Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British Gas scam

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I got one of those "there's a problem with your Internet,  can you sit at your computer and follow my instructions" scammers. 
    I said "hang on, I just need to wheel myself across the room. I had a stroke last year so I might be a bit slow typing". Made no difference so I went down the "I haven't got a window on my keyboard" route for about 10 minutes then told them to f*** off.
  • Options
    not a scam but bg related. 

they decided to cut my electricity and gas off at 9.38am this morning as my neighbour who is switching accounts accidentally put my door number in. 

after a grumble i still have no gas and the meter is now broken through no fault of my own, and of course i cannot speak to anyone as there offices shut at 5 even though at 2.30 i was told i would have an engineer here by 4.30

cnuts of the highest order i am over a barrell as have no hot water or heating. 
    I feel for you mate. We've had an ongoing problem with Scottish Power since July. We were on holiday (ironically in Scotland) when we received a "sorry you're leaving us email". We were really surprised as we'd only been with them a few weeks.  It turns out that one of our neighbours wanted to move from them to Green Star (I'd never even heard of them) and someone somewhere cocked up the address. It took them months to even admit the problem they just insisted that we weren't their customers anymore. They've admitted the problem now, but they still haven't sorted it out. We were lucky, unlike you, we never got cut off - though it has been worrying. Both these companies have been absolutely chuffin useless. Hope you get the heat back on soon and a healthy rebate for the inconvenience. 
  • Options
    not a scam but bg related. 

they decided to cut my electricity and gas off at 9.38am this morning as my neighbour who is switching accounts accidentally put my door number in. 

after a grumble i still have no gas and the meter is now broken through no fault of my own, and of course i cannot speak to anyone as there offices shut at 5 even though at 2.30 i was told i would have an engineer here by 4.30

cnuts of the highest order i am over a barrell as have no hot water or heating. 

Do what any resourceful weed grower would do, use your neighbour’s electricity.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Also get a recorded message with a woman with an American accent, again about my internet service but doesn't mention which ISP she's calling about. The last sentence she says 'To free up this problem press 1, I've never done that as I'm sure it leads to more issues.
    It will probably connect you to a premium rate line, at least that's what I've heard.
  • Options
    onthe99 said:
    Had a call from someone years ago claiming to be from bg. Sounded quite young.
    Asked me if my fridge was running alright. Bit confused about why they'd ask about that, I said 'yes'. "You'd best get after it then!" Was the reply and the line went dead.

Was annoyed at first but then decided this is a fantastic service...someone phones and tells jokes down the phone.
    One we did from the school 'phone many years ago.

Call someone and ask to speak to Mr Walls.  Obviously there isn't a Mr Walls at the other end (if there is, this doesn't work obviously).  So ask to speak to Mrs Walls.  When told that Mrs Walls doesn't live there, ask if there are any walls there.  When the person says "No", ask how the roof stays up.

Yes, I know, it's not funny, but when we were twelve it was the height of hilarity.
  • Options
    Keep getting an automated call, can't remember exactly what they say, but our Amazon account will be charged 39.99 (no pounds or dollars etc) and should press 1 to discuss the charge.

Has anyone else had the same calls and ever pressed 1 to find out?
  • Options
    I get these, sometimes twice a day. One called is a woman with an annoying about American accent & occasionally a man with an English accent. They are all from different numbers.southamptonaddick said:
    Keep getting an automated call, can't remember exactly what they say, but our Amazon account will be charged 39.99 (no pounds or dollars etc) and should press 1 to discuss the charge.

• Options
    Another regular one is a well spoken guy from HMRC telling me an arrest warrant has been issued in my name and to press 1 to talk to my case adviser.

Maybe they want back the £9.45 rebate I received recently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I would imagine it puts you through to a premium charge phone line
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    iaitch said:
    Also get a recorded message with a woman with an American accent, again about my internet service but doesn't mention which ISP she's calling about. The last sentence she says 'To free up this problem press 1, I've never done that as I'm sure it leads to more issues.
    I got that one three times a few days ago. Just put the phone down but I worry about a vulnerable person not doing so. There is also a version with Amazon. As if they would ring you about an issue with a synthetic american accent voice!

Then you have the, If you could change any window in your house, what one would you change? I always answer none of them, I love all of my windows. I think they are great.
  • Options
    Talking of phone pranks, apparently an old BT engineer trick was to call down to the girls on switchboard and get them to ask the office if anyone had seen Mike Hunt that day.
    🙄

• Options
    Many moons ago, we used to get somebody to phone our boss (miserable old git he was) every hour so and ask for Bert.  All day long we would hear him say, "There's nobody called Bert working here".  Then at about quarter to five somebody else would ring and "Hello this is Bert, have there been any calls for me?"

The old scrote was livid.

We used to call a random number at all hours for long periods of time asking if Mike was there. He wasn’t. As there wasn’t a Mike at the address.
    After a few weeks we would ring and say Mike here, any messages for me.
    We laughed, they didn’t. Childish I know but teenage fun.
  • Options
    There is another British Gas scam going around. That is the one where they cancel an annual visit in November at 24 hours notice and tell you that they can't re-arrange it 'til January. And then don't turn up and don't inform you that they're not coming for  the one in January!
  • Options
    That's not a scam. That's just British Gas being shit. 
  • Options
    There is another British Gas scam going around. That is the one where they cancel an annual visit in November at 24 hours notice and tell you that they can't re-arrange it 'til January. And then don't turn up and don't inform you that they're not coming for  the one in January!

They're a nightmare with engineer visits. Had several issues with them not turning up when they said they would for emergency repairs and services.

I had to resort to lying twice when our boiler packed up when I got a call hours after they were due to fix it say they had operational problems and were prioritising emergency cases. Told them we had a baby and needed the water/heating back up and running ASAP. Both times they were there in a couple of hours.

I got a refund for most of our annual premium a couple of years ago as they'd fucked us around so much.

To be fair the engineers themselves have always been spot on. All of them said they simply don't employ enough of them to cover all calls.

Took great delight in binning them off when we got out new boiler with a 10 year guarantee last year.