig said:
    Ah, thanks, now I see what @McBobbin meant. In which case I agree.

Went to a gin night locally in July during the course of which we tried six, all new to me. My favourite was One Gin, happily the cheapest of the lot, but second was Greenwich Marine London Dry gin, both highly recommended.
    Yep, thanks Stig! That's what I meant. Schwepps tastes fine, but works with a fancy favoured gin whereas the fever tree elderflower works well with Tanquerey or something like that.

Incidentally, I infused a gin with lemons for a couple of weeks. That's very nice!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I've made sloe gin and raspberry gin. Not only is the raspberry gin much quicker, especially if you use frozen, but it is FAR nicer. And you dont have to pick the damned things. Like the sound of your lemon infusion though.
  • Options
    I'll have to give raspberry a go. Strawberry and blackberry are easy enough to do (blackberry brandy in particular)
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    McBobbin said:
    I'll have to give raspberry a go. Strawberry and blackberry are easy enough to do (blackberry brandy in particular)
    From memory I just added frozen raspberries to a litre bottle containing 700ml of cheapish gin then pushed in as many raspberries as would fit, then added a bit of sugar (but less than any recipe suggests as I don't have a sweet tooth). Gave it a shake every couple of days for about three weeks and done. A very pretty colour when it's ready.
    How did your lemon infusion work?
  • Options
    If I remember it was about two or three lemons cut into quarters then put with 70cl gin in a kilner jar, and then shaken weekly for three weeks then filtered. I used Gordon's. Made some with vodka as well which was probably a bit better. You can add sugar but I didn't 
  • Options
    Highly recommend this Gin from Highgate North London. My favourite