Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

so what comics did you read as a kid ?

Comments

• Options
    Hotspur, Victor and Buster.
    Then moved onto Shoot and the little Commando books.
  • Options
    what comic did you read @billysboots ?
  • Options
    Battle & Warlord for me. I got Battle and my best mate got Warlord then swapsies
  • Options
    No mention of 'Scoop' yet. A good combination of comic strips and football posters. I think it was in 'Scoop' that I learned we had sold Paul Walsh and Paul Elliott...an early experience for me of grief.
  • Options
    Roy of the Rovers and 2000 AD
  • Options
    Hotspur and Look and Learn.
  • Options
    June and School Friend, Bunty,
    Womans Own and Tit-bits
    Tit-bits wasn’t a comic.  More like serious reading (or viewing)
  • Options
    Girls Crystal & Bunty.
  • Options
    The Valiant, what else
  • Options
    Whizzer and Chips, Buster, Beano & Viz.
    You just looked at the pictures :p
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I grew up in Germany as my father worked as a civilian for the US military, so we had access to all the army PXs so my early years were spent reading Batman, Archie, Caspar the Friendly Ghost. 
    My Nan sent me every issue of Look & Learn and the occasional Beano.
    On our visits to the UK I hoovered up all the Roy of the Rovers and Shoot that I could get my hands on and later at boarding school I moved on to Commando and similar stuff.
  • Options
    2000AD. Rogue Trooper was my favourite.
  • Options
    Eagle, Victor, 2000AD...those were the days!
  • Options
    The Victor was my number one read (still got the annuals). Also liked The Valiant and The Hotspur.

Most DC comics too. Still have my Sgt Rock comics which often had a second story in them by guest authors and were very original science fiction stories. 
  • Options
    Never read comics but I know Matt Mcfarlane, founder of SPAWN comics. I still have the first issue and a before-first issue (never released) comic from him somewhere in pristine condition. No idea if they are worth anything.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Two destinations for me on a Saturday AM ahead of a CAFC game from mid teens - Skinny Melinks in Loampit Vale Lewisham (comic shop) or some record shops in Soho.

re former was really into DC exclusively at the time and had every Green Arrow series comic going, plus Batman, Superman, Aquaman etc. To this day, I buy any Green Arrow memorabilia I do not have, though not a huge amount of stuff released over the years - a bit niche. Just caught my imagination, as did Batman for being a human crime fighter with some special skills and bravery beyond belief. Nice thread!!
    @pavoren007, I’ve got a wholesale account with these guys
    https://noblecollection.co.uk/?s=Green+lantern+&post_type=product
    If there’s anything there are you are after, I can get it for you at wholesale prices.

The guy who ran Skinny Melinks, Bruce, was a friend back then. His girlfriend was a drop dead beautiful redhead and you did have to wonder, nice as he was, what she was doing with him. 
  • Options
    Womans Own and Tit-bits
    It’s a downmarket version of Hello, Grazia, etc. if memory serves; I think you’re thinking of something with a similar title. 
  • Options
    The Beano launched 0n July 30th 1938 and celebrates its 85th anniversary this week with a special edition.

Mike Stirling, Director of Mischief (Who wouldn't want that title?)  has put together quite an edition with bits from Stormzy, Harry Styles, David Attenborough and ...

• Options
    Womans Own and Tit-bits
    It’s a downmarket version of Hello, Grazia, etc. if memory serves; I think you’re thinking of something with a similar title. 
    Supposed to be humorous.  The tit-bits I recall from the 1950s was a girlie newspaper and eagerly read by schoolboys (and others)
  • Options
    The Beano was always favourite. Also liked the Dandy.
    I remember being really chuffed when the Dandy featured Woolwich on their "My home town" page back in '63.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still have the very first issue of "Shoot".
  • Options
    Two destinations for me on a Saturday AM ahead of a CAFC game from mid teens - Skinny Melinks in Loampit Vale Lewisham (comic shop) or some record shops in Soho.

re former was really into DC exclusively at the time and had every Green Arrow series comic going, plus Batman, Superman, Aquaman etc. To this day, I buy any Green Arrow memorabilia I do not have, though not a huge amount of stuff released over the years - a bit niche. Just caught my imagination, as did Batman for being a human crime fighter with some special skills and bravery beyond belief. Nice thread!!
    @pavoren007, I’ve got a wholesale account with these guys
    https://noblecollection.co.uk/?s=Green+lantern+&post_type=product
    If there’s anything there are you are after, I can get it for you at wholesale prices.

The guy who ran Skinny Melinks, Bruce, was a friend back then. His girlfriend was a drop dead beautiful redhead and you did have to wonder, nice as he was, what she was doing with him. 
    Is that Bruce that moved to open Avalon comics on Lavendar Hill, Clapham?
    If so, my other half’s brother Mark started as a Saturday boy in Lewisham, moved with Bruce to Avalon and basically ran the shop when Bruce moved away to near Southampton.
    I have mentioned Marks knowledge of the industry somewhere on here before.
    I have no interest in comics but am astounded at what he knows.
  • Options
    This may be of some interest. Mike Flanagan and Roy Race together!
  • Options
    Roy of the Rovers
  • Options
    Beano
    Whizzer & Chips
    Buster (After W&C got folded into it)
    Roy Of The Rovers
    Gary Linekers Hotshot (before it got folded into ROTR)
    Champ
    Football Comic Libraries (Fitbas Commando sized equivalent)
    Viz
    Sweet FA
    The Onion Bag
    Batman Monthly
    Simpsons Comics

Honorable annual mentions, from either comics gone by, or compiled stories from other punlications:

Tiger
    Scorcher
    Score
    Shiver & Shake
    Dandy
    Oor Wullie
    The Broons
  • Options
    Oakster said:
    My dad was an artist for some of the comics listed above !!!

We were never short of comics in our house...
    Wow! He was great!

I always felt it was a shame that British comic artists were rarely allowed to sign their work. Whereas their U.S. counterparts were featured from the start, & seemed to be lauded far more.
  • Options
    Hotspur, Victor and Buster.
    Then moved onto Shoot and the little Commando books.
    My staple comic read as well.
  • Options
    Beano then 2000 AD and a few others I don't think have been mentioned:

Dragon's Claws
    Death's Head
    The Sleaze Brothers
    Oink 
  • Options
    Jim Davidson

Or is this the wrong thread?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Off_it said:
    Jim Davidson

Or is this the wrong thread?
    A CL outrage team will be with you shortly...

In the meantime if you do still feel the need to mention J@# D×<*&son please use the following helpline.

www.heisjusta70scomedian_FFS.com

Admin will now close this thread in...