Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Incredible feats of supporting Charlton

13»

Comments

• 21 people going to China isn't a bad shout, 5 of whom came back with tattoos in Cantonese saying Charlton. And before anyone says egg fried rice etc, translation has been verified by numerous sources.

Nothing much can top this for attending an away friendly.
    Australia in 1990 does
  • shirty5 said:

21 people going to China isn't a bad shout, 5 of whom came back with tattoos in Cantonese saying Charlton. And before anyone says egg fried rice etc, translation has been verified by numerous sources.

Australia in 1990 does
    Give you that.

I wonder if anybody travelled over there. I have one programme but I cannot remember who we played and where.
  • shirty5 said:

21 people going to China isn't a bad shout, 5 of whom came back with tattoos in Cantonese saying Charlton. And before anyone says egg fried rice etc, translation has been verified by numerous sources.

Australia in 1990 does
    Give you that.

I wonder if anybody travelled over there. I have one programme but I cannot remember who we played and where.
    Wide Bay in Queensland was one of those games
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Once ended up in the wrong country for a preseason friendly!

Which game?
    Roda I think
    Where did you end up?
    Antwerp at kick off, went to Rotterdam, had a steak and went home.
  • Port Vale away at the end of the 98 promotion season - think it was a one nil win Mendonca penalty.

Driving up the A2 with my Dad and a supporters coach had broken down by the Dartford Heath turnoff. Stopped to pick up 3 fans (2 in the back and one in the boot) and after tonnes of traffic we all made it there on time.
  • We also drove up to Port Vale for a night game and the exhaust fell off on the M1 near Northampton. Made it to a Quick Fit, who sorted it fairly quickly but we knew we wouldn’t make kick off and we had a choice... Give up and go home or drive as quickly as we could to get there for half time. We chose the latter and my mate averaged 90 mph for the rest of the journey and we just made it as the 2nd half kicked off. A last minute rocket from Gritty made it 1-1 which made it all worthwhile.

Took a coachload of Junior Reds up for that game. After spending a hectic day at Alton Towers, followed by a late night finish, it was the quietest trip home on a coach ever . . they were too tired to even watch videos of 'Fools and Horses'... unheard of!

• I once heard that a supporter went to Italy and back on a moped for one of those Italian cup games. Don't know if it is true.
  • Coming to this late but a friend got married in New Zealand 15 years ago, and I wangled a month off work to go travelling around before flying back. After 24 hours in the air, punctuated by having to deal with immigration playing silly beggars at LAX, I landed at Heathrow mid-morning, was picked up by my parents and drove straight to the Valley to see us play Newcastle in the Prem.

We lost 2-0. I should have just gone home to bed.
  • 21 people going to China isn't a bad shout, 5 of whom came back with tattoos in Cantonese saying Charlton. And before anyone says egg fried rice etc, translation has been verified by numerous sources.

Good effort.

Why is there a Cantonese word for Charlton?
    Do you mean you had characters tattooed that phonetically sounded like Charlton?

If so, what is the actual meaning of those characters?

Can you post picture and @JessieAddick could confirm?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Good effort.

Why is there a Cantonese word for Charlton?
    Do you mean you had characters tattooed that phonetically sounded like Charlton?

If so, what is the actual meaning of those characters?

Can you post picture and @JessieAddick could confirm?
    I suppose so. It's how football clubs' names are translated in China.
  • Googled it, but won't be visiting the tattoo shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_rymN23ik
  • Missed the K.O. at the Valley once whilst standing outside clutching my cousin's ticket.

He arrived 5 minutes late apologising profusely. I told him that it was all very well, but to leave home 20 minutes earlier next time. May have been a bit harsh, he'd come direct from Sacramento.
  • My brother in law tried to get us tickets for the Man Utd away 5th round FACup game. He couldn't so, as we worked on the railway at the time, and got free travel, he jumped on a train and went and got us tickets from Old Trafford in the home family end.
    We then travelled up on the day of the game and managed to swap them for away end tickets with a Man Utd fan who have traveled to the Valley and got tickets from
    Charlton.
  • I think the German Addicks deserve a mention for the time and effort they put in.