Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Refereeing Standards

2»

Comments

• Options
    I got roped in to refereeing my boys u9’s a couple of years ago. I’m not afraid to admit that I had a shocker! The opposition had a lad who was about 6ft tall and steamrollered through our defence. I let play go as our defenders bounced off him and he duly turned what looked like a 4-2 defeat, into a 4-4 draw. Parents from both sides were screaming and id had enough so just blew for full time. I had no idea whether time was up, but it was close haha! My boy went mental, along with some of the other kids, blaming me for the lost points! I just replied that it wasn’t me who cost them the win, but their shoddy defending and not playing to the whistle. I them banned my son for the next weeks training and match as punishment for his behaviour! Never ever again.
  • Options
    my daughter now plays for an U9'sboys team (only girl), I've reffed a couple of their games as a favour over the past few weeks.....it's amazing how seriously some of the parents/managers take it!!!!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Redrobo said:

I don’t actually agree with the premise that the game has got less enjoyable. The demise of the hacker that has allowed gifted players to shine through is the best thing to ever happen in football.

The fact that Danny Mills gets it that the game has changed is most welcome. You have to be in control when making a tackle. Getting the ball is irrelevant. Dier’s tackle was for me borderline. But if you were the coach, would you want him attempting it? Poor decision by Dier for me.

As for amateur refs not being very good, just go and watch the coaches run the line in youth matches. They haven’t a clue on the off side rules.

Listen to the moans about handball, double jeopardy on a pen. If the coaches and young players don’t understand the laws, it is hardly surprising that so many think the refs are poor!

My son used to moan about refs, so he went on a course to become one. I had to go with him because of his age. Very enlightening it was too. The FA should offer all clubs the opportunity to at least hear an overview of the role, it could only help.

The truth is that very very few coaches, managers or players, certainly fans, pundits and commentators too, have actually even read the laws of football. It is a pretty simple game and everybody thinks they know the laws but they have not actually read them.
    A favourite example of mine is that the ball does not necessarily have to be played forward for a player to be offside. If you don't believe me, look up the offside law and tell me where I'm wrong.
    A player is in an offside position if nearer to the opponent’s goal line as both the ball and the second last opponent.

Since you can’t be closer to the goal line than the ball if played backwards to you, by definition the ball has to be played forwards.

Sorry to disagree.
    A player can be in the opponents half, with one opponent between them and the goal line, in front of the ball, and interfering with play and seeking to gain an advantage when the ball is played. Not necessari!h played forward.
    A player jumping up and down in front of a goalkeeper following a short corner could be a case in point.
    Yes you’re right thanks - I wonder how many managers would even know that.

On a similar note I recall Karl Robinson going mental because a team was awarded an offside free kick inside our half which again was the right decision (because that’s where the offence occurred as he had run back from an offside position to receive the ball).
  • Options

1. Twice in a home game recently Pearce stepped into his area and played the ball from a goal kick. The ref quite rightly made the keeper retake it (as is the rule) if a forward closes down a short goal kick what advantage does he get if the defenders steps inside the area to avert the danger ?

Solution
    A free kick to the attacking side where the offence occurred.

2. A ball is going out of play slowly behind the defender so he leans into the attacker going away from the ball and obstructs the attacker.
    No problem if defender and ball go straight and he shields the ball.

Solution.
    A free kick to attacking team where offence takes place.

3. The winning team in added time puts on a sub with 10 seconds to go of the 5 minutes allocated for tactical reasons.

Solution
    Add another minute on. Not the 30 seconds which I believe is the allocated time.

The second time Pearce played it, it was from a free kick. Same rule apply though.

It would have also been retaken if the player closing down was in the penalty area when the kick was taken. Law best left as is in my opinion.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Redrobo said:

I don’t actually agree with the premise that the game has got less enjoyable. The demise of the hacker that has allowed gifted players to shine through is the best thing to ever happen in football.

The fact that Danny Mills gets it that the game has changed is most welcome. You have to be in control when making a tackle. Getting the ball is irrelevant. Dier’s tackle was for me borderline. But if you were the coach, would you want him attempting it? Poor decision by Dier for me.

As for amateur refs not being very good, just go and watch the coaches run the line in youth matches. They haven’t a clue on the off side rules.

Listen to the moans about handball, double jeopardy on a pen. If the coaches and young players don’t understand the laws, it is hardly surprising that so many think the refs are poor!

My son used to moan about refs, so he went on a course to become one. I had to go with him because of his age. Very enlightening it was too. The FA should offer all clubs the opportunity to at least hear an overview of the role, it could only help.

The truth is that very very few coaches, managers or players, certainly fans, pundits and commentators too, have actually even read the laws of football. It is a pretty simple game and everybody thinks they know the laws but they have not actually read them.
    A favourite example of mine is that the ball does not necessarily have to be played forward for a player to be offside. If you don't believe me, look up the offside law and tell me where I'm wrong.
    A player is in an offside position if nearer to the opponent’s goal line as both the ball and the second last opponent.

Since you can’t be closer to the goal line than the ball if played backwards to you, by definition the ball has to be played forwards.

Sorry but you are wrong.

SCENARIO: the most forward attacker is in an offside position and forward of the ball, which is in possession of a team mate. That team mate plays the ball across the goal but not forward. The player in an offside postion runs back and is the first player to touch the ball. He eas thus offside when the ball was played. The Offside Law (number 11 of 17), does not specifically state that the ball has to be played forward
  • Options
    Big mistake by Assistant Ref in Spurs match. Harry Kane given offside for interfering with play yet he was on the other side of goal to where the ball went in the goal.plus the keeper was in front of Kane.
  • Options

Big mistake by Assistant Ref in Spurs match. Harry Kane given offside for interfering with play yet he was on the other side of goal to where the ball went in the goal.plus the keeper was in front of Kane.

It was a shocker in all honesty.
  • Options
    Rules are there, but decisions obviously differ as individual interpretations come into play.

However, the most infuriating thing is the inconsistency of decisions, as Bow pointed out.