Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big league matches you've seen. (Not Charlton.)

13»

Comments

• Options
    When I was a youngster, Southampton v Leeds, Jackie Charlton's last ever game. Friend's Dad kindly took us along, no idea what year, what score or who won! Was at The Dell though.
  • Options
    Not sure if Bradford v Millwall in the playoffs a couple of years ago counts? Shame the Spanners won it.
  • Options
    Haven't seen many big league matches - have been to Italy vs Spain at Euro 2016, Chelsea vs Liverpool in the league cup semi-final a couple of years back.

Favourite non Charlton league game that i've been to has to be West Ham vs Burnley last season when it all kicked off - hilarious watching the Wet Spam fans invading and fighting each other
  • Options

Spurs v Arsenal @ Wembley - Last year when Spurs won 2-0, went with a mate but didn't get a seat with him. Very odd experience, didn't feel like a derby and atmosphere expected better.

Before the game an Arsenal fan was standing in the spurs area before you go in in bright yellow fluorescent jacket and somehow didn't get a beating, not sure how.

1-0 when Kane scored the header early 2nd half, then could have been a cricket score as we dominiated but then the french fella Lacazette should have equalised in the 4th min of injury time?

That was one of the better days for atmosphere at Wembley last season but still not a patch on any of the NLDs at WHL.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Spurs v Arsenal @ Wembley - Last year when Spurs won 2-0, went with a mate but didn't get a seat with him. Very odd experience, didn't feel like a derby and atmosphere expected better.

Before the game an Arsenal fan was standing in the spurs area before you go in in bright yellow fluorescent jacket and somehow didn't get a beating, not sure how.

1-0 when Kane scored the header early 2nd half, then could have been a cricket score as we dominiated but then the french fella Lacazette should have equalised in the 4th min of injury time?

That was one of the better days for atmosphere at Wembley last season but still not a patch on any of the NLDs at WHL.
    LOL so it was 1-0 and yes you dominated it, also where they should have knicked a point as you say. Would have been a robbery

Where i was sitting the atmosphere was pooop, think nearer the arsenal section it sounded better , i was diagonally opposite really and alot of people seemed disinterested or just your average spectator who didn't really care.

Nice to go to Wembley as it might be a while for Charlton to be there, still trying to go to odd away game with my mate but hard for him to get an extra ticket. He went Dam, i was going to go ticketless but financially wasn't really viable and a long way to go without seeing the match.
  • Options

Can only think of 5 non Charlton league games that I've been to.

Watford v Arsenal in 83 with school mates
    Southend v Fulham in around 85 (went down there on a Friday night to tick the ground off)
    Arsenal V Millwall with an Arsenal mate in 89
    Gillingham v Chesterfield around late 80's, again just to tick the ground off
    Chelsea v Palace 90 with a load of Chelsea herberts. Half of which got nicked when we went for a drink in the west end afterwards

I must be getting old as I forgot I used to go and watch Maidstone play when they were sharing at Dartford as well as a few Millwall games before I was old enough to be allowed to Charlton away games.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

LOL so it was 1-0 and yes you dominated it, also where they should have knicked a point as you say. Would have been a robbery

Where i was sitting the atmosphere was pooop, think nearer the arsenal section it sounded better , i was diagonally opposite really and alot of people seemed disinterested or just your average spectator who didn't really care.

Nice to go to Wembley as it might be a while for Charlton to be there, still trying to go to odd away game with my mate but hard for him to get an extra ticket. He went Dam, i was going to go ticketless but financially wasn't really viable and a long way to go without seeing the match.
    Would have loved to have gone PSV but having gone last time for the Europa game in 2008, wasn't worth the hassle. A couple of friends went and said you had to collect the ticket, in person, and you had to show the passport which matched the name on the ticket. All down to PSV putting their foot down after all the trouble last time we played there. 1,500 tickets given out by 3 Spurs employed stewards 1pm-5pm on match day and the day before, meaning you had fuck all chance of going anywhere else

I've been to the San Siro before to see Spurs too, so only option for us was book Barcelona so just hoping it isn't a dead rubber, although we always feared it likely would be.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Would have loved to have gone PSV but having gone last time for the Europa game in 2008, wasn't worth the hassle. A couple of friends went and said you had to collect the ticket, in person, and you had to show the passport which matched the name on the ticket. All down to PSV putting their foot down after all the trouble last time we played there. 1,500 tickets given out by 3 Spurs employed stewards 1pm-5pm on match day and the day before, meaning you had fuck all chance of going anywhere else

I've been to the San Siro before to see Spurs too, so only option for us was book Barcelona so just hoping it isn't a dead rubber, although we always feared it likely would be.
    Mate didn't get a ticket to Barca, just missed out. Mixed feelings as he would have liked to go to Nou Camp, but i said probably a good thing even if you have a chance a big task to win there and might be a nothing game too.
  • Options
    The El Classico at the Nou Camp in 2006 for my 50th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Villa 1 Juve 2 (1983). Not literally a league game in those days, European Cup quarter final first leg game, but they were both genuine champions. Juve were like real swaggering aristocrats against yokels (come to think of it, the comparison between the fans was much the same). I thought Boniek had a mostly very quiet game until his one big moment. Don't know details of the Juve line-up, but this was in the 2nd Leg:

1 Zoff age 41
    2 Gentile 29
    3 Cabrini 25
    4 Bonini 23
    5 Brio 26
    6 Scirea 29
    7 Bettega 32
    8 Tardelli 28
    9 Rossi 26
    10 Platini 27
    11 Boniek 27

Coach Trapattoni

https://youtu.be/QSlTkb1oUxw

This was live on TV, I think Curbs played for Villa?
  • Options
    I went to the Vasco da Gama v Flamengo derby in 2008, pre redevelopment of the Maracana. The 37K made a fantastic noise, and Flamengo won 1-0.

If anybody gets the chance to go to either a Rio or Sao Paulo derby I strongly recommend people to go.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Arsenal v Man U
    bank holiday Monday 1990(?)

Was meant to be a tense game but earlier that day Liverpool had lost so that meant Arsenal had won the title despite their 2 point deduction for brawl with Man U earlier in season.
    Was in Man U section with work colleagues in the corner by the Clock End.

Jeremy Beadle was in the Clock End corporate boxes and giving it to the United fans.
    He then unfurled a Champions banner over the front area of the box, but didn't realise he had it upside down.

Instead of singing 'watch out, beadles about' the United fans started singing 'Watch out, Beadles a c*nt' and he was getting redder and redder with rage until he stormed back into the box and was not seen for rest of the game.

Where was the little hand pointing to in the Clock End?
  • Options
    Wouldn't say big, but I did see Michael Owen's debut for Liverpool against Wimbledon
  • Options

I'm going to see Arsenal play Huddersfield with the FIL in December. Seemed like a good idea when he asked me after a few beers, not so sure I fancy it now!

Ticket’s not available now, praise the lord.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ferryman said:

Villa 1 Juve 2 (1983). Not literally a league game in those days, European Cup quarter final first leg game, but they were both genuine champions. Juve were like real swaggering aristocrats against yokels (come to think of it, the comparison between the fans was much the same). I thought Boniek had a mostly very quiet game until his one big moment. Don't know details of the Juve line-up, but this was in the 2nd Leg:

1 Zoff age 41
    2 Gentile 29
    3 Cabrini 25
    4 Bonini 23
    5 Brio 26
    6 Scirea 29
    7 Bettega 32
    8 Tardelli 28
    9 Rossi 26
    10 Platini 27
    11 Boniek 27

Coach Trapattoni

This was live on TV, I think Curbs played for Villa?
    I had no recollection of him playing, so I had to look it up, but according to this blog, which is quite a good read, no, he didn't play in either leg. The author is a real football nut, too, if you read what he says about compiling all the data he has.

I quite liked that Villa team and they weren't at all bad, even though they were pretty much up against a team of galacticos.

http://soccernostalgia.blogspot.com/2013/12/memorable-european-confrontations-part.html
  • Options
    Real Madrid v Barcelona in La Liga in April 2011. Real Madrid somehow salvaged a 1-1 draw, despite Barcelona dominating the game. It was the first of three El Clásicos within a month, with Barcelona prevailing 3-1 on aggregate in the Champions League semi-final.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Arsenal v Man U

Was meant to be a tense game but earlier that day Liverpool had lost so that meant Arsenal had won the title despite their 2 point deduction for brawl with Man U earlier in season.

Jeremy Beadle was in the Clock End corporate boxes and giving it to the United fans.
    He then unfurled a Champions banner over the front area of the box, but didn't realise he had it upside down.

Instead of singing 'watch out, beadles about' the United fans started singing 'Watch out, Beadles a c*nt' and he was getting redder and redder with rage until he stormed back into the box and was not seen for rest of the game.

I was at that Utd arsenal brawl game with my old man but sat in with Utd fans. My dad just couldn't keep his gob shut and we got ejected for our own safety but not before we'd copped for a few right handers! And funnily enough that was the second time I'd been chucked out of old Trafford for my own safety, the first was during our 1-0 win there a few years earlier
  • Options
    off my head;

West Ham v Leeds circa 1973
    West Ham v Man C circa 1982
    Arsenal v Liverpool circa 1984
    Chelsea v Newcastle circa 1983 (4-0)
    Palace v Portsmouth circa 1989
    Juventus v Arsenal circa 2005 ( champions league)
    Norwich v QPR circa 1983 (caister soul weekend)
    Arsenal v Man C (charity shield)
    Arsenal v Stoke
    Arsenal v West Ham
    Arsenal v Palace
    Arsenal v QPR
  • Options
    Went to Wimbledon v Leeds FA cup in 1975 when Wimbledon were a non league team and Leeds were in the dirty era, also went to Millwall v Dartford in the FA cup, that was interesting about 1983 millwall won 2-1. Also was at England v Poland game standing by the missed tackle as well, must have been mostly Charlton supporters in that area.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Arsenal v Man U

Apparently, Jeremy Beadle had a very small penis. On the other hand, it was quite large.