Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Suspected Bombs

13»

Comments

• Options
    redsek said:

So it turns out this may not be a leftist/liberal plot after all but the work of a hate filled right wing flat-earther. What a shock. Amazing how so many were prepared to even consider it might be otherwise. What times we live in.

It's weird that none of the Trump supporters are willing to come out and simple say "this is wrong. No caveats, no political affiliation justifies this."
  • Options
    Cesar Sayoc, 56, was arrested in Florida on suspicion of sending at least a dozen explosive devices to Democratic political figures and CNN.

He is an outspoken Donald Trump supporter with a long trail on social media. He posted memes attacking some of the targets of the bombs, including Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and promoting conspiracy theories about them. And he posted fervent support for Trump, including images of himself at a Trump rally and in a Make America Great Again hat. Authorities also seized a white van covered in political decals.

He had an extensive criminal record, with at least 8 arrests. One was for threatening to bomb a utility company.

He had financial troubles, including a bankruptcy and a foreclosure. He may have been living in the white van.

---

(Guardian summary of info released so far.)
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Cesar Sayoc, 56, was arrested in Florida on suspicion of sending at least a dozen explosive devices to Democratic political figures and CNN.

He is an outspoken Donald Trump supporter with a long trail on social media. He posted memes attacking some of the targets of the bombs, including Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and promoting conspiracy theories about them. And he posted fervent support for Trump, including images of himself at a Trump rally and in a Make America Great Again hat. Authorities also seized a white van covered in political decals.

He had an extensive criminal record, with at least 8 arrests. One was for threatening to bomb a utility company.

He had financial troubles, including a bankruptcy and a foreclosure. He may have been living in the white van.

---

I used to date a girl from the town next to "Plantation" (because of course he lives in a town called Plantation). It's a...strange part of the world. When I first heard they thought the person was from South Florida I immediately thought of my ex's dad, a religious fundamentalist with a Messiah complex. Not the type who would do something like this, but one with the mindset that Democrats and the free press are the enemy of the people*.

*Something that has been parroted by Trump and his supporters, inclulding those on here.

It's almost like calling a group of people, and specific individuals, "enemies of the people" might cause people to take you literally. Obviously for most that just means inexplicable rage, and not everyone should be judged by the standard this man sets, but as with the Gabbie Giffords shooting, this should be a time to think about rhetoric and the stability of our leaders.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

---

I used to date a girl from the town next to "Plantation" (because of course he lives in a town called Plantation). It's a...strange part of the world. When I first heard they thought the person was from South Florida I immediately thought of my ex's dad, a religious fundamentalist with a Messiah complex. Not the type who would do something like this, but one with the mindset that Democrats and the free press are the enemy of the people*.

*Something that has been parroted by Trump and his supporters, inclulding those on here.

It's almost like calling a group of people, and specific individuals, "enemies of the people" might cause people to take you literally. Obviously for most that just means inexplicable rage, and not everyone should be judged by the standard this man sets, but as with the Gabbie Giffords shooting, this should be a time to think about rhetoric and the stability of our leaders.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” I should have added FAKE NEWS at the end of each paragraph, just for impartiality.
  • Options
    redsek said:

So it turns out this may not be a leftist/liberal plot after all but the work of a hate filled right wing flat-earther. What a shock. Amazing how so many were prepared to even consider it might be otherwise. What times we live in.

It's only going to be a matter of time before it shifts from "False Flag' top "well if Democrats didn't do X people wouldn't want to bomb them."
  • Options
    limeygent said:

This is just a case of "Two nations separated by a common language".

Come on, at least have the courage of your convictions. I'm American, the rest are British, we all read it the same way. Putting "experts" in quotation marks mean you do not believe they're experts.

At least some of the bombs have gone to the FBI bomb squad at Quantico.

Cue conspiracy theories about the FBI really being behind this*

*I don't say this to be cute or clever. I say this because it's only a matter of days before qa has another meme about an FBI bomb expert who is part of a huge FBI conspiracy to take down Trump and his supporters.
  • Options

---

Who, Trump?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    SDAddick said:

---

It's that same rhetoric being taught which leads people to religious extremism.

Trump hates Islamic extremists but uses the same tactics to brainwash his supporters against his opponents.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

SDAddick said:

---

Trump hates Islamic extremists but uses the same tactics to brainwash his supporters against his opponents.
    Extremism is extremism, religious, political or otherwise. And Trump's rhetoric is extremist that is in no question. Condoning (if not outright encouraging) violence against a roup or groups painted as the enemy, hyperbole and misinformation.

And for the record if it was a liberal/left wing/democrat saying the same things it would be just as bad.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Croydon said:

SDAddick said:

---

Extremism is extremism, religious, political or otherwise. And Trump's rhetoric is extremist that is in no question. Condoning (if not outright encouraging) violence against a roup or groups painted as the enemy, hyperbole and misinformation.

And for the record if it was a liberal/left wing/democrat saying the same things it would be just as bad.

I like the bit where trump blames the main stream media... on the day CNN recieved a bomb.