Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Voice Of The Valley Own Goal

Like many people, I look forward to each new edition of the Voice and this afternoon settled down to read my newly purchased November issue. At the foot of page 15, I encountered a segment in which our poor overworked Handbook Editor was castigated for again failing to include Tosan Popo's one substitute appearance for Charlton back in 2011. From memory, this is the third year running that a similar brickbat has been launched, which makes it a hat trick of own goals for Airman Brown. As all Tosan's fans will recall, his full name is in fact Tosan Ebigbeyi-Popo and his brief cameo in the Charlton first team is correctly positioned every year in the Handbook. May the Editor now look forward to a suitable apology in the next Voice? We must all wait and see.

Comments

• Joe Pigott, better known as Joe Wolfencroft (sic) Pigott according to the handbook as well.

• edited October 2018

Like many people, I look forward to each new edition of the Voice and this afternoon settled down to read my newly purchased November issue. At the foot of page 15, I encountered a segment in which our poor overworked Handbook Editor was castigated for again failing to include Tosan Popo's one substitute appearance for Charlton back in 2011. From memory, this is the third year running that a similar brickbat has been launched, which makes it a hat trick of own goals for Airman Brown. As all Tosan's fans will recall, his full name is in fact Tosan Ebigbeyi-Popo and his brief cameo in the Charlton first team is correctly positioned every year in the Handbook. May the Editor now look forward to a suitable apology in the next Voice? We must all wait and see.

As it happens the handbook editor previously confirmed to me in writing that Popo wasn’t in there, so it’s not as straightforward as you think. We collaborate on stats on a regular basis - me privately pointing out mistakes in the programme stats when I spot them so they don’t persist.

No problem being corrected, if it gets to the bottom of the mystery, but it’s not laziness. It isn’t sensible to list players alphabetically under names they have never used because not only can I not find them, but evidently neither can the club. It should, at worst, be footnoted.
  • edited October 2018
  • Charlton supporter politics still alive in 2018
  • Like many people, I look forward to each new edition of the Voice and this afternoon settled down to read my newly purchased November issue. At the foot of page 15, I encountered a segment in which our poor overworked Handbook Editor was castigated for again failing to include Tosan Popo's one substitute appearance for Charlton back in 2011. From memory, this is the third year running that a similar brickbat has been launched, which makes it a hat trick of own goals for Airman Brown. As all Tosan's fans will recall, his full name is in fact Tosan Ebigbeyi-Popo and his brief cameo in the Charlton first team is correctly positioned every year in the Handbook. May the Editor now look forward to a suitable apology in the next Voice? We must all wait and see.

Great Balls Of Fire
  • Maybe this could raised at the next fans forum meeting?
  • @Airman Brown should blame it on the University of Greenwich students
  • Sponsored links:

• Worrying times
    Concerned of Epping
  • shirty5 said:

Maybe this could raised at the next fans forum meeting?

Only if the minutes of the meeting are published within an hour....
  • So where should Karlan be listed in future ? Under A for Aherne or G for Grant ? Probably best to agree in advance.
  • edited October 2018
    I think we should allocate a number based on their first appearance, if two or more made their debut on the same date we could use either their height or shoe size to determine their number. If they are on loan they would be allocated a number and a L for loan, if they are permanant they could get a P after their number. If they are crap they could also get a C after their number, or I if they are inconsistent, and with the P or L. We could also add the initials of the managers they played under ie AC, or LB or all those Belgians I cant remember.

I think this would make it much simpler and they could also wear it on their shirts so Karlan Grant would be say 859 (P I) LB.KR.RS.JR.KF.GL.BP. Think of the shirt lettering sales!, plus there will be greater accuracy when singing "theres only one 859 Pl LB KR RS JR KF GL BP.."

Or maybe thats going a bit too far.....
  • Halix said:

I think we should allocate a number based on their first appearance, if two or more made their debut on the same date we could use either their height or shoe size to determine their number. If they are on loan they would be allocated a number and a L for loan, if they are permanant they could get a P after their number. If they are crap they could also get a C after their number, or I if they are inconsistent, and with the P or L. We could also add the initials of the managers they played under ie AC, or LB or all those Belgians I cant remember.

I think this would make it much simpler and they could also wear it on their shirts so Karlan Grant would be say 859 (P I) LB.KR.RS.JR.KF.GL.BP. Think of the shirt lettering sales!, plus there will be greater accuracy when singing "theres only one 859 Pl LB KR RS JR KF GL BP.."

Or maybe thats going a bit too far.....

Makes perfect sense.
  • Can't wait to check this next year.