Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crap 90s Football

I didn't expect Keith Jones to give the ball away (twice), but glad to see us make an appearance on this fine account:

Comments

• Not much has changed then.
  • That was when we were good and a division higher

Exactly. One clip - the exception, not the norm.

"You could get a whole series of You've Been Framed" out of the football we've played since Roland turned up, and another series out of the shit they've inflicted on us off the pitch.
  • The commentary cut off before giving the name of the keeper, was it Salmon or Petterson, as the picture is a bit fuzzy!
  • Petterson I think. Salmon never moved that fast.

I used to watch loads of videos from that time - Saves Galore was my goto vhs of choice as I was an aspiring goalie back then. I found one of them on YouTube and was showing it to my son and he said "Why do they all have fuzzy lines on them". It's true they haven't aged well and we don't realise how spoiled we are nowadays with HD stuff all the time
  • edited November 2018
    and some people slag off Prately, Sarr & Phillips !! that was awful defending & goalkeeping.
  • edited November 2018
    richard rufus, one of our best ever defenders, famed for his tough tackling and athleticism putting in the flimsiest looking half challenge i've ever seen.

Even the best have their off days.. and things werent endlessly being repeated on social media and the internet back then
  • edited November 2018
    https://twitter.com/i/moments/890672710451441664\

all of the crap moments that crap football have posted on cafc. feat. one of phil chapple's greatest moments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Haha quality
  • Thought ya meant one of these...
  • Swisdom said:

Petterson I think. Salmon never moved that fast.

I used to watch loads of videos from that time - Saves Galore was my goto vhs of choice as I was an aspiring goalie back then. I found one of them on YouTube and was showing it to my son and he said "Why do they all have fuzzy lines on them". It's true they haven't aged well and we don't realise how spoiled we are nowadays with HD stuff all the time

It's Salmon
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Swisdom said:

Petterson I think. Salmon never moved that fast.

It's Salmon
    Billy the Fish :smile:

• https://twitter.com/i/moments/890672710451441664\

all of the crap moments that crap football have posted on cafc. feat. one of phil chapple's greatest moments.

It always confuses me when I see videos taken when the TV camera was in front of the West stand, as everything seems back to front :smile:
  • edited November 2018
    Petterson gave me one of my finest Charlton supporting moments when he made what I still think is the best save I have ever seen in person. Game finished 1-0, can't remember the Palace player but he threw himself to his right to push a point blank header out from almost over the goal line. Monumental save.

He was still shite though
  • Petterson gave me one of my finest Charlton supporting moments when he made what I still think is the best save I have ever seen in person. Game finished 1-0, can't remember the Palace player but he threw himself to his right to push a point blank header out from almost over the goal line. Monumental save.

He was good for one season though, or was it half a season? Enough for POTY!
  • Lee Bowyer standing off too, football was a lot more chaotic in those days.

We had a good side that year, it was where it started to get stellar good.

The team I remember

Salmon
    Stuart Balmer Rufus Humphrey
    Robinson Mortimer Bowyer Newton
    Leaburn Whyte

Steve Brown was my pick for centre half next to Rufus but was a victim to his own ability to be able to play everywhere. Keith Jones was injured most of that season, we bought Chris Whyte in on loan and I think Bradley Allen came in that season too and Garry Nelson played a fair amount too

We battered West Brom at home that season I think as well
  • "Crap 2010s Football" will be the name of the official Charlton history book of the last 10 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:

Carter said:

Lee Bowyer standing off too, football was a lot more chaotic in those days.

The team I remember

Salmon
    Leaburn Whyte

Steve Brown was my pick for centre half next to Rufus but was a victim to his own ability to be able to play everywhere. Keith Jones was injured most of that season, we bought Chris Whyte in on loan and I think Bradley Allen came in that season too and Garry Nelson played a fair amount too

1995-96; 4-1 at home to West Brom (Andy Hunt scored a penalty for them).

Overall David Whyte only got 3 goals;

Goal chart; Bowyer 14, Grant 10, Leaburn 10, Robinson 9, Newton 7, Mortimer 6 (he only played 21 games), Whyte 3, Nelson 3, Allen 3,

We played 46 league games; 2 play-off games; 3 FA Cup games (knocked out at Liverpool); 6 League Cup Games (a couple of two-legs and then a replay v Wolves). 57 games and John Robinson featured in 55 of them (starting in 53).

We were totally shot during the league run-in (we won one in the last 9 games of the season) and limped into the play-offs. The players were running on empty away to Crystal Palace and we were never in it. Excellent season to watch though.
    It was a really admirable side that. A great year, despite the play-off disappointment, and the start of some happy days. Home grown players and bargains like Robbo. A team full of character.
  • Petterson gave me one of my finest Charlton supporting moments when he made what I still think is the best save I have ever seen in person. Game finished 1-0, can't remember the Palace player but he threw himself to his right to push a point blank header out from almost over the goal line. Monumental save.

It was Shipley, right in front of me in the covered end.
  • Simonsen said:

Carter said:

The team I remember

Salmon
    Leaburn Whyte

Goal chart; Bowyer 14, Grant 10, Leaburn 10, Robinson 9, Newton 7, Mortimer 6 (he only played 21 games), Whyte 3, Nelson 3, Allen 3,

We played 46 league games; 2 play-off games; 3 FA Cup games (knocked out at Liverpool); 6 League Cup Games (a couple of two-legs and then a replay v Wolves). 57 games and John Robinson featured in 55 of them (starting in 53).

We were totally shot during the league run-in (we won one in the last 9 games of the season) and limped into the play-offs. The players were running on empty away to Crystal Palace and we were never in it. Excellent season to watch though.
    Wasn't that the season where it all came down to the final match for all 3 of us, Millwall and Palace, and it finished with Palace missing out on the automatics, us scraping into the playoffs and Millwall falling into the bottom 3 for the first time! A great feeling when it all clicked like that!
  • Simonsen said:

Carter said:

The team I remember

Salmon
    Leaburn Whyte

Wasn't that the season where it all came down to the final match for all 3 of us, Millwall and Palace, and it finished with Palace missing out on the automatics, us scraping into the playoffs and Millwall falling into the bottom 3 for the first time! A great feeling when it all clicked like that!
    And a rather lively player of the year do at the trafalgar tavern iirc

I loved that game and I totally agree I think that save is the best I have ever seen in the flesh. Like Gordon Bank's one from Pele

Brendan O Connell also slapped that ginger prick Hopkin which was admirable