Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crickets craziest 'run out'

Pakistan batsman run out in bizarre circumstances.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/45900511

Comments

• It's why no Australian wicket-keep captain will ever be thought of as having class and sportsmanship, when you know that MD Dhoni did this in fairly similar circumstances... espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2011/content/story/525477.html
  • Cricket is odd......Bell should be out surely? I still don't understand why you have to appeal to find out if the umpire thinks something is out or not?!?
  • Bell was out, and rightly given out. But as a gentleman's game, an umpire can only make a decision on appeal (see the laws), and that appeal was withdrawn (which is the captain's right to do). The Spirit Of Cricket is something that the game tries to uphold, the opposite of how the FA has let standards drift in football over the years in terms of respect for referees, dissent, gamesmanship, etc, all of which are "just not cricket dear chap!".
  • Cricket is odd......Bell should be out surely? I still don't understand why you have to appeal to find out if the umpire thinks something is out or not?!?

because you have to. I think everyone has taken part or heard of a game in colts cricket when you're a kid, the bowler gets the batsman absolutely plumb, yet the only one appealing is the fielder at point, who makes a very muted "hows that?".
  • Pedro45 said:

Bell was out, and rightly given out. But as a gentleman's game, an umpire can only make a decision on appeal (see the laws), and that appeal was withdrawn (which is the captain's right to do). The Spirit Of Cricket is something that the game tries to uphold, the opposite of how the FA has let standards drift in football over the years in terms of respect for referees, dissent, gamesmanship, etc, all of which are "just not cricket dear chap!".

The captain does not have the right to withdraw an appeal. If anyone on the fielding side appeals and the umpire correctly gives it out, the decision cannot later be overturned. So, in the case of Bell/Dhoni, he was out, they appealed, the umpire gave him out, and that should have been the end of the matter. During the break, Dhoni conisidered that it didn't "feel" right, so had a word with the umpires. They agreed to allow the decision not to stand. Although, technically, they should not have been allowed to do so.

because you have to. I think everyone has taken part or heard of a game in colts cricket when you're a kid, the bowler gets the batsman absolutely plumb, yet the only one appealing is the fielder at point, who makes a very muted "hows that?".
    I get that you have to......I just think it's weird that you have to.......
  • clive said:

should be out just down to their stupidity really
  • Ahem cough match fixing ahem cough?!
  • edited October 2018
    Chizz said:

Pedro45 said:

Bell was out, and rightly given out. But as a gentleman's game, an umpire can only make a decision on appeal (see the laws), and that appeal was withdrawn (which is the captain's right to do). The Spirit Of Cricket is something that the game tries to uphold, the opposite of how the FA has let standards drift in football over the years in terms of respect for referees, dissent, gamesmanship, etc, all of which are "just not cricket dear chap!".

The captain does not have the right to withdraw an appeal. If anyone on the fielding side appeals and the umpire correctly gives it out, the decision cannot later be overturned. So, in the case of Bell/Dhoni, he was out, they appealed, the umpire gave him out, and that should have been the end of the matter. During the break, Dhoni conisidered that it didn't "feel" right, so had a word with the umpires. They agreed to allow the decision not to stand. Although, technically, they should not have been allowed to do so.
    Law 27.8
    The captain of the fielding side may withdraw an appeal only with the consent of the umpire within whose jurisdiction the appeal falls and before the outgoing batsman has left the field of play. Etc.

So, you are wrong on that respect but you are right that technically, they should not have been allowed to do so as Bell left the field of play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

Chizz said:

Pedro45 said:

Law 27.8
    The captain of the fielding side may withdraw an appeal only with the consent of the umpire within whose jurisdiction the appeal falls and before the outgoing batsman has left the field of play. Etc.

So, you are wrong on that respect but you are right that technically, they should not have been allowed to do so as Bell left the field of play.
    bit of a grey area though as they then all left the field of play for tea.
  • edited October 2018

clive said:

should be out just down to their stupidity really
    Out all day long for me, fuck it.