Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thames Path Reopened

Noticed today the Thames Path between the Cutty Sark Pub and the O2 has reopened after being closed for the last 2 years.

With the new Cycle path section at the Thames Barrier this means you can now cycle from Greenwich to Woolwich using a cycle path the whole way.

As I was jogging along the path this morning I noticed a bunch of construction workers taking selfies on the foreshore in front of Enderby Wharf. When I got nearer I saw a big fat fully grown seal, about 5 foot long, resting on the beach about 10 yards from the water. I spoke to one of the workers and he said it was just resting and when it was ready it would make its way back into the river. I have lived near this part of the river for most of my life and I have never seen anything like that before.

Comments

• Options
    Have been down this section a few times since it reopened - makes the walk a lot more pleasant.

I saw a seal on the riverbank near the 02 a few years ago but it's obviously a pretty rare event.
  • Options

Don’t know if it’s the same seal but there used to be one around billingsgate. Free food no obvious predators, you can see why seals are moving into London
  • Options

Noticed today the Thames Path between the Cutty Sark Pub and the O2 has reopened after being closed for the last 2 years.

With the new Cycle path section at the Thames Barrier this means you can now cycle from Greenwich to Woolwich using a cycle path the whole way.

As I was jogging along the path this morning I noticed a bunch of construction workers taking selfies on the foreshore in front of Enderby Wharf. When I got nearer I saw a big fat fully grown seal, about 5 foot long, resting on the beach about 10 yards from the water. I spoke to one of the workers and he said it was just resting and when it was ready it would make its way back into the river. I have lived near this part of the river for most of my life and I have never seen anything like that before.

Nothing new, I’ve seen loads of construction workers before...
    But were they doing anything?
    We've seen the seal some years ago, probably a different one, in the middle of the Thames just by the Trafalgar Tavern.
  • Options
    You should have hung around a bit longer. It got quite interesting later...
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    This is the chap. At first I thought it was Benny the whale.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KEvtifeva/status/1052484725665869825
  • Options

Have been down this section a few times since it reopened - makes the walk a lot more pleasant.

I saw a seal on the riverbank near the 02 a few years ago but it's obviously a pretty rare event.

He had gone to the O2 to see a Seal concert.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I have walked the Thames Path from Thamesmead to Woolwich. So is it now possible to walk from Thamesmead to Greenwich?
  • Options
    The path down the east side of the Peninsula is going to be great once they've finished work on the new P5K running track.
  • Options

The path down the east side of the Peninsula is going to be great once they've finished work on the new P5K running track.

I didn't realise this was even planned. I had no idea why the pathway had been dug up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is the best way public transport wise to travel from the Cutty Sark to the 02 arena. Have youngish kids so walking may not be an option!
  • Options

What is the best way public transport wise to travel from the Cutty Sark to the 02 arena. Have youngish kids so walking may not be an option!

188 bus I'd imagine. Leaves from the centre of Greenwich
  • Options
    Didn't even know it was closed.
  • Options

129 or 188 bus.
  • Options

Bus or DLR to Canary Wharf and then tube to North Greenwich.
  • Options

I didn't realise this was even planned. I had no idea why the pathway had been dug up.
    Yeah, there's also going to be a raised section linking the Thames Path to the plaza outside the o2, between the new flats:

http://www.greenpen.london/blog/p5k-phase-one
  • Options

Yeah, there's also going to be a raised section linking the Thames Path to the plaza outside the o2, between the new flats:

Had no idea this was going on...
  • Options

This is exciting!
  • Options
    Didn't we walk along there for the last UpBeats walk?